HMS Victory by clearway - Billing Boats - 1/75

Ty Bossman glad you like her, Emmet all the standing rigging is in black (stays, shrouds, backstays and strops) but where the stays running forward are connected to the mast collars or strops on the tops, i used a light grey thread- the white blob is the P.V.A. that had just been applied. Any rigging to the deadeyes on the shrouds and backstays is white) I was going to stain all the running rigging using tea leaves but because the model depicts her as she looked within past 40 years left the running rigging white as per you see now- so any white rigging you see is for trimming the yards and sails- if modelling her Trafalgar style then you will need to model the bows in the style Caldercraft have depicted.

Hope that makes sense.

Keith

Edited by clearway
missed info

I will be thinking about that topic.  Authenticity is important.  So you made the ropes white using glue, is that right.  I will have to look up builds of Caldercraft.  I was thinking of buying the Caldercraft model but it is just too big for my shipyard.

Hi Emmet- the rigging chord from billings is white-but the lashing behind the foremast doubling looks white because it had just been glued- for the lashings on the stays to the yards i used some light grey thread bought from a sewing shop as white looked too obtrusive- on this pic i have enlarged the lashing and you will see the strops for the topgallant shrouds belayed to the deadeyes.

13747915_Victory_topgallant_strop1.thumb.jpg.218d229edef0f782e869a74eb6438035.jpg

hope this helps explain more clearly

also in ship yard been tidying some of the spaghetti in the waist before i start on foremast.1156853954_Belaying1.thumb.jpg.5b6ba10037e3ed639875e037122ba6c5.jpg

take care all

Keith

I can never get the tail end of the lines to hang properly to look any good so I cut them off and make them separately which sometimes I am still not happy with but yours look great.

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Thanks as always for views likes and comments everyone. Got all the rigging on the quarter deck stored away on the belaying pins and made progress on the foreyard- omg foreyard at last! Nearly glued the railing in place before the mainmast, but realised i will have to rig the mizzen crossjack braces so will need access still.

969674812_Victory_quarter_deck1.thumb.jpg.d8bad68f49a903383b172b255421c5dd.jpg

1528610620_Fore_yard_and_boom_irons1.thumb.jpg.7a7abb3915b9fb551681dec52a000a53.jpg

enclosed this shot of the rail to show the brass pins that will hold it in place.

628525810_Quarter_deck_rail1.thumb.jpg.36250c6723c14ef580a2c3943e9583a2.jpg

take care all

Keith

Thank you Keith- it will explain a few things- they might have done things with the rig on exploration ships slightly different, but i imagine the rigging for controlling the yards and sails would have followed standard naval practice- will explain them sheaves set into the bulwarks abaft the masts for example. The kevels just before the steps to the poop deck are for the topyard tyes which lowered the yard and raised it, and the two on the entry way inline with the mainmast are for the mainyard lifts.

Keith

And so a story.

It was 1957 and I had just flown in from Weisbaden to Bovingdon.  A captain who was cold in the back of the plane got us into the cockpit area, We were able to see London from the bubble on top of the plane. The Captain also took us in a staff car to the Union Jack Club in Elepehant & Castle fust across the Westminster bridge from the Parliament. When you mentioned the Cumbrian accent I thought right away about the Limey paratroopers we met at the Union Jack. A dollar a night with breakfast.  Their accents were we thought cockney-something out of Eliza in Pygmalion. We did drink tea.  Took a couple of young Brit beauties to see south Pacific-cueing up as it were.

Went back with the Admiral in 2009 but no more Union Jack.  We did drive all over England and went thought Cumbria on our way to Bath and Stonehenge.  We were going this year to London to see more places on the man Churchill but the virus stopped us cold.

accents in the u.k are tricky to people over the pond- everyone thinks we talk like the queen or eastenders cast! cumbrian accent is kind of unique along with liverpudlian, lancashire, north east and yorkshire accents- watch open all hours, and james herriott series if available to get an idea of northern accents- along with ant and deck for north eastern accent😁

Accents are great!  The West Virginia accent here is awesome. While similar to other Southern accents it just has a special ring to it. I remember a Kentucky acquaintance we had told my young son to "get the fol Bob".Bob was stumped. she got the foil and hit hi on the head with it. Often when we watch English movies we need closed cap to know what is being said. Unfortunately here in the States only a NY accent is permitted on tv-such a shame. I will look for Heriott-"If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans".

