HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

A little more work this week, Stem fitted also sternpost followed by the false keel. Transom stern also fitted, quarter gallery also started but I have changed the blue card which has window frames drawn on with a black pen, I'm going black with wooden frames installed.

post-11858-0-64252000-1402755453_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-88394400-1402755492_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-58591400-1402755569_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-67586600-1402755597_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-37604500-1402756201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Gorgeous work...  really no experience prior?   Gives me hope, ha.  

I am at a loss on this subject, up until This Monday I was painting it but told the wife I was staying natural just last nights, honestly.. I was initially sticking to painted but that said I could have just thrown it together and wood fillered the problems up and painted over them. I don't know what to do at the moment painting hides a lot of effort. I haven't investigated the colour direction yet I.e what paint to use. Any ones input on this would be much appreciated, for example if you saw it completed in wood, would your initial reaction be it should be painted.

To me, there are certain ship models that should be painted their historic colors, two of which are the Constitution and the other being the Victory. Yes, they would look beautiful in natural wood finish, but to me they would just seem unfinished or harder to recognize unpainted. I built a Constructo HMS Bounty several years ago, it was my first ship model that I built. The wood was so beautiful that I decided (and also my wife mentioned how beautiful it look natural) to leave it natural wood look just like the picture on the box. Well, everyone who see's the Bounty model today ask why didn't I paint it like the replica Bounty or the Mutiny on the Bounty movie version. Most of them have to ask, which ship it is. Had I painted it, most people would have recognized it. But it's up to the builder how he see's the finished product. Also just because a model is to be painted doesn't mean you cut corners, the better the foundation, the better the paint job whether it be a house, car or model.

Do I regret not painting the Bounty, yes, to this day, if I built it all over again, I would paint it. But that is just my opinion and regrets, not saying you will feel the same down the road.     

HI Paul, Just Came Across your Log, Very Nice work So far, I do Like Contrcuto Kits (only built one) LOL.. 

But Good Luck with the rest of build.

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Mtdormike, I know exactly what your saying and deep down I started this kit to be as intended like the Portsmouth example and totally agree the ship will probably loose its identity if left natural, I say the Portsmouth example, she will carry her sails. Richf, hi, I have seen your name on other topics welcome to newbie site

Planning for the canon cuts has been an eye opener, someone on here once said he had a few on another contructo kit but different ship, that hit the ribs. My reply was that manufactures go to great lengths to ensure the kits are corectly lined up and this should not really happen,,,, whoops sorry I hold my hands up, they don't, or at least on this model they didnt. I have used a vernier guage and measured every canon port on the plans (twice) transfering to my hull and mine strike 8 ribs,, the first one you can see I have cut also hit a rib, yes the very first one. Please if your building this kit check before hand because the lower canons although inconvenient is not a real problem, just shave the ribs away but what would be a huge problem is the canons on the top deck which can not afford to hit the ribs, these can be seen from behind and would ruin the model. see picture, look at the rib in the distance behind the hatch, if you followed the plan you would strike this and worse its neighbouring rib also.

Whist im ranting let me take the time to whine about the figurehead casting. I was happy with mine at first I then researched the colour scheme and came accross the Caldercraft version ( ok expensive kit ) but the figurehead is beautifully made / cast. these are available to purchase and think is a no brainer.

Oh rant over. The picture of the hull has the top row of hatches ommited, honestly I forgot to place them on prior to the picture but you may be able to pick out the marked positions.

next post should be all cut holes, I am skipping and returning to previous jobs just to take the repetitiveness out of the work.

thanks for looking.

post-11858-0-66312700-1404559039_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-94734800-1404559067_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-36386300-1404559122_thumb.jpg

The more I watch this build log, the more I wish I had went with the Constructo Vic version rather than the AL version. I have built numerous model ships and I have yet to find one that requires shimming of half or better of the bulkheads while planking in order to get a true run and to fair them. For the price of the AL kit, I would have expected better. AL is one of my favorite model manufactures or at least they used to be back many moons ago. But now I'm wondering.

Cheers for the compliments, Mike the more I progress the more I wish I had gone the Caldercraft route. I selected the Contructo due to price and didnt want to shell out the Caldercraft sort of money and the fact I had no idea if I could even build a ship. In comparison with the mentioned kit the contructo has far inferior castings but hey you get what you pay for.

A few more pictures of the canon being cut post-11858-0-26464400-1404843939_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-83225800-1404843480_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-59116100-1404844186_thumb.jpg

Yes, Constructo does use castings that are less desirable than some other kits, AL kits are the same with this issue. But one good thing is, we can always substitute inferrior castings with really nice ones with the money we saved on the kits. One major issue I have with Caldercraft that I just couldn't get over was the use of so much preformed sections from stern to gunwhales. To me these sections look better built up. Also, Constructo uses better woods than most other kits and Victory not excluded. There are very few Victory kits that I would consider not painting and Constructo's version is one of the few. But then again, the wood is one thing, but talent to build it and make it fit enough for a natural finish without gaps and wood filler is another issue. You my friend are a natural at this and I see many more models in your future.   

I'm building a Constructo USS Constitution for the very same reason....the natural wood and to make me improve my woodworking skills and not rely on wood filler.

Nice build :-)

Cheers, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Oh Mike, Mike, Mike your killing me. I pondered for a while on the to paint or not to paint issue and I chose to paint, that said ive not painted any yet but now you have thrown a curved ball into the mix again and now im podering. I do like the wood effect as its very classy and can sit in any room and look ok, in a glass case of course. HEY ! whats a Spitfire doing on a model ship site, well thats my other hobby, she houses a 0.91 4 stroke engine and has split flaps with glass fibre covering and full rivit detail curtesey of dots of clear wood glue prior to topcoat, also panel lines and battle scars. She also has retractable under carriage controlled by air and valves for slow scale rise and fall. I built her in 2002 and she has flown twice, yep I know twice but she was a dream to fly and still lives with me today.

Sorry I went off on planes, just ive not done that for quite a while and got carried away. You do planes and as i'm a brit it had to be our girl, I am sure you would have gone for a P51 Mustang.

post-11858-0-86850800-1405353294_thumb.jpg