La Salamandre by tadheus - 1:24

Great work Tadheus!  Thank you very much for sharing.

At this scale, one can really start to get an impression of how the real vessel would look and feel.  Your craftsmanship, I think, replicates what the timbering and planking looks like on a real vessel.  At least it does according to all of the historic vessels I have ever been on.

Keep up the great work,

Best Regards,

Combined the two sheets of plans "La Salamandre".The base is the position of beams. Frames between the sheets are shifted by about 4 mm. There is a big difference in the construction of the bow of the reinforcing element. Everything I mentioned in the plan using colors.

20140912_135402.jpg

Then either the draftsman forgot to draw the openings on the deck plan or the deck planks are removable. That the planks are moveable is less likely, as the beams would be rebated to take the plank ends. I think that those two pairs of short lines in the deck plank between the beams show moveable square covers.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

That is an interesting question! Would the three planks have been put together with tongue-and-groove joints? If not, then your suggestion makes sense. It would make more sense if the battens ran next to the frame. Then the scuttle would run smoothly without twisting.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Jeronimo, thank you for your interest in the subject. :)

But I am not convinced, and the analysis of other plans will stay with type 1.

The plans la Salamandre shown so. Do not explain, however, how these boards were connected.

20140919_193025.jpg

I started assembly of beams.

20140919_123409.jpg

20140919_123341.jpg