On 6/22/2017 at 11:51 PM, mtaylor said:

Had the doctor appointment today... heart good with minor issue consistent with age, check, lungs.. will be ok (or not get any worse) if I stop smoking... check (working on it).  brain... there is some "damage" but could be from an old whack on the head... check.    Vision is back, hands are steady as she goes, and it seems to be firing on all cylinders with an occasional miss now and then.  I'll testing myself hopefully this weekend.  Next doctor visit scheduled for 6 months out.  :)

Thanks for all the good thoughts  and well wishes.  They made this trial a lot easier to get through.  

Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I ever attempted. I tried cold turkey, acupuncture, patches,gum, hypnotism three times. Finally one morning I was out walking dog, could hardly breath, smoking a death stick and realized I was killing myself and needed to quit. It does not matter how many people tell you you need to quit as it won't work. You need to tell yourself you need to quit and you need to mean it. All my failures were due to me not really wanting to quit. I finally went to the doctor and requested a prescription to Chantix. Within a week I was smoke free and have been since 2010. You will not believe how much better you will feel.  

Mark

I'm going to share something with you that I think you can appreciate. 

I never smoked a cigarette until I joined the Marine Corps. But it was only three cigarettes a day (remember those days of "cigarettes in the sea bag at all times unless smoking lamp was lit?"). No big deal I thought, only three a day. As years went by it became five a day, then six, then 10, until finally a pack or more a day. Truth is, I really never wanted to quit. In a way, was scared I couldn't quit.

Then one morning it dawned on me...you are a Marine, damn it. You can do anything you need to do, just do it. 

I made my mind up right then and there I had done so many more difficult things in my life, this would be a piece of cake. I put those cigarettes down three years ago and never looked back. No patches, no prescriptions, just quit. You can do it, Marine. I know you can and so do you.

Semper Fi

Craig

Just catching up a little this morning.

Sorry to hear about  troubles reported by Mark John Jesse et al.

I find that I tend to worry myself about little things, then I hear about some of the serious things that are happening to friends and here on the forum and realize that my worries are trivial, Wishing you all good health and worry free lives.

Mark I have to "pipe up" pun intended regarding the smoking. After beginning at 15 and ending up smoking 2 packs of 25 a day after 25 years I quit in 1986 if I had not done that I would not be here I would be dead. 

As has been remarked You have to want to quit smoking, all else is noise!

My understanding is that Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to man, and that after 72 hours the nicotine is out of the body all the rest is psychological.

My dad died of Emphysema it was due to smoking.

I started running marathons in 1997, 11 years after stopping smoking I would not have been able to do that ( I am not recommending marathons by the way, they are boring and I quit that too after doing a few)

We do have a lot of control over what we put into our mouths whether to breath or eat food or drink which affects our lives and it is up to us to make those choices.

I look forward to seeing many more posts about your progress on Licorne.

wishing you good health and well being.

Michael

Michael, if you stopped smoking in 1986 then according to a couple of my own doctors you are now considered medically to have never smoked.  I quit around the same time as you did give or take a year. The lungs will heal themselves over time. At least that's what two of my doctors told me.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a large Bladder Stone removed today. Words you don't want to hear " Hi my name is Michael, I am a medical student and I am going to insert your I.V." After about 10 minutes of moving about, in out left right he called it quits. Then I saw him get a new IV set and move to my left hand. Great. But the HM3 had it in painlessly in about ten seconds. I asked the Corpsman if the medical student was also learning Laser Bladder Stone Removal because I could just put this off😜. So here I sit, on pain Meds with a catheter about 3/8 in diameter shoved inside of me just loving life. Get it out Friday, can't wait.

4 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

Had a large Bladder Stone removed today. Words you don't want to hear " Hi my name is Michael, I am a medical student and I am going to insert your I.V." After about 10 minutes of moving about, in out left right he called it quits. Then I saw him get a new IV set and move to my left hand. Great. But the HM3 had it in painlessly in about ten seconds. I asked the Corpsman if the medical student was also learning Laser Bladder Stone Removal because I could just put this off😜. So here I sit, on pain Meds with a catheter about 3/8 in diameter shoved inside of me just loving life. Get it out Friday, can't wait.

Hi Jim

I wish you all the very best for a quick and painless recovery.  I had kidney stones removed last year; so I kinda know what you're going through!  I certainly don't envy you.  

Take care.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hope everything goes well for you Jim. I know all about the fishing around trying to get an IV in. I go through it quite often. There are certain nurses that I dread to see if they are going to take blood or something. Yet if the Dr. does it himself, I hardly even know there is a need le in me.

Jesse

Edited by JesseLee
4 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Hi Jim

I wish you all the very best for a quick and painless recovery.  I had kidney stones removed last year; so I kinda know what you're going through!  I certainly don't envy you.  

Take care.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

Thanks for the good wishes Patrick. I had Kidney Stones removed in 2014 and this is the same procedure just lower in the tract.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

I wish I never had to post in this thread: During the past few weeks I developed what's called "trigger finger" in my right middle finger. It is a painful situation in which, besides constant pain in the region where the finger joins the palm, when you bend the finger it "locks" and then it takes a very painful effort to get it straight back.

I had surgery yesterday by a plastic surgeon with specialty in hand surgery. My right hand is still numb and sloppy. Can't use it for anything that requires finesse or precision... yet.

This interrupts my ship building, my guitar playing, my pen turning and my house moving. :(

I hope this ends soon! :)

Edited by Ulises Victoria
  • 6 months later...
On 8/23/2017 at 5:18 AM, Jack12477 said:

Once stitches were removed 10 days post op, hand felt better and bending fingers got easier.  Hang in there you will feel better soon.  

Just now came across this topic.

Had it done on both hands. (One at a time) When the did my left hand I could tell when they went through all the cartilage. I gave this huge sigh of relief. Told the doc I could feel those fingers for the first time in 8 years.

• 4 months later...