HMS Victory by clearway - Billing Boats - 1/75

Greetings keith

It appears that this could be my first visit since 2014. Well the quality of your work as maintained the same high standard  throughout your build.  Well done. My best advice is just keep enjoying it, but maybe slow down a bit. Regards DAVID.

Ty David and Emmet - we have had pretty good weather here til now for a change but it's now making up for it! found my winter messy workshop wall on the weather side needs either a 2nd skin or something because it gets damp on the inside of the planks when heavy rain and wind.

Keith

HI Emmet it was because the planking was rough cut and full of knots just felted and battened it (you guys might call it tar paper) as it isn't seen from the house garden on that wall and all good. Sod's law but during lockdown we had one of the warmest driest spring / early summers for years, now the hotels and bars are allowed to open it's never stopped raining! Glad to hear you are getting the hang of the planking😁.

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/6/2020 at 1:34 PM, clearway said:

thanks for the comments, likes and views everyone- hope the piccies are helping gieb8688.

bit more progress with the deadeyes for the main t'gallant mast attached to backstays using ye old mark 3 deadeye spacer (high tech precision engineering🤣) mk1 and 2 got lost years ago!, also got the card bands on the fore yard and fore topyard.

1019099299_Deadeye_spacer1.thumb.jpg.71b00ef28f7561eb43c96860db4aec2a.jpg

1100634724_Fore_yard_bands1.thumb.jpg.4d6c70b88ad0dee17218d10bafc2bd3d.jpg

take care all and keep up the good work everyone.

Keith

I’m trying to understand how the Mk 3 spacer works. Do you have another picture of it’s use? I’ve been fiddling with wires for spacers but I seem to have many bits of “precision “equipment” lying around I’d like to try out. 

hi seems o.k. to me, if you look on page 8 of the build you see it in operation, it is basically two pieces of wire glued into some scrap planking and bent in a staple shape the space you want the deadeyes set at. place one end on the deadeye on the hull and put the other eye on top set of prongs, then wrap you shroud around and tie off (first tying off shrouds in pairs around crosstrees). Hope that makes sense.

Keith