Mayflower by SawdustDave - Finished

Well done Dave!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thank you one and all for all the nice comments and words of encouragement throughout this build.  Like I said to Chuck, I think his Mayflower was a perfect choice for me to shake off the rust after taking two years away from modeling.  It was a lot of fun, and allowed me to re-sharpen some of the feel for the art that had definitely dulled with the layoff.  His advise to me...... "SLOW DOWN".

My reply to him.... "I'm too old to slow down.  If I slow down, I might run out of time." har de har

We will soon find out as I step it up a notch to take a whack at the Royal Sovereign.... or.... "Sovereign of the Seas".... whichever of her names you prefer.

See you over there once I get my hands on the plan sheets.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

They are a beautiful pair, Dave.  Sovereign should be one heck of a build.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautiful work my friend.  I can't wait to see them in real life and the Sovereign plans.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Great looking "Duo"  Dave.... good luck on your next build!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Piet .... (Just learned - pronounced "Pete" for all of us native born rednecks).... I'm hoping I will have some sticks glued together by the time you come cruzin up here for the weekend.

Plans are due early next week.... Warming up the old band saw.

Did you get The passenger seat to fold back far enough for that tube boat to fit inside?

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Well done Dave. I believe that you could do the Sovereign of the Seas justice easily. I would not have the nerve.

David B

Splice the main brace Dave for two ships very well done.   I'll be looking forward to the Sovereign.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

congrats on the finish of these two fine builds Dave........I'll look forward to your next one

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sovereign of The Seas....

Man!  Do I feel really stupid this morning. 

Please do not laugh when I admit, I have just last night discovered there are several very excellent build logs posted for the Sovereign of The Seas!

I have to remind you, I am just an old woodworker who took up modeling several years ago and fell deeply for the art.  Never had much interest, nor claimed to be much of a historian on the subject of navel war ships.  Simply enjoy the challenge of creating them the best I can. 

So all my searching for build logs on name I was given for the plan sheets.... "The Royal Sovereign" had me going in circles of panic.

My dilemma was, as a scratch builder.... How in heck am I going to be able to interpret the plans of such a complex model from nothing but plan sheets, with no instructions, if I cannot find a good visual reference.

I'm sure some of you must have thought I was a little nuts (and you are so right about that).

Having said all that, after spending hours last night, plowing through the beautiful work of several very impressive builders, most notably the logs of Bill Short and Nigel Brook, I am even more excited about the challenge.  If I can come anywhere even close to the quality of their work, I will be very happy. 

This looks like it might be a two or three year project, with all the ornamentation.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Hi David

That 'senior's moment' is perfectly excusable! As long as you continue to build with the same skill and creativity as you have with your Mayflowers and other ships, the journey and the end result will be brilliant.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Congratulations on the completion Dave they look really fine next to each other, your next build will be fun to follow as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Congrats on finishing the two Mayflowers. Marvelous work!

And good luck to you for building the Soverein ! What a ship, and what a lot of work!

Regards Hartmut

Edited by Angarfather

on the : Staatenjacht Utrech

At last finished:

Gianna a Pinco Genovese

HMS Agamemnon

• 7 years later...