La Nina by clearway - Artesania Latina

3ce1bd95ee7fd7b00314.jpg

box of goodies! note i have already removed the main deck and frames.

7aa0101a0ae5a205204c.jpg

frames and deck assembeled.

Next decision after planking is whether to install the deck beams before sanding the frames to shape to offer some support to the bulwark timbers as they are rather flimsy- especially the poop deck ones (instructions suggest sanding frames first).

Keith

Edited by clearway

88610f8dc0bae4213df0.jpg

Decided to fix the deck beams in place before sanding. Hopefully have nice weather this weekend so i can sand the frames to shape outside (don,t have an extraction system in my workshop). One thing i was dissapointed with was the amount of timber to remove from the deck edges and the amount of space around the frames when the deck was fastened in place- being laser-cut i thought they would have got it a bit "tighter"

Keith

ty shihawk- i have always had a couple of projects on the go at once as well as building military vehicles and railway modelling- stops things getting stale!

059c485b5b04790767d4.jpg

planking of hull in place- next the waterways then the bulwark planking- will need to make frames for the overhang on the stern as i am not using the "double skin" method.

Keith

Edited by clearway

Change of plan! Removed the brass pins from the planking then gave it a course sanding then installed first bulwark plank in place before installing the waterways.

8a678e78bc953682d4d0.jpg

pins removed and rough sanded.

36de62c180ddd4b4f6ed.jpg

bulwark plank installed- used clamps as opposed to nails on head timbers to avoid snapping them.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

post-12326-0-16667500-1400226067_thumb.jpg

Poor nina has taken a back seat with the planking of my victory taking priority at the moment. The last planks for the stern section are now in and the anchor deck has been sanded to size and trial fitted. Next is to trim the poop deck to size and make frames for the stern/transom.

Keith

• 1 year later...

Hi mohamed, i didn't realise about the lack of Nina logs on the web. I soak the planks in warm water for a couple of hours then "tweak" them to the required shape between thumb and fingers. Must get back to Nina- since that pic was taken the poop and anchor decks have been trimmed to fit, but Victory has been taking prominence in the shipyard.

Keith

I know the feeling Keith on building more than one at a time.

But never in wood ships lol.

Great stuff me old mucker.

I to dabble in railroads, this being a G Gauge D&RGW one.

But that's in store at the mo,  I see do oo.

Keep em coming.

Frank  :piratebo5:

Edited by foxy

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Keith,

Great to see you're back working on Nina. Do you have any progress pics since your last post?