Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 4 weeks later...

Log #7, June 29, 2014

I apologize for the long hiatus, but I got interrupted by a business trip, and an airbrush malaise.  After much frustration with air brushing I finally broke down and bought a good quality airbrush and compressor (Iwata).  Lesson learned.  If you’re going to buy tools, buy the best you can afford. Or save until you can buy the best.

After much frustration, drips, runs and assorted airbrush and painting disasters, the hull is within rails and a waterline of being complete.  I have attached photos showing the painting of the lower hull in dark copper.

post-11172-0-50053600-1404069449_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-73329000-1404069460_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-16074100-1404069474_thumb.jpg

Once I made peace with the little airbrush it was actually quite easy and comfortable. There is a learning curve so be prepared if you decide to use the tool/appliance.  I probable lost about 10 day in this self imposed "class" on hull painting.

I shot about six very light coats of copper, and once the last coat had cured for 24 hours I masked off and sprayed the upper hull black.

The next four pictures show the hull painting complete absent the waterline.  Somewhere on this forum I read of a modeler using 1/16" Chartpak tape for his waterline.  After applying the tape he then shot the hull with two coats of satin clear.  I plan on using this handy hint.  I have a roll of the Chartpak product and have purchased a roll of 1/16" matte finish flexible tape from Filmtool.  I will see which one works best and make the application.

post-11172-0-08762200-1404070880_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-15054100-1404070894_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-85694800-1404070906_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-91932600-1404070917_thumb.jpg

While waiting for paint to dry I began to construct the deck furniture.  Additionally, I prepared the main rail for installation.  I am somewhat apprehensive about  installing the rails. I would like to make the scarf joint cuts off the ship and then install, however, when installing the rails I will be required to maintain a 1/32" reveal around the entire ship.  The only way I can think of doing this is to install the bow piece and stern piece first and then cut and install the two main rails.  I assume this is the proper procedure, but an suggestions or comments how to best do this would be greatly appreciated.

post-11172-0-74014200-1404071699_thumb.jpg

Nice paint job Darrel,  You are correct.  A quality airbrush is usually the best way to go.  I own a Badger 360.  A bit of a learning curve but with practice you would be amazed at what you can do.  Since I will not be touching mine this year I will have to practice when I get back home.  I would fit the bow piece now and then work the rail into it.  This id easier to me than the other.  Smaller that can be easily relaced. etc.  Looking good.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Thanks guys.  After looking over Elia's Arethusa I'm humbled by your comments!  That's what I aspire to.  I have leagues to go.

Dave, your suggestion made the light go on. The little nose piece is easy to set, and from there just work it back to the stern piece.  The only two joints I would have to cut on the boat are the ones joining the stern piece with the main rail.  One question:  How does one hold the rails in place while the glue sets?  I'v seen rubber bands around the hull in various pictures, and I assume they were holding the rails.  With a 1/32" reveal on the outside line of the rail, getting the rail accurately secured ought to be loads of fun!

Darrel

Darrel,

Amazing beautiful build log! Following it with huge interest.

Thank you

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Darrel - I like what you are doing. I wish I could help on the rail. On my Bluenose I screwed up and did not have the reveal. it is flush. Also remember that for the quarter deck the rail is covered by the monkey rail. so any joint should be easy to conceal.

Just a note on your color choices. You probably know that she was not coppered. she was a wooden hull, and she was painted below the waterline with anti fouling paint. I have spent some lovely time with mask and safety glasses underneath a wooden fishing boat scraping and sanding. The most fun was the grinding with a power drill of the bronze rudder and prop. NOT! :angry:

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd,

You're absolutely correct.  I did depart from the norm with the copper paint.  I happened to notice on Franks Mastini's book, Ship Modeling Simplified, that the Bluenose on the cover was painted in copper below the W/L.  I liked it so I copied it.

You're also right about falling in love with north Atlantic fishing schooners.  I read, with great interest, Elia's log on the Arethusa, a "knockabout" schooner, and also a top flight scratch built effort.  It would be wonderful to have that sort of talent, but I think I'll stay in double "A" ball for a while and hone my skills.  I would, however, like to model the Blue Jacket's, 1/4 scale, Yacht America.  They claim it's an "advanced" model, I think because it's POF and an Admiralty model.  Anyway, the 19th and 20th century sail powered fish boats have great hull designs and I've take an interest in this genre.

I think Dave's suggestion, along with Geoff's comments about securing the rails, makes a lot of sense.  I gave it a dry run, setting the nose piece with the tiny reveal and using masking tape to secure the rails in the proper place.  I think I'll use carpenters glue instead of CA as that will give me time to fuss with the alignment.

Is the next meeting of the PSSM going to be on the third Saturday in July?  And will it be at your home?  I'll make sure I make this one.  Also, Per and I have exchanged contact info, and we'll try to get together.

Darrel

Darrel - Wonderful news. Yes the next meeting is the 3rd Saturday. I was out of town this past weekend and I need to publish the newsletter very soon. I am glad you connected with Dr. Per.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

• 3 weeks later...

Log #8,  July 21, 2014

The hull is finally complete save the Buffalo & Monkey rails!

In my last post I showed a photo of some of the deck furniture laid out in a tentative configuration between the two rails on a table.  The pieces I had made were constructed, as suggested in Bob Hunt’s practicum, with painted single sheet hatch covers and roofs.  Actually, they looked quite nice, but I wanted a little more authenticity and contrast, so I remade the structures with stained planked roofs & hatch covers.  

post-11172-0-16681100-1405987927_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-43829500-1405987941_thumb.jpg

post-11172-0-15656900-1405987954_thumb.jpg

Well done.  A fishing schooner should have a nice sleek look and you captured that look.  Nice and clean.

David B

I haven’t affixed these pieces to the deck yet.  However, after I complete the monkey and buffalo rails I’ll glue down these items along with the skylight, windless and miscellaneous hardware.   I’ll post again when all of the above is complete.

Cheers,

Darrel

P.S.  Motored over to Seattle this weekend and spent a delightful three or four hours with Floyd Kershner and a couple other members of the Puget Sound Ship Modelers club.

I wanted a little more authenticity and contrast, so I remade the structures with stained planked roofs & hatch covers.  

Nice decision, Darrel.  I think the extra work pays off in the final result.  You are about at the point where I was when I started to drop  away from Hunt's practicum and spending more time looking at the plans for details.  Keep up the nice clean work.

Bob

Edited by bhermann

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Hi Darrel, She is looking good , nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words and encouragement!  I can truly say.....without this forum and the encouraging words and advice from people who know what they're doing I might have put this thing down.  Knowing that the accomplished modelers here often rebuild an item several time before satisfied, has spurred me to remake parts (as many as five times) until it just "looks right".

One of the attributes I keep pushing on is to be neater, cleaner & crisper with each new sub-assembly.  This week, while in Seattle, Floyd Kershner showed me some various milled hardwoods he had purchased from a fellow in Ohio.  Man, were these "sticks" true and crisp!  It would be a delight to model in boxwood, and other hardwoods, to achieve this level of precision.  Meanwhile, I have a ways to go before I can put this one in a case!

Thanks again.

Darrel

Darrel - it was great having you join us for our meeting. I do hope we get to share with you again. Jeff of Hobbymill fame will keep you supplied with the best wood all the time. As I mentioned he is so popular he is often 3 to 4 months behind in orders. But he is very fast in shipping. And he always includes a little extra wood.

By the way you model is even better in person.

• The title was changed to Bluenose by DWright - Model Shipways - 1:64