Chain plates & rubbing strip

Are chain plates supposed to go above or stop at the rubbing strake/strip? My kit shows them crossing below the rubbing strip which makes them not flat against the hull. Doesn't look right to me.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

If they pass below the rubbing strip, then they probably go under the rubbing strip. That is how it was done in many places here in the states. I learned that the hard way. :)

Russ

Scottish Maid, Great Britain, 1839

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

That was my thought. I would defeat the purpose of the rubbing strake which acts as "bumper". You wouldn't want any important rigging on the outside of this to get damaged. The rubbing strake for this ship is not very thick or wide- not much room for passing under it. I've got to figure out how I am going to do this..... Seems there are 3 options.....

(1) have the bars coming down from the channels to contact the deck right above the rubbing strake & stop there

(2) have it contact the deck a little higher up(making for shorter pieces) & have a very short flat piece that joins that lays flat on the hull & stopping at the strake,   or...

(3) same as #2 but have the flat piece pass under the rubbing strake so it can be longer 

or quit worrying over this so much & have them pass over & below the strake. I have seen pictures of it done this way on the web- it still doesn't make any sense to me

Edited by JesseLee

Thank you John! I searched the web for 2 weeks & couldn't find a picture at all.

Edited by JesseLee