HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

I am actually enjoying this rigging stuff now but realise the spars have to be installed before any of the rigging fitted can be fastened down and become live, as you know a lot of spar fastenings are tied off inbound and all the above will get in the way. I now have to consider the sails and learning to furl the lower ones.The ship is becoming a ship now as the rigging already positioned gives it so much character. 

I have had to get the rat lines out of the way to see where I’m at and this was the only way I could think of getting rid of them l, for now

52EBDB07-C722-4370-9203-CB94FBAFD285.jpeg

399EAAE8-4C5A-4D19-9E28-29034ED52C96.jpeg

Probably a good idea to mount your sails (furled and otherwise) to the spars before you fix them in place. If you are looking for ideas for your sails, check out some of JerseyCityFrankie's work.

(By the way, your first picture above makes your ship appear to be some kinda Dystopian bird trying to take flight)

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Aaaaah I know it’s difficult so see on the picture but I have only rigged the upper mast section and 3/4 the way up with the same line as the lower,,, ahhh and it’s way two thick, there are a few other lines that are being replaced with the correct size too. the only saving grace is there not notted or glued yet so it’s quite easy to sort. Steve I will be visiting the site you have pointed me too regards the sails, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I,m still here and my ship has officially passed its fourth year build time, hey no rush as they say. I have come to a stand still for a while whilst I tackle the sails and I have come to the assumption that the kit ones are to be abandoned as there just two thick and hang all wrong, even furled they look clumsy. As my canons are run out I have to enter the world of furled sails, not sure if to furl them all, Easiest solution, or furl just the lower sails to that would be to avoid canon ball damage from battle. The sail in the picture is actually a test and is mounted on a spare rod and held in position for effect. I have not stitched it at the moment but that is another thing I have to learn, sewing machine although I do not have an over locking one. Its pure white Poplin I have used and literally just lightly sprayed it with coffee to give it the dirty worn appearance. 

DSC_0524.thumb.JPG.8a1e8ff018f6a47e3b0361e262713918.JPG

• 1 month later...

I am still on the sails saga and will be for quite some time, sewing, trimming, edging, fitting bolt ropes and basically learning the skills of a taylor, well trying that is. I have tried many methods of getting them to hold that wind swept look. I have opted to soak the sail in PVA water mix, at first I moulded the sail into a close to finished shape an let it dry and air brushed coffee on to make it aged.  it was very effective but as I fitted it to the spar and added the tell tails it was almost flat again. Plan B is now to airbrush water on the sail in situ and heat with a heat gun and hopefully they will form  naturally and hold position due to adhesive ingrained. At the moment the sail is just bent by Hand to get the look. Despite the ships made, many opt out of sails, mmm I wonder why ? 

4E3E67A8-2E45-4B37-923D-07F2ACCBA81F.jpeg

A2643BDA-D30B-4BA7-B849-1F8E354EAE2B.jpeg

3C6E4BB4-D207-4E9D-B6FF-06D9F721A9ED.jpeg

259B38CB-A025-4452-98B3-7CF31E8A7FD7.jpeg

The workmanship is Amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 4 weeks later...

Sails going at a snails pace, cut, stitched, fitted to the spars and test fitted before adding tell tails and staining to look used, worn and marked. Well thats what I’m trying to do but one will see if I made the right choice to  bear sails. 

127ECBFE-13DA-4FB6-9468-3788FDC8F267.jpeg

CF0544AC-DF84-4A5E-9FEE-DC8E9502A8B7.jpeg

DE235005-92E4-4472-994D-34E5D49A0A57.jpeg

D432E327-3596-42A7-94CE-0B3417C636A3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Put a few more sails in position, not fitted / coloured or tell tails installed but just put in position with clips to keep them organised. There loaded with dried PVA glue in the cloth, which I will airbrush with water for the final shape. Then I will add the staining, worn look. 1F0107FA-F53A-4E73-A3BA-99D8EAD0ECCC.thumb.jpeg.47b807ec14dff4edd503773c58af0d81.jpeg 

