Id use the Oil afterwards - it should have no affect on the painted surfaces if they are completely dry (meaning wait a few days of the paint fully drying out before applying the oil).  The wood will soak it up like a sponge - the painted surfaces shouldn't as the paint will act as a barrier for absorption.  Hope this helps.

Chris

Tung oil is generally used as a clear finish. It penetrates and builds slowly. Polymerized tung oil (eg Watco) will actually increase the wood's hardness. It is not typically used under paints or painted over. Safety note: the rags used to apply it can self combust as they will generate heat as they harden (tung oil does not dry through evaporation it hardens). I usually hang the rags outside until they are stiff (hardened) and then dispose of them. If painting, I would seal/prime/top coat. Hope this helps.

Not just oily rags will self combust, damp anything and compressed or in a space where the water can't evaporate will do it also. Grandad lost a barn when he got a pocket of damp hay in the loft. That barn had buckboards and other wheeled small carts and wagons and lots of harness and saddles. There was enough harness to equip and use 20 horse teams, he used mules to farm with. Spontaneous combustion was something I was told about, at a very young age.

jud

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Brain C   Tung oil and most paint don’t mix well, however it sometimes depends on the type of wood, environment, brand of paint or oil.   But I see it as paint is for paint and oil or stain  is well oil or stain  I try to stay away from paint going more for a stain and natural wood look. Of course this is just my spin on what works for me on my Rattlesnake by MOG  At the end of the day it’s your build . your desired effect.,

As with any finishing it’s all trial and error on scrap wood to get the effect you like.

Current Build:   Not a ship 

Completed Builds:   Mississippi River Boat OcCre 1:80

Bluenose, Model Shipways 1:48

Rattlesnake, Model Shipways 1:64

Dumas # 1233  PT Boat,  Wood, 1:30 

1914-1918 US Army Mule drawn Ambulance 1:16