Mayflower by SawdustDave - Finished

Finished the port side fitting of all channels and chain plate assembly's this morning. Nice to have all that wire bending behind me.

Now I'm excited about turning my efforts to making her tall.

I really enjoy every thing about this next phase except the clove hitches that come along with completing the shrouds.

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

There are so many builds on MSW that if I looked at them all I wouldn’t have time for my own build.  But I’m glad I found your Mayflower. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Don't mean to butter you up, Dave, but I don't spend a lot of time on line and when I do plug in, often the first place I go is your log.

With it's affable prose, defining pictures and such compelling input from others, it does sometimes feel like sitting around a table with beers.

It's helped me approach some tasks, which I considered laborious, with a skip in my step. Thanks for letting us in on such a fine build.

S

Just caught up with this log. Nice work so far! Look forward following along for the rest of the build.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I have to say, I'm a little surprised by your generous comments Shoule and JesseLee. Appreciative, but surprised, since I have a tough time thinking of my current work in those special terms.

But I do, for sure, thoroughly enjoy every minute I am able to spend in the shipyard these days.

And I enjoy all the great folks hanging out here on MSW.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Great work Dave and as others have said, it's a joy visiting.  Hey, it's not that far of a drive to your place from palm Cost, Florida.  Plenty of motels in your area?  We don't do tents anymore, a little more comfort for us.  ;)  And yes, I'll bring the O19 !

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm guessing, if ever there was a model worth driving a long distance to see, it would be the O19. First, we wouldn't dream of having such an event without you Mr. Piet Sir.

And....With you showing up I'm not sure if I actually have enough yard to hold all the tents. :)

Motels? Lumberton is right on I-95....main rout for North/South traffic. Every motel you can name at the four major exits.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave,

Give it some thought...  For feelers, make a post in the Nautical Discussion area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I would prefer someone with bigger guns take that shot Mark. I'm just a "swabbie" around here.

Fun discussion for sure Mark, but in reality, I just can't see it happening.

Offer still stands.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Here's the posting I just placed in the Nautical Discussion area as Mark suggested.....

"A number of fellow members began discussing what a nice idea it would be if there was an occasional event where we could come together and meet each other in person and share our work and enjoy the fellowship of artists with the same passion for this wonderful hobby.

Mark joined the discussion, thinks it might be something worth serious discussion among members in general, and suggested I should post it here and see what comes of it.

I have offered, along with friends from the Carolina Society of Maritime Modelers, to host such an event in Lumberton, NC, mainly because of our strategic location right on I-95 mid-way the North / South corridor, and being a community with very nice facilities to accommodate such an event regardless of the scale.

On the extreme side.... An event large enough to invite the public and turn it into a major fund raiser. In that case, we have close connections with members of The Wounded Warrior Project who would proudly get involved from a promotional standpoint.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome. "

Direct Link to the discussion..... http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8275-spring-msw-member-show-and-tell-meeting-discussion/#entry245597

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks Joe....I guess we shall just see what happens, huh? We really need for the discussion to be widly shared among our network of friends in order for it to ever take roots. Agree?

The discussion topic is......"Spring MSW Member Show-and-Tell Meeting - Discussion"

If interested, please invite all your friends to join this discussion so we can see if it develops.

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Great idea Joe.....now if everyone will be kind enough to PM that link to your friends it could spread very rapidly.

Again, someone should tell me if it appears I might be promoting this too aggressively. I'm the first to admit I'm natured that way. Sometimes, it has served me well, and sometimes I'm sure it may come on a little strong.

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Great idea Joe.....now if everyone will be kind enough to PM that link to your friends it could spread very rapidly.

Again, someone should tell me if it appears I might be promoting this too aggressively. I'm the first to admit I'm natured that way. Sometimes, it has served me well, and sometimes I'm sure it may come on a little strong.

Cheers

Hi Dave

From my perspective, you're not promoting it too strongly. It'd be a wonderful opportunity for those who are local to your area (err...country) to get together, share and make friends, admire models and most of all, promote and raise funds for a great cause, ie Wounded Warriors. If you don't try, nothing will happen, surely.

Good luck. I, for one, would love to, but it'd involve a 24 hour flight to get to you!!!

Good luck and I hope the event does succeed.

Back to work.....

Dry fitting the Foremast and top.... and a few pics of the top construction.

I have not stained the mast yet.

post-11777-0-77347300-1412714289_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-56777800-1412714389_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-29796300-1412714405.jpg

post-11777-0-85415300-1412714418_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Very nice work on the top Dave, looks superb!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

real sweet progress! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks guys....

Omega - I guess there's a little more to it than I could share with words. I'll try to take a few sequence shots while I'm building the top for the main mast over the next couple of days.

Sawdust Dave -

Dave,

I posted on a different thread a couple days ago about your Conference idea in NC, but I don't see it in that thread - and I can't PM you!...did you edit the thread? I offered that there is another Show/Conference being organized in the Mid-Atlantic...

Thanks for your reply on this mystery! And apologies that I had to post here rather than send a PM. You may want to check this out- it's likely your email box is full.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Ron, you may be right about my PM box being full. I don't think I have ever cleaned it before. There's still about the many features of this site I haven't learned. So I just cleaned it up and assume that will solve the issue.

Thanks for the heads up.

As for your question about your original posting....I don't recall editing it. If I did, it would have been inadvertantly, which sometimes happens when I start fumbling around with any new feature.

Sawdust Dave -

Good day in the shop.  Here are a few sequence shots of how I am building the tops with planked sides.

1st Pic....Split shot showing the block of pine wood as it is marked on both sides before being shaping into the form used to build the sides.  Note, the thickness of the block is exactly the height of the finished top.

post-11777-0-51016900-1412818098_thumb.jpg

2nd Pic.....After shaping the block and fitting the 16 vertical planks equally spaced around the form and beginning to fit the first row of planking.  Note the glue used to fit these vertical planks is diluted to facilitate removal later.  Also note, I have begun with the form placed upside down on a metal surface in order to keep the outer edges of the starting planks perfectly aligned.  Also note the alternating pattern of end cuts.

post-11777-0-86521100-1412818334_thumb.jpg

3rd Pic....The pattern of the planks is more evident showing the third row being fitted.  The joint gaps are desired as glue cavities for the outer vertical planks. 

post-11777-0-17604700-1412818946_thumb.jpg

4th Pic.... Split shot showing the removal of the block form with very course rasp bits.  

Note in the left shot, the outer "seam" at each of the 16 joints has been sanded flat to provide a good glue surface for the vertical planks.

Note in the right shot, the outer vertical planks have been fitted before final removal of the remaining pine form material.

post-11777-0-82849100-1412819085.jpg

5th pic.... There you are.  Ready for floor piece, knees, and top rail, to be fitted....not included herein.

post-11777-0-78084500-1412820749.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the photos. I wonder if you had waxed the mould first so that the vertical wood planks wouldn't not stick to the former, then you'd be able to lift the whole finished assembly off the round former without it sticking. That'd mean that you could reuse the wooden former again.

Nevertheless, your method works extremely well, as the results clearly indicates.

Just a thought.

All the best and happy modelling!

I am sure your suggestion of waxing the form would work Omega.

I am much more interested in not having the vertical planks move around during the fitting of the side planks. A lot of handling and measuring and pressing goes with the process. Moderate "sticking" is a good thing.

Aside from all that, there's not really much value in salvaging the form if one isn't planning to build another model having same tops....just another "boneyard thing" gathering dust. I've got "boneyard things" I have no clue what they were ever used for.

Why do we keep all that crap?

Sawdust Dave -