Mayflower by SawdustDave - Finished

Obviously morning is clever than evening. Good work

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Very innovative ---- and a great result!  Well done, mate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Yep, that's one way of skinning a cat Dave, works great, lasts a long time. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

with the supply of blister pacs today......there's a never ending supply of clear cello. I keep some of the weird shapes around, just in case there's a call for a curved window. I like how you etched it.....a really cool effect :)

that's an awful lot of tree nailing. it does give her some sweet looking detail......she's coming along very nice....stern looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nenad - early cup of java stimulates the gray matter. Works for me.

Thanks Joe/Augie/Piet

Popeye - Plenty of cello around the shop as well, but none were thick enough to accept the deep cuts I needed for this illusion.

Lot of tree nailing....as I look around at some of the really fine projects, I'm not sure I shouldn't do many more. Afraid my pattern doesn't lend to adding more at this point. The pattern on Remco's Kingfisher is a perfect example of how I would go, if I were to do it over again....not gonna happen.

Thanks all

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Nicely done on the windows and I like your fill in the slot method for the wires.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Real happy to finally be making a little bit of sawdust again.

Knocked out these two little water pumps this morning, along with a couple of knights.

post-11777-0-94889700-1409244716.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Dave , Nice looking water pumps , beautifully done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Pete / Frank....

Frank, I guess I should have taken a few pics of my step-by-step....didn't occur to me at the time because they came together pretty quickly ....I must have built a dozen of these little pumps over the years.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

I can see sailors pumping on panic ...

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Very nice looking bilge pumps Dave - - - hmmmmm - - - I need two for my VOC ship  ;)   Fortunately the O19 sub has electric ones  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet....knowing you, they are probably functional too.

Frank....after a little thought to your request for some details, maybe this will help some.

The height of the pump's cylinder's are 5/8". So I began by planking a 2" long dowel with very thin strips of (you guessed it) bamboo.

After planking, I applied the bands (black vinyl) at proper intervals and used brass wire to emulate the nails (needle sharp tips).

After filing the brass nails slightly above flush with the bands, I then used a razor saw to cut the assembly to their measured lengths....giving me the two pump bodies.

Of course, the pump riser brackets and handles are sub-assemblies....pretty much straight forward as seen.

Hope this helps a little.

Sawdust Dave -

nice details, I use overhead sheets for windows. Just print the pattern you like on it, you can even stain the 'glass' with a bit of color. The printed layer of ink even lies slightly onto of the foil...

Michiel

Finished models: Botter, President

Current:

Prins Willem by the book of Ketting,

HMS Beagle - OcCre

restauration of a Statenjacht

Looking your work, a question arise: Is there something you did not know or not able to make ? I do not think so

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Dave the pumps look great!  That is what I am trying to build now,  started last night and stopped somewhere around attempt 15 trying to get them to look right,  will continue this evening with your pics as inspiration!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks guys....great to have such nice friends. MSW is my favorite "hang-out" place because of the excellent folks you find hanging out around here. If Chuck could figure a way to provide cold beer and country western music it would be PERFECT.

Adam, I'm sorry I didn't make a few step pics of the pumps. One secret to the pumps is using very thin planking on the cylinder. Bevel the edges of each plank to get really tight fits.

Looking forward to seeing your final.

Sawdust Dave -

I guess I was having so much fun the last several days, I neglected my posting chores. This progress report will show quite a few changes.

post-11777-0-12985500-1409958284.jpg

So I will begin with this shot of her starboard bow.... note the painted strips below her forecastle railing. Also, the gun port lids have all been rigged with rings and lift cables. Also, all stanchions and rails have been installed.

You can see in this next pic, I still have a lot of treenailing to do to her beakhead deck and outer bulkhead planking.

post-11777-0-31202700-1409958698_thumb.jpg

The two water pumps are not yet attached at this point as I do not intend to glue them in place until after all rigging in that area is completed. Meanwhile, they live in their secure box until I choose to install them.

post-11777-0-54036000-1409958958_thumb.jpg

This view shows the addition of pin rails, kevels, knightheads, and interior deck railing.

Note, the ships bell, same as with my smaller Mayflower, was created from a solid brass phillips-head wood screw (allbeit a somewhat larger screw).

post-11777-0-53314000-1409959112_thumb.jpg

I guess this is just a slightly different starboard side view.

And now I shall return to some serious treenailing so I can then finish building out the beakhead assembly which I really do look forward to. Reminds me, I still have to drill out the hole for her bowsprit.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Wonderful work, Dave.   I never considered using a wood screw for the bell...  now you've got me thinking and that's usually dangerous.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And I would like to see, if possible, a closer or larger image of that "screw bell"?  Interesting idea.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Thanks for the visit mates.

The screw bell.... if you go to page two of this log, you can see a closer view of the one I created for my smaller scale build (still in progress).

Pretty streight forward shaping by using two Dremel tools....one to slowly spin the wood screw while shaping it with the other using fine grinder and a diamond wheel.  After shaping, I drilled a small hole in the top and inserted a steel wire used to mount it.

Not all that difficult.....it's just brass instead of wood.

Sawdust Dave -

Looking really nice Dave and a wise decision on leaving the pumps till later, they'll just get in the way when rigging.  Very inventive on using a brass wood screw for making your bell.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Omega / Joe....gratings....I'm going to need some more gratings for the Beakhead coming up. Will take a few pics as I build those. Not as tough as you might think.

Straightened up the work bench, vacuumed a little, fed that stupid bird, put on coffee for 6:00 am delayed brew....Lights out

Sawdust Dave -

You're thinking outside of the box Dave......... very, very nice!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)