Alert by riverboat - FINISHED - Krick - 1/25th scale

David B....... I was just glad that I did'nt screw up any more while taking the damaged ones off,  and yes I did save some for myself!! :champagne-2:

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank:

The planking job looks pretty good. I have also had one those repair jobs and it is always good to get it done. Nice work.

Russ

Thanks Russ.... better to do it now,  while I'm still enthusiastic! :P

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Very nice planking Frank !

And that failure.....can you not tell anyone that the Cat is doing that ????? :D  :D

And with your skills you fix it ????? :P

Just leave the bottle with alcohol on the other side of the table ......

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

thanks for your comments  Matti, they are always welcomed !!

Sjors... I can't blame the cat, because I don 't have one, so I guess I'll have to take the blame :o

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Nice catch Frank. As you say, better to fix it now than curse it later. Perhaps you should consider getting a cat. ;)

Thanks Grant...... I have enough trouble with myself, so a cat is out of the question. :D

frank

USRC "ALERT"

nice save Frank......you'll have 'er back in shape in no time! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Denis ..... took me 4 re-makes to get that first strake back in to where it fits good. I'll post some pictures when I finish up the repair.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Wow---I go away for a few days and come back to a 1/2 completed ship.  Nice catch there, Frank.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Frank, that's a bugger, but I have no doubt the repair will come out perfect and to your usual high standard.

Just remember to be more careful next time mate, :P  :P :P  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

Update Time........ a couple pictures showing where I'm at with this build. I left off with a repair underway, well , that's completed and so is the installation of the last two upper strakes p.&s. ran into a little problem with the stern , but that's taken care of also.

this shows the s.b. side where I had to remove the 3rd and 4th planks from the top. all repaired.

post-73-0-06516500-1413426212_thumb.jpg

This one shows the stern planking flaring out too much. the transom wasn't going to fit properly so I had to reset the last two planks p&s .

post-73-0-05395600-1413426252_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-54848600-1413426283_thumb.jpg

Now the transom will fit

post-73-0-98385300-1413426326_thumb.jpg

Bulkhead tops removed

post-73-0-58421100-1413426353_thumb.jpg

Now I'll start fairing up the hull and start on the decking. Thanks for looking in.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Morning Frank,

A superb repair on the bow Frank, it's bordering on perfection mate, and a good catch and fix on those stern planks, well done.

That last pic from above shows just what a snub bow she has, it certainly belies the sleek lines of the hull.

Nice to see an update mate, they certainly get less and less from us old codgers don't they. :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hi Frank,

You see that you can do it without all those nice tools ????

Nice fix and now sanding and all that kind of stuff ?

Next week finished ??????? :D  :D  :D

Sjors

What damage?  There was damage? :)  Very nice work Frank, very clean planking.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Matti........ I just purchased a set of scrapers and I did the front of the stb.bow (the picture shown), it cleaned it up , but I think the picture is a

little flattering :P Thanks for your nice comment.

Denis........ nice to have you following along Denis. Thanks

Tony.........  yeah, the bow looks wide from the top view,  but when you look at it from the front it slims down as you get to the keel and

I hear you on the less updates :D

Dirk........  Good thing I look at your log of this build once in awhile, that's how I fond out the stern was fairing out too much.Thanks Dirk!!

Grant...... Thanks for looking in , your input is always welcome.

Sjors.......  I'm hoping for next week Sjors, but don't be too mad if it runs a little longer!! :D :D (like a year or two)

Mike.........   yeah, the repair came out alright, it took me long enough though. Good thing I have nothing else to do. :D

Thanks everyone for looking in, and thanks for all the likes too!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

your getting there Frank....that's what counts.   it'll be smooth sailing when you get 'er where you want her. :)  keep smiling Frank.......she's look'in real good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

your getting there Frank....that's what counts.   it'll be smooth sailing when you get 'er where you want her. :)  keep smiling Frank.......she's look'in real good!

Thanks Denis, re-dos are part of the game , and it seems like I'm really learning the game well :D

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 3 weeks later...

Update time is here again!! :D .... man,how time flies...... well, I've gotten a couple things done since our last meeting, the main being the finishing

of the hull  and beating it up a little. :P ...... I know weathering is not everyone's cup of tea and maybe considered very sinful :rolleyes: , but, being the sinner that I am,I went ahead and spoiled a fairly decent looking hull ( again ) trying to make it look like it just took on the whole British fleet   :D , Anyway,the pictures will give you a better idea of what I mean. The first set shows the stern pc. being shaped along with some bow pc's being shaped, it also shows the hull being finished after some scraping and light sanding.

The last ones, of course, show the mess I made of it. BUT............ it'll look alright when every thing comes together!! :D

As always, thanks for stopping by.

Frank

This wood was the easiest wood I ever had to bend.

post-73-0-81896800-1415485760_thumb.jpg

Waterways shaped and ready to install

post-73-0-74553800-1415485800_thumb.jpg

Bow piece starting to take shape, won't finish these until railing is installed.

post-73-0-91828200-1415485830_thumb.jpg

Heads to be attached to bow pc. later

post-73-0-62147800-1415485891_thumb.jpg

Last two pictures show the hull finished before staining

post-73-0-21403000-1415485988_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-46316200-1415486020_thumb.jpg

These pictures are showing what the hull looks like after taking on the British fleet!!   post-73-0-45667800-1415486110_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-63734600-1415486133_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-13331000-1415486156_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-13579300-1415486199_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-68653600-1415486225_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-28565500-1415486252_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for looking in, all comments are welcome good or bad!!

Frank

post-73-0-53624500-1415485940_thumb.jpg

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank,

Good post mate, just one thing you've left out, there are no holes in the side from the canon shot. ;)  ;) I know we lost you lot in the end but we did make a few holes along the way. :D  :D

It seems such a shame to distress all that lovely work you've done on the hull mate, that really is some fine planking. :(  :(

The waterways and heads are coming on fine and will no doubt look splendid when fitted to the ship, I know you know what your doing mate and I look forward to seeing further updates, ( that's code for "get your digit out"). :P  :P

I love what your doing here my friend.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

That turned out to be one fine planking job, Frank.  And your weathering makes her look like she spent 200 years in Buzzard's Bay ---- on the bottom!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I like the way it came out.........definitely has that  'been in the water'  look to her.   there is absolutely no problem in weathering a hull.....it gives it more depth..........but don't try and make her look  'too deep'  :D  :D   I sometimes wish I could weather like other folks do.....most of the time,  it happens to me by mistake ;)    great work,  my friend!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey I love your weathering on the hull. Looks a million bucks! Real neat and tidy job. Well done.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Frank

I wouldn't try weathering myself but you are a master at it. I want my ships to be straight out the yard but that is because I don't have your skills. Still, like Mobbsie, I'm a bit sad to see your great, fresh, planking being given a few dozen years of hell.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)