Alert by riverboat - FINISHED - Krick - 1/25th scale

HI Tony.......  the reason you couldn't see the mistake  was because I forgot to upload the picture :D .... what it was is that I cut the planks in back of the big grating too long so when I laid the remaining planks the treenail holes were not spot on in alignment, I just wasn't paying attention. You'd probably wouldn't have noticed it unless I pointed it out. Oh yeah, there's plenty of that stuff to go around out here, So grab the next flight and have yourself a real good time!!! :P :P

Hi Dennis........ Glad you like the deck, like I told Tony, you can  see why you couldn't find the mistake........Well most of the major building is done

I'll be working the transom and the head pieces next. . Thanks for stopping by...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Dave....... Dave....   I think actually she would be.. :D

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank

If you stain or use weathering agents with wood apart from painting it all you are doing is putting pigments into or on the wood.

When you apply the clear varnish it is free of pigments apart from a stain/varnish mix.

If you get a strip of wood and put the end in some water you will see how dark it will go, clear varnish will do the same thing may be not so much if you have stain or weathering agents on the wood but it will darken it.

Denis.

That deck is a real gem with that weathering.  Great effect!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice work, Frank.  I'm liking that deck.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Augie,Mark and Grant for your thoughts, they are always appreciated. I'm kind of relieved knowing others like the color of the decking,

for a minute there , just a minute thou :P , I had some doubts  :D

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Thank You Sjors...... Were there enough pictures ??  :P

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Looking great Frank.  You're a master at weathering techniques.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 4 weeks later...

really super progress Frank.....the deck is awesome!   nicely done on the weathering too  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Frank,

YES, your weathered deck looks super nice !

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I think we may be due an update mate, getting withdrawal symptoms here.

You don't want me getting symptoms now do you. :D  :D:P  :P  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Frank, you have never told us that you sold your soul to the devil. Achieving realistic weathering results like you've done is incredibly hard. I'm speechless. The hull and deck are completely amazing to the point that she looks like she was just pulled from duty and put in dry dock for refit!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

• 1 month later...

Well.....  here we go again ........ Up Date Time!,   It's been a while, I was laid up there for about 5 weeks with a bug I had a hard time shaking off, but everything is back to normal, so hopefully I can be a little more aggressive with the up dates :P I"m pretty well finished with the deck work outside of installing some cleats I have on order from Chuck..... and some minor touch up work., following are some pictures of whats been done so far. Thanks for looking in.

Frank

These next three pictures show the deck bitts being made

post-73-0-97961600-1430776933_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-33134100-1430776970_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-71938900-1430776990_thumb.jpg

The next two are of the cap pc for the stern and a facia for the bottom .

post-73-0-74789300-1430777023_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-17321400-1430777052_thumb.jpg

The following are of the oars and rudder, tiller& stove pipe...... and the last few pictures show everything installed on deck.

post-73-0-89007300-1430777076_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-53128900-1430777130_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-01165900-1430777175_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-60969200-1430777225_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-14669000-1430777269_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-32904800-1430777302_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-66417300-1430777325_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-33795400-1430777396_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-34530600-1430777431_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-05290500-1430777453_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-39112500-1430777473_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-08845900-1430777515_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-93965100-1430777545_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-53970100-1430777567_thumb.jpg

Well, that's it for today, Thanks again to all of you looking in!! Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Great Scott .... so much to take in.  Love the pintles/gudgeons and the pumps.  That's not to say I don't like the creative bending.  Brute force triumphs once again!

Nice work, Frank.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Glad to hear you're feeling better and able to get back in the Shipyard Frank. Nice progress too.

Thanks .... Augie..Lawrence...Dave..Grant... Denis P.......David B..... for looking in and your nice comments.... It's always nice to hear from all of you.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Looking great, Frank.  Stay away from those bugs.. they seem to be pretty nasty. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry to hear you've not been well mate but very glad to see you back.

All of the above Frank and more besides.

I love what I'm seeing mate and seeing what I love, she's looking absolutely brilliant.

I am confused however when you say you have a little touching up to make, where ?

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Frank, glad to see you're feeling better.  Really great progress on your build.  I still can't get over how nicely you weathered the hull.  :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

glad to hear your feeling better..........some nice progress you made there!   that big cannon on the deck means business...deck fittings looks super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mark,Tony Mike , Denis..... thanks for stopping by.... I'm feeling much better now,so thanks again for the well wishes

Tony, I just need to weather up some small places I touched up with paint.

frank

USRC "ALERT"