E1A1EB4E-38CA-4F73-A798-C057EE730A9A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have now completed the cutting and stitching of the sails, well What the kit says the Victory was wearing. This falls quite short of what was fully worn by the ship, and I am making the missing ones at the moment minus the out riggers used for sailing at full speed. If there supplying sails with the kit, why fall short, yeh sails hide the work but the extra ones would no more than supplied ones. This all said even the plans to make sails, fall short. People will say it’s the kits budget price but why not forget sails completely like most kits do rather than offer them and fall short. 

A64D16B8-50F4-404D-AACA-27B67A273EE5.jpeg

A086A7A2-6EF2-42EF-ADED-8E7E2A8E5815.jpeg

874DD7EE-1FF3-4384-8123-4E0CB5FA6610.jpeg

329A8978-7182-4DE0-8568-3208C4C82535.jpeg

E76AE58B-6723-41D1-BAAC-DC73B3A911C6.jpeg

I am still pushing sails out of the sewing machine but also found, due to going down the sails route this indicates she is depicting a vessel at sea. That said I am adding bed rolls to the decks as they would have been. If any one has any pictures of where these rolls were placed or wether they lay them down the in the frames that were quite small in hight, pics would be great. These rolls will also be weathered 

40DEB237-232F-4A3D-BC4D-253F07094F73.jpeg

Great work!!! super nice model. Your sails look great.  I sewed several sails for my Cutty Sark (some were sown by me, some by a vendor with a CNC sewing machine based on kit supplied measurements) so I know what you're going through.  very nice work. 

The hammocks (bed rolls) are stowed vertically in the crane and nets as you show in your photo.  The will line all of the cranes and nets.  sometimes open for airing out as you have them, other times with canvas covering the entire cranes to protect from rain.

best

marc

• 1 month later...

I have  been tackling the rat lines on the upper mast as there are not really obstructive to my future progress, I have gone cream, I know they were tarred black back in the 18 century to prevent rotting  but I prefer the look as she sits in dry dock today, I prefer the contrast of colour. There is also the option of painting the lines to give a tarred look but I will see how I feel later in the build. I am still here after my 4th year but I’m  in no rush to see the end, that said sails have taken so long to learn to make and be happy with not to mention I have to research the installing / lines. 

8CE765F5-C8E1-4F26-8429-C2CC6B140489.jpeg

ED0B97AA-AB57-4FC4-B302-EF5D36422439.jpeg

Edited by Paul0367

lovely work Paul, sail look great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Grrrrrrr I have entered into one of my Rip out and start again stages, Ratlines, I was happily installing my lines but I had nagging doubt they were two heavy and as I procedded the nagging got worse. Well I am back tracking and due to tacking with PVA it’s a pain. Images of the real Vic indicates these horizontal ropes were quite thin in comparison with the vertical drops from the masts, paintings or drawing enforce this thick approach but have them too thick. One step forward and many back approach strikes again. 

EB0A58E7-243D-459C-9D07-698560AE94AC.jpeg

09F7AEFE-1D91-416C-86FE-805F8A1D19F5.jpeg

6BFF9E66-8922-471E-81CC-E474CDB67C34.jpeg

D24A88BB-A277-4925-A2B4-80466CC95B77.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rigging slowly moving forward, trying to plan ahead to ensure I have access to the lower mast for tying off lines and blocks, putting spars on now and trying to replicate the real fixing which is tricky at this scale but the kit has very simplified fittings and far from how they would be fitted. Sails are pre fitted to the spars as this would be impossible trying to do in situe. Oh If any one is building this kit, fit the deck netting on as late as you can, you will catch them several times. 

