Band Saw Question... or two

I'm thinking of a relatively cheap bandsaw in the less than $200 USA variety such as one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rockwell-2-5-Amp-9-in-Band-Saw-w-59-1-2-in-Blade-and-Work-Light-RK7453/202791039?MERCH=RV-_-RV_gm_pip_rr-1-_-NA-_-202791039-_-N

http://www.lowes.com/pd_22199-353-3386-01_4294607759__?productId=50084022&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

My purpose is to rip some planks, etc off of large stock.  I have 1" X 2" ebony and some 2" X 4" boxwood.  In other words, not enough to justify a  higher priced machine.  I have a mini-table saw (3" blade) that's limited to about 3/4" on most woods.  Not enough for this.  I also have a 10" table saw which I think just the kerf alone is overkill.  Plus that thing I think is too monstrous to cut pieces that are less than 1 foot long.

So.... will other of these work?  Should I go for a different blade?  Or just bag the idea and see if I can find someone locally (furniture shop?) to cut these pieces and hope they don't mess things up?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Get a new thin blade for your table saw, make a new insert and cut the blade slot with your new blade after you check for everything being square. Make some jigs and saw your wood. Takes a very good band saw to re cut limber with a close tolerance and those small cheap saws are not the tool to do so, even if the advertizing would lead you to believe it would do so well. I have one of those cheap tabletop band saws, boy was I disappointed, haven't used it for years and I have a bunch of new blades for it. I think that if I would machine new adjustable guide supports both top and bottom then use bearings instead of the blocks it came with to guide the blade the quality of the cuts would improve but it's way down on the list of things to do. Others may have had better luck, I hope more will tell their experience..

jud

Thanks.  I sort of suspected that it would be too light a machine.  I'll look into doing what Jud recommended on the table saw.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark, I agree with Mark Taylor and Jud - buying cheap machines is a waste of money and is asking for a large dose of frustration.  If you look for a decent machine in the second hand markets, such Ebay, Amazon, Craig's list, you might find a 14" Delta or similar in your price range.  It may need cleaning and some replacement parts such as guide blocks, new blades and such.  Be sure the motor and bearings are good, plus examine the rubber on the wheels. 

You might be surprised at the versatility of the these machines and how much more you can do with it.  I use my 14" Delta all the time.  If I had to select it over my Delta 10" table saw, I would likely select the band saw, even though I use the table saw more.  Each has its strengths and short falls. If I had to give up on one,  I would probably have to see a shrink.  LOL

The thin kerf saw blade on your table saw is a good option.  Another option is to take your wood to some one who has a band saw.

Good luck with your project~!

Duff

Below is a clipping from Lee Valley Tools

These extremely strong magnets can be used for many different clamping situations

Here they show it as a band saw blade support/guide

post-9868-0-07591600-1398955336_thumb.jpg

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Mark, +1 on what Duff says. You can pick up an older 14" USA made band saw for not much money. Check out the older Deltas, Walker Turners, Atlas, etc. I have a late '40s Delta 14" that I use to size stock. I don't know how I would do without it. There is a website called VintageMachinery.org  (owwm.com) that offers all kinds of support for folks who want to get an older machine and tune it up. They really are so much better than the new underpowered plastic/sheet metal things you can buy at the big box stores. With ebony or boxwood stock of the dimensions you mention, I'd resaw it on the band saw to thin enough pieces and then do the fine cutting of the planks on my small table saw.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Steve and Duff,

I've been considering that approach.  I just need to sort out where to put it and how often I'd use it.  I haven't had a need until now.  Meantime, I'm going to head to Lowe's and see about blades....  and there's a furniture maker on the way I'll stop and talk to.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, it is true that a large powerful saw will do everything you ask of it.  But I bought a Ryobi 9” band saw from Home Depot for around $100, three or four years ago and have not been disappointed.    Earlier someone mentioned the guide blacks and how rollers are better, the Ryobi has six rollers, three above and three below, so there is no wear or heat from blocks.   No, I cannot cut anything six inches thick but so far I have not needed to.  I have cut 3/4” Rosewood and 1/4” brass and I can’t think of anything harder I would need for a model.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Have you tried Harbor Freight. I didn't pay to much and there are two different types of blades. Not only does Harbor Freight carry band saws they also carry different power tools they have hand tools and different items. I do shop there and their not expensive either.

Edited by rafterrat_2005

Sears has a new line called "Steel City".  Their 10" model is $260 on sale and looks like a pretty solid machine.  Haven't tried one out but would be interested in hearing from someone with experience with these machines.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.