HMS Victory by clearway - Billing Boats - 1/75

I have read through your post and viewed your photos. It does seem a monster but patience is key...and research....and help from fine folks on here it will be beautiful when complete. I do love the colors but have not decided to do post or pre colors. I need to do a lot of research. I will post each step as I go and I welcome any comments or insight from all!

9 hours ago, Matthew Kassebaum said:

I have read through your post and viewed your photos. It does seem a monster but patience is key...and research....and help from fine folks on here it will be beautiful when complete. I do love the colors but have not decided to do post or pre colors. I need to do a lot of research. I will post each step as I go and I welcome any comments or insight from all!

I have bookmarked you and will be watching your progress.

Ty for comments and views all- still recommend doing a small build to get the hang of model shipbuilding before doing Victory though matthew.

Work continues on the tops'l yard with sheets and clewlines rigged.

1450312956_Main_topyard_sheets_and_clewline1.thumb.jpg.eda0ee32437b3187445bb89d1241ca13.jpg

766169675_Victory_stern__view1.thumb.jpg.09e3e9c3bc7938b1817b8a2546a1feab.jpg

Next job will be the topyard lifts and the halliards on the final maintopmast backstay (leave backstays as late as possible to allow easier access)

Take care all

Keith

work continues on the mainmast with the tops'l yard lifts rigged and belayed- when bending the topgallant yard realized i hadn't rigged the mizzen royal stays!

the mass of straggly ends at the top of the mast are the t'gallant backstays waiting for glue on knots to dry and be trimmed.

2036450234_Main_yard_topgallant1.thumb.jpg.df666dd885033c3b260a708424fd0867.jpg

take care all

Keith

I'm in the process of doing inventory and writing instructions using those given.  By putting things down in my own words I will, in a way, be building the ship in my mind.  As I go along I will change my instructions to reflect gained knowledge.  Hopefully there will be fellows like yourself that will be advising me.  I probably would have done this without the website but it is much more interesting studying the work that you and others do.  It will certainly make for building a better ship.

Thanks for the encouragement,

thanks for the comments, likes and views everyone- hope the piccies are helping gieb8688.

bit more progress with the deadeyes for the main t'gallant mast attached to backstays using ye old mark 3 deadeye spacer (high tech precision engineering🤣) mk1 and 2 got lost years ago!, also got the card bands on the fore yard and fore topyard.

1019099299_Deadeye_spacer1.thumb.jpg.71b00ef28f7561eb43c96860db4aec2a.jpg

1100634724_Fore_yard_bands1.thumb.jpg.4d6c70b88ad0dee17218d10bafc2bd3d.jpg

take care all and keep up the good work everyone.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Those deadeyes are great fun.

Help!  I have a frame that is designed to support the poop deck and it fits very loose onto the keel (it wobbles).  What technique could be used to make it fit tighter? I could put strips alongside but I was wondering if there is any other way.

Hi emmet- i would use packing like you are considering - use strip inserted into the slot that goes either side of keel and sand back a little then marry up in stages till it is a snug fit if that makes sense.

Keith

thanks as always for looking in everyone. work still progressing on main topgallant yard, but in the meantime gave the mainyard stuns'l booms a coat of light oak stain/ varnish - cant decide if they look o.k. or if i should sand back and paint them black like the yard?1319724027_20200508_1943231.thumb.jpg.b9f0c48fb18abf1f924517aa4cbafe4f.jpg

take care all

Keith

ty emmet-the ones on her now are varnished with black paint each end- still trying to decide if i should do that, leave them all varnished or go all black- this is where having a ciggy and pondering your model came in handy- will have a cup of tea in the morning while scrutinising them🙂

Keith

Hi Keith, 

The stunsail booms look really good as they are but as an alternative I saw in a photo of the Victory taken at Portsmouth a while ago when she was fully rigged and the stunsail booms were painted yellow ochre in the centre and black on each end. I don't know how historically accurate that is but it how I painted mine on the Victory bow section.

1652657785_StunsailYards4.JPG.aed35e65745ec46232e08b89f82e667a.JPG

Or alternatively just paint the end s black. Just my two bob's worth, I hope I haven't confused the situation to much!

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Ty for input guys and i am still deciding as left light in colour i can see them and less likely to poke my eyes out, though i must admit that does look nice jeff- hmmmm choices🤨.

back in ye olde shipyard and the t'gallant yard is ready for lifts, clewlines and sheets.232280289_Mainmast_topgallant_waiting_rigging1.thumb.jpg.2701d569b63322da6f7544277e6ca938.jpg

also rigged the t'gallant tye.

430679860_Main_topgallant_tye1.thumb.jpg.1fb2ebe49f3dad52b540eaea1e600568.jpg

also a while back invested in a set of victory lanterns from caldercraft via the model dockyard- one on left is replacement one on right is the generic billings fitting!

1495258099_Lantern1.jpg.a29c27eb7418b8910ca3897dadb539b7.jpg

take care all and thanks to all who pop in for a gander.

Keith

Ty jeff and the caldercraft ones are 1/72 not 1/75! have decided after looking at the pic you sent to do a halfway compromise- paint the inboard end black (also need to add a crutch for when lashed to the yard) and leave the rest varnished- safe to say i haven't consulted the billings rigging plans for some time as they miss/ compromise a lot (bit strange as their cutty sark rigging was pretty comprehensive)!

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

23 hours ago, clearway said:

have decided after looking at the pic you sent to do a halfway compromise- paint the inboard end black (also need to add a crutch for when lashed to the yard) and leave the rest varnished

That should look very nice.

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

got the topgallant sheets and clewlines rigged- nearly totalled the build by accidentally catching one of the yards when belaying the lines- safe to say lots of self depreciaton and fluttery bowels (she didn't half rock on the building cradle)🤕😵.

1784920692_Victory_topgallant_rigged_11.thumb.jpg.30a1ca316030aab685922dccca6e15f3.jpg

1453990_Victory_topgallant_rigged_21.thumb.jpg.de0a5ede1b1cbdb3d670260eedb9d3e0.jpg

next up the lifts

take care all

Keith

Ty Emmet and ty for the likes and views as always everyone, and yep it might be an idea! Luckily i have a dedicated modelling cave which the admiral seldom ventures into- it's mineeeeeeeeeee allllllllll mineeeeeeee hahahahahahaha:piratetongueor4::dancetl6:🤪, but bon the serious side the yards are sooooooo wide i nearly head but them when sitting down even tho the hull is 18 inches back from edge- need to sit up straighter when sitting down!

Keith

I have been thinking about how you have to stand a lot-something I have trouble with.  I am going to have to make work surfaces at different levels. Tinkering with the yards looks interesting and requires diligence and dedication. I thoroughly enjoy viewing your work.

This arrangement is impressive.

image.png.495356bca82194e6fe91f8bd3cd47cf7.png

Ty for the comments likes and views folk- yes Emmet the main topgallant yard is on eye level when on the bench (i am 5' 10") - yours wont be as bad being smaller scale but you will still need to stand so lower work station would be a good idea for you.

back in yo olde shipyard and the main topgallant lifts are rigged and finally got round to finishing the rigging of the main topgallant stay to is collar on the foretop.

1672774426_Main_topgallant_lifts1.thumb.jpg.8a0ead8276ed25f9b3e4e6e5fec7e036.jpg

1204844120_Main_topgallant_stay1.thumb.jpg.51c005eef25db8ee8d0c2561fcbac5cf.jpg

take care all

Keith