B51F7EB6-11E7-4C77-AAA6-AF0BED97F736.jpeg

4098D479-3BE6-4670-B96B-1CF2E1792342.jpeg

DE3558A5-92E0-4D6E-9852-8A83768752C4.jpeg

Edited by Paul0367

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The only reference material I have is downloaded C Mamoli HMS Victory kit rigging instructions and the book HMS Victory her construction and career by Alan Mcgowan. there is quite a lot of info in them.... The Caldercraft version gives the builder far more information than the cheaper kits but its a case of you get what you pay for but as a first timer in this hobby it was a big ask to spend that money for a model that I may not even be able to build.

Check you email, sent you a link 

• 4 weeks later...

I Hey Paul, hope is all well, have been away for a while due to serious illness, lost feeling in left arm so modelling and most other things went out the window for the past two years, getting feeling back now and am looking forward to replicating your Constructo journey - may I say, I am in awe of your efforts, especially when it's your first.  I came across a website with some interesting details regarding the Vic, some I have never seen before:. https://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/detail.asp?ship_id=HMS-Victory#specs

hopefully you should see some of my build posts coming through in a couple of weeks - raring to go

Paul:

Your model is looking very good. The rigging is always a challenge given how close everything is and its inherent complexity. You are doing well. 

Russ

My hat is of to you Paul , your attention to detail is superb , I can offer no advice on rigging as i chickened out on most of it on my Vic . Only suggestion i have is the book  Longridge ..The Anatomy of NELSON,S SHIPS . Maybe u have it already but it does give a lot of detail if u want to be accurate .. Keep at and good luck 

Boyd 

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've been in the Vic build room, what with work commitments, time and basically being in the mood to build, we've all been there. This is a problem because trying to pick up where I left off is a nightmare and also spotting errors made in the rigging routes and having to change them.  Making/adding sails has added to the build time but I always wanted sails and expected the extra work, (Not a race)  also the rigging of a sail filled ship is difficult getting good info on, as to where goes where and to what. I have also the issue of leaving all the standing rigging and lower ratlines off to enable me to gain access to lower mast centre anchor points. This in turn puts a load on the unsupported sail loaded masts. It's certainly uncharted territory for me as a hobby but we all started somewhere. As you can see the sails are not clean, I personally prefer them to look weathered and not bright. I furled the lower main sails due to the cannons being rolled out but will be dropping the rest. So far the sails are going on and anchored and then I will be adding all the rigging that enables the raising and lowering and other fixings. All the lines, well all that needed to be are numbered to enable me to put them where I have found they live on the decks etc. Thanks for all you comments and help, it's really appreciated. 

IMG_20190203_115415.jpg

IMG_20190203_115403.jpg

IMG_20190203_115442.jpg

Good to see you decided to put sails on her! I know it’s a minority opinion, but I think a sailing ship model is missing a lot when there’s no sails on her. Yours look great and I know how much additional work is involved in making and bending on the sails. 

Niagara USS Constitution 

I'm not sure where the little cubes on the sails have come from, may be sewing machine tension or the watered down glue to keep the shape, could have dried that way but I suppose I will have to live with it. As a guess I think many don't do sails because a lot of work done is relatively hidden with them. That said you don't build a model car and leave the wheels off because it hides the suspension and discs or likewise the bonnet (hood). Sails seamed to be a minority thing but again, so are gherkins but doesn't stop a well known burger outlet slapping them on every burger leaving us to pick them off. 

Edited by Paul0367

Paul. I agree with JCF on the whole issue of having sails on a model of a sailing ship. However, there is also the other camp who do not like to hide all of the intricate detailing they have done. I can understand their argument. I think that you have found the middle path in having your lower sails furled. Your Vic will be able to show-off her deck AND it's got sails !!

If the "cubes" on the sails are from the sewing machine tension, then mayhaps you could very VERY gently stretch each sail with your fingertips (just the sail; don't pull down on the spar).

If they are caused by the glue, then maybe "paint" the sails with water and angle your model in front of a light fan (so the breeze reaches all sails).

You might have to repeat this step a few times.

PS: Luv the staining on your sails.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy