HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

Well I thought I would make the side reinforces, well how long could it possibly take. Most of the day is my answer, 1 st one was spot on but wrong timber, Manzonia instead of Sapley as for the rest just a time eater. Then there is the glueing, seriously why did the instructions not have these fitted when the Wales were fitted, this would save us knocking off the delicate handrail post as we lie her in the side to work on. Trust me guys do these before and rails go on.

post-11858-0-15146000-1417126507_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-24248000-1417126538_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-07656200-1417126563_thumb.jpg

My word you have really been working hard, I am still working on the bulwarks on the top deck, I traced the plan to get the angles at the back. I also traced the gun ports and placed it on the the main plan and I noticed like you said some over lap the bulwarks I thought I would be clever and lay the tracing on the boat but they do not match up on the white planks.Still got some sanding left to do on the hull.

Been off work this week so been cracking on, loads of hours but not a great deal to show, especially to one whom doesn't build. Fairleads take some making and then there is two. OK gun ports, plans do not position them correctly with the bulwarks, well mine didn't, the ports which you see on the middle deck from the rear are vital and you have to ensure you miss the ribs. You will hit the ribs on the lower decks I'm sure, I hit many which is a pain as they have to be cut out to access the board behind for the canons to sit. This is not a problem as you would never know when the cuts been done. I used a vernier and transferred the plan on to the model ( I put a pencil dot in the centre of each cut ) and slightly adjusted the top Bulwark ones that were going to hit the ribs, its a slight adjustment and doesn't show up later. Some trace the plans and transfer them over. Just check and double check before you cut, and ensure both sides match each other. I can send you pics and my measurements on the bulwarks if this would help.

Ah yes ... I have many (not so) fond memories of hacking into my own Constructo hull to place the gun-ports.

Yours have turned out spectacularly.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I have moved on to the rudder another part of the ship that really should have been done after the captains quarter s certainly before any Dec rails went on. This enables you to flip her over without risking the knocking off of the rails. Personally if your building this kit fit it around section 53, just leave of the chain until the rudders due instal time

post-11858-0-92784200-1418233067_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-39019300-1418233134_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-27900300-1418233175_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a long build break I'm back, since my break I have received a book on the anatomy of the HMS Victory and this prompted me to tear off the brackets which are supplied by constructo to support the mainmast channels. Originally they appear to be iron on the real vessel but I opted to stay with the wood route as before but a little more realistic. I also jumped a few stages to start to make the platforms for each mast, these I will just keep revisiting as the build progresses, sort of gap fillers.

post-11858-0-62882200-1419792211_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-23725400-1419792234_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave

I did look on to see if you had posted any updates but assumed you had closed shop for the festive period. I'm still pondering the brackets for the stays I fitted, should I go thinner as the real ones are iron and quite thin, I'm also going to copper the hull before I instal to many fittings which may be knocked off in the process. Look at Mtdoramike s build and his hull is stunning.

Well, spent the day making the brackets thinner, this was done in situe and took well, a while. The kits supplied brackets if used really need putting on a diet also, mine were the same thickness initially as the ones provided in the kit and I felt they Looked far to chunky.

post-11858-0-09678200-1419871496_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-58782700-1419871550_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-67144500-1419871590_thumb.jpg

Whilst I've been waiting for my copper and tools for the install on the hull, I've moved away from the hull and on to the masts. These took me 13.5 hours, yes so long. There is so much measuring and cutting, measuring and cutting checking are glueing involved and not only once, as most are aware there's three of the things.

post-11858-0-01275600-1420059952_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-28002300-1420060005_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-73224500-1420060077_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-12845300-1420060130_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Still working on the mast platforms which has highlighted a shortage of wood, which has put me back on the bowsprit making the reinforcement bands and then I will be slowly applying the many fittings that it wears. also the main three lower masts are cut ready to enter the carving stage.

post-11858-0-37054400-1420198461_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-96981300-1420198472_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-68121300-1420198515_thumb.jpg

I have had a one step forward and two back / 10 back today

I have moved my attention to the Bowsprit, whilst waiting for other bits to arrive. I made / attached fittings with the vauge instructions and also vauge plan. Plan only show 6 of the rope guide blocks no 296, I suspected 9, which I looked at other images on the net and found there to be 9 on other builders models, ok so I fitted 9 rectangle blocks, job done.

NO NO, I have a book you see THE ANATOMY OF A SHIP THE HMS VICTORY which I ( in error) forgot to look at prior to all my work. Yep I have to start again, there is actually 15 blocks and there also shaped and positioned differently to the kits position.

Also the kits Bowsprit fairleads no 300 are fitted at a 90 degree angle to the bowsprit which is another thing I found incorrect after fitting, these Fairleads are angled up 45 degrees which requires a reshape also a reshape of the blocks below no 301. Why get these wrong Constructo, surely not to make it easier as its not difficult to recreate the parts correct way.

I hope the images show this, I still need to fit my 3 remaining top blocks. and also a couple of brass reinforcement bands not to mention fittings to complete.

post-11858-0-20637400-1420223850_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-49823500-1420223923_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-66470400-1420223964_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-97149600-1420224039_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-96593200-1420224071_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-51380300-1420224127_thumb.jpg

I am only doing the bow and mast assm whilst I'm waiting for the copper for the hull, I've had to stop adding deck fittings to enable her to be flipped without the risk of damaging anything. I will add the bow assm as late as possible, the ship would be huge with it added and vulnerable to damage. Advise is much appreciated as is the offer of the additional Jotika Victory plans.

Edited by Paul0367

WOW, absolutely stunning work. I know you aren't really keen on The Constructo version of this ship, but you are surely making a silk purse out of a souse ear for sure. I always look at a ship model kit as a starting point and then go from there, realizing that there will need to be changes, modifications and corrections if historical accuracy is what you are after and not just a display piece. You are doing excellent work and the more I see you build taking shape, the more impