Newsboy 1854 by Pete Jaquith - Model Shipways - Brigantine

Pete:  Thanks for the description of how you reduced the hull thickness to accommodate the planking, it's a bit clearer now.  I will definitely contact you when I begin the planning for Newsboy and greatly appreciate your offer to forward any sketches/drawings used for preparing the solid hull for planking and coppering.  The beauty of these mid 19th century packet ships like Newsboy, Volante, Leon etc. is that one can build a model that incorporates much of the "extreme" clipper ship architecture (hull lines, deck furnishings, iron work, rigging etc.) without the space required to build a model of an extreme clipper.  It's a pleasure to view the workmanship you've put into this project.  Maybe someday you can put it in book form like the Anatomy of the Ship" series of books - that would be amazing!  Looking forward to more of Newsboy when you get back to her

Regards,

Rob Dondorf

Valley Stream, NY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Kirby,

It is good to hear from you.  I have just completed three years working 1st at Irving Shibuilding in Halifax NS; and, then at Vancouver Shipbuilding in North Vancouver, BC.  Linda and I have relocated to San Diego, CA and I am currently reestablishing my work shop in the garage.  I will then go back to work on my Newsboy and Fair American  builds.  Please give my best to the North Shore Club members.

Regards,

Pete

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

I certainly will do!  Be sure to visit us at mvsmc.org - I post the pictures from each month's meetings.

I'm following this thread with interest, as I have a build that needs to be completed before the end of April, for a friend.  The vessel is the "Morning Star", a missionary packet ship built in Boston, and purchased by Sunday School children's pennies in 1868.  

I've included some pictures below.  The ever-helpful Alex Bellinger has completed Newsboy in a bottle, and seeing as that's the format for this ship, and she's rigged fairly closely, I'll be using Newsboy's lines and sail plan for mine (and leaning deeply into Alex's experience and support). I believe that scaling the Model Shipways plans down to 1/8:1 will provide me with a workable size.  

You'll be glad to know I'm using my grandfather's triangular scale ruler from his SJ Shipbuilding days for the project...

post-17467-0-08137300-1421253264_thumb.jpg

post-17467-0-71292300-1421253264.jpg

post-17467-0-19175100-1421253265.jpeg

Very nice work there Pete. I can't wait to see this one go farther. You look like your almost done. Looking great. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

Nice to have you back Pete. Enjoy San Diego.

FYI  There are more retired Admirals living in San Diego then served in all of WWII

• 1 month later...

Wow !  Late to the party on this beautiful work !  - Amazing job, & I look forward to following along.

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Beautiful model Pete,

looking great, you sure know how to use those sharp chisseles.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

fantastic work Pete,

very nice and accurate hull....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 1 year later...

Modeler Bob,

Several years ago I laid up my Brigantine Newsboy 1854 and 14 Gun Brig Fair American circa 1780 to pursue a series of full scale shipbuilding projects.  I have since relocated to Indio CA.  Once we get the house set up I hope to establish a small shop in the garage.  Although I continue to support full scale shipbuilding programs, I hope to have more time at home and plan to pick up construction of the afore mentioned models.

Regards,

Pete

Shipbuilder

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Pete, I just found your excellent log on the Newsboy. I have the solid hull kit that I started many years ago. Your work and log are truly inspiring to renew my

efforts on the Newsboy. I'm currently building the Confederacy so it will be awhile but you have helped me decide what will be next in the shipyard.

Your attention to detail and information included in your log will be a great help for me and others who accept the Newsboy challenge.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and construction methods.

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

You do beautiful work! I was actually trying to learn more about the George F Campbell print. I purchased a copy at auction a few years ago and cannot locate any information on it. Your model build is one of the only sites that come up when I search “Brig Newsboy 1854” . Do you have any information you would share?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete, 

A technical question and I think one of a lot of discussion.

I have all the plans and am starting to understand how to lay out my frames ( I am going to build a framed model, or try to do so).

There is ~ a 2 deg drag in the boat.  It is drawn with stations (and looks to be frames ) perpendicular to the water line. From this I am thinking that the frames are set perpendicular to the water line and not the frame.  At least that is what I am thinking I see.

I have all of Mr. Cothers books and am going to frame according to it.  There is a large section on frames and keels.

I am thinking to put the frames in perpendicular to the water line and not the keel.  Is my thinking correct?

Thanks for all your help!

Guy

The Road goes ever on and on

Out from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

Let others follow it who can!

Let them a journey new begin,

But I at last with weary feet

Will turn towards the lighted inn,

My evening-rest and sleep to meet.