HMS Victory by clearway - Billing Boats - 1/75

Sorry, I did realize it was for Matthew after the fact but I still mean it that way.  As for getting attention it is not happening these days.

and yes I am thinking all the way through many things.  While beginning work on the bow fillers I am trying to figure out how all the parts fit together around the breakhead bulkhead.  The bridge timbers are mystifying me along with the shape of the Keel in that area.  I see where the bowsprit will be tied off through the Breakhead piece but cannot, from the drawings, see how the bridge timbers fit in.  I was just now looking for a log that might give me a clue. I chucked the timbers in there for clarity-duh.

Bridgehead.jpg.715cdca552fdb6ad866a1f8c241ca526.jpg

hmmm not good times for anyone Emmeti have heard similar stories from people im u.k.

om the victory bow i see no stepped cut outs in the beak which is nice of them!  the gratings actually curve upwards as they leave the bow deck- the pieces for forming the supports should be upright and at 90 degrees ton the keel there should be a side elevation in the plans but i have never built a kit from them guys so not sure which way they go around it. found this pic in an old modelling book.

144000547_Beak1.thumb.jpg.423f65ccdd6fe5ba8a10686c5b7cda14.jpg

take care and hope things get better for you soon.

Keith

That helps. The seats of ease are not shown in my diagram.  I assume that the sails are tied off to the knightheads.  I wonder if the bowsprit is tied off to the seats of ease.   a couple of these bridge timbers (or perhaps all) I have seem to be for that purpose.  Thanks for the input. It will come together.

Hi Emmet- the seats of ease are a polite way of saying toilets- long drop non flushing open air type-  the quarter galleries on the stern are for the ranking officers toilets and the midshipmans toilet is in the semi circular bulkhead in the bow. the gammoning for the bowsprit goes through an elongated hole you see in the bolster marked B in the diagram, and the sails tie of to the timberheads on the f'cstle.

Keith

thanks for views likes and comments everyone- back in the shipyard and work progressing slowly on the foreyard,

got the strops on the jeer blocks finished47704304_Jeer_block_strop1.thumb.jpg.371ffb702cd77c9202697f530c2a43a5.jpg

also got the Admirals lantern in place behind the main top1190244301_Admirals_lantern1.thumb.jpg.46a69cd480ac4b9f1fab3e96b3a16009.jpg

while looking at the bow area realised i hadn't properly rigged the fore t'gallant stays-

long tackle block seized

56327614_Fore_tgallant_stay_long_tackle1.thumb.jpg.aa61de800e15713b7df7cc7a93686f60.jpg

and rigged to hooked block on knighthead16616946_Tgallant_halliard_rigged1.thumb.jpg.75fca2a6f75789f1e11722737360ea1e.jpg

- tail end not permanently glued yet.

take care all

Keith

TY and Yes Emmet the jeers on the yard are towards the middle and rig to the three way blocks stropped to the masthead- they along with the sling take the weight of the yard - see earlier posts for rigging main yard- and are near the trusses,

Keith

Ty Jeff- yep as already mentioned and shown earlier in log the billings supplied one was humungous! Pssst Emmet the seats of ease are there just below and infront of the block on the knighthead😉- hope they didn't hit a big wave when mid job😱🤢

Keith

thanks for looking in everyone- back in the shipyard with victory and it's deja vu time-got the long tackles for the topping lift and tops'l sheet on the foreyard and the trusses in place - next job the jeer blocks on the foreyard and the stuns'l boom irons on the topyard.1846965657_Fore_yard_and_fore_top_yard1.thumb.jpg.71674f34a95c1ba059d6c438cdbe934a.jpg

take care all

Keith

lol Keith- the trusses are what hold the yard to the mast and the pendants are the block assemblies that hold it to the deck and allow adjustment. The jeers are the blocks on top of the yard and take the weight along with the sling- you will have to do a slightly altered version of this on your terror as occre cut corners surprise surprise😉

Keith

38 minutes ago, clearway said:

lol Keith- the trusses are what hold the yard to the mast and the pendants are the block assemblies that hold it to the deck and allow adjustment. The jeers are the blocks on top of the yard and take the weight along with the sling- you will have to do a slightly altered version of this on your terror as occre cut corners surprise surprise😉

Keith

I wish we were neighbours, so we could just talk about ships over the garden wall. 

Surprise, no surprise. I'm sure Occre just stuck a simplified and generic barque rig on her. I have a feeling the extent of their "research" for this model was a superficial glance at Matthew Betts' blog... and since Matthew hasn't masted or rigged his model yet...

Oh well. The research and discussion is proving to be the most rewarding part of building this model.

it would make life easier if we lived closer keith i agree lol- the masting and rigging book will explain a lot and if in doubt ask and i will advise as best i can- occre did get some parts kind of right but with this billings victory the trusses wern't actually in the instructions and they put jeers on the mizzen which she didn't have so it's a common problem- don't know if i'm breaking copyright but found a still from the terror series showing the boat skids and one of those davits- note square davit post with round derrick coming off it- think some sort of gooseneck fitting would have been used. i will post it on my terror build if you are interested

Keith

Coming along nicely Keith, don't know if this will help but according to Longridge the fore yard lifts reeve through a sheave in the kevel and then belay to it.

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

thanks Jeff - i have the longridge book too but them guys can assume you know the basic details and don't go into too much detail as to actual belaying- i decided to just run it through the Kevel in the end but a block and tackle then into the kevel would have meant lighter work for the crew = suppose most of the weight is taken by the slings and jeers though.

Keith

work progresses with the yards- i have seen a few people asking how you attach the yards to the masts- easy use the rigging designed for the task- if you glue or nail the yard in place it could cause severe damage if accidentally caught and trust me i have been playing knock the yard arms with this one😵.

first shot shows one of the tyes rigged from the masthead through the block on the yard then through block attached to masthead before heading down to the kevel- process repeated in reverse as well to other side.

268634332_Fore_top_yard_tye1.thumb.jpg.72fa7e4cef5b6b82ed18cba872dd49ec.jpg

shot of foremast- next job will be to rig the parralls then yard will be hoisted to final position.

111335842_Victory_top_yard_bent1.thumb.jpg.0e0d0abcef4e4c37e405bfc476900dd2.jpg

take care all

Keith

On 6/9/2020 at 5:11 PM, clearway said:

suppose most of the weight is taken by the slings and jeers though.

Yes and the foreyard did not have a great distance to travel when they were setting sails.

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

back in the shipyard due to bad weather again- got the clewlines and lifts belayed for the fore topyard then can start on the fore t'gallant.

1546657635_Victory_fore_topyard_lifts1.thumb.jpg.03c1b388eb7ff90e4bf3ad972ecbf181.jpg

364158129_Victory_stern_view1.thumb.jpg.e8752ffe3f88d90ee67f381d2da78d12.jpg

take care all- just hope the rain remembers to stop - cumbria is the wettest area in england- suppose thats why its called the lake district and not the dried up riverbed district!

Keith