It seems PBS carries it but with us living in a rural area, public tv cannot afford for us to watch it.

Anyway back to finishing cannon holders and gratings. 

Some seriously stunning rigging going on there. Looks great. Your rope coils look the part. I hope i can be able to do that.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I agree with Scott  - wondeful work, and may I say  that quarter deck  gives such a large impression of space.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

TY Scott and O.C. - before i started rigging the yards i would move victory off the workbench and onto the dining room table - walked out of my modelling room to find the cat with his back legs still on the table but the front paws on the quarter deck and his head squeezed between the mizzen stays trying to play with the quarter deck guns the little s@!t- it was interesting trying to extricate him🤔🤪🤯😱

hello and thanks for likes views and comments everyone- as always they are appreciated.

the fore yard has now been painted and varnished with two coats of Ronseal acrylic varnish.

1433345864_Fore_yard_painted_and_varnished1.thumb.jpg.85364c30169131144c65c5d381faf380.jpg

while working on the rope strops for the blocks on the yard i thought i would show how i go about it- not prototypical but does me!

first clamp the strop to the block (poor admirals long suffering peg collection)

1456802838_Rope_strop_11.thumb.jpg.1a82529c0060397fa3b1e02d7ec08670.jpg

then using sewing thread tie an overhand knot first one side then the other until at least 7 turns have been done, then tie off with a double knot and glue with P.V.A.

2026037034_Rope_strop_21.thumb.jpg.ab5d98e428f90de6b7d96612535fc87c.jpg

when dried cut off any part of strop not needed and sewing thread ends then form eye by clamping again- in true t.v.fashion here's one i prepared earlier!

206682486_Rope_strop_31.thumb.jpg.db06a0b072a0c7c18d95fc263a5e4986.jpg

repeat with sewing thread and ta-da

1192314681_Rope_strop_41.thumb.jpg.2abc72002345048992d770e0e98c2c4e.jpg

after drying trim off excess not needed.

take care all

Keith

Nice to see the details.  Back on La Nina I did similar but found that I had to glue the strops to the block for them to stay. Time will come when I will be doing more of it and it will be something to remember.  I also put bees wax on the strops before tying to the blocks. 

yes the blocks above have rope strops the wire is for others- my wire is a little finer - also can use it to make eyebolts and hooked blocks- the blocks at base of mainmast and on yard  pics are stropped with iron wire.

yard with iron stropped blocks

416442838_Iron_wire_blocks1.jpg.5ba4f67e9aabcf1df1c620ca04be1051.jpg

and blocks with iron strop with hook

562618878_Hooked_blocks1.jpg.1181ee62ae4424bb672eafb67f6fda6e.jpg

i know you like extreme close ups Emmet😉

Keith

I like the idea of doing things like that.  The pressed wood stuff is depressing looking. I hope I can figure a way around using it.  I guess it may be OK for a few applications.

Thanks for showing me how you use the wire.  Annealed wire is quite strong. I have used heavy stuff in the past.  I remember fixing a steel porch table with it.

this is why you see a lot of people (including the advise post at the start of build logs) advising against big complicated models like victory and constitution- this has taxed me at times and i have built and finished around 12 ships before this one. serious advise is to finish the framing then get a smaller kit (billings "Norden" is fairly cheap and you can practice tapering planking etc before tackling this monster hull). Then resume the victory build.

Keith

I have a Santa Maria kit but plan on using it when we go South in October. I appreciate your advice but to tell the truth, if I am not able to see a cardiologist soon for my heart tests, my sons may have to finish it.  I think I can handle the first planking.  To be honest this looks easier than the La Nina.  Actually what bothers me is not doing some other things correctly that i will not be able to fix after planking. E. G. I am hesitant about doing upper deck as it may get in my way not to mention the directions about the poop are a reflection of the word itself. Thanks for being a friend and giving me your ideas.

you are welcome Emmet- the above comment was for Matthew as he has never built a wooden ship before. as regards your Vic you are doing the correct thing in hesitating and thinking through because yes the main gun deck is a bugger to get into when all decks and skid beams are in place. hope you get the attention you need to get on the mend again and see her finished.

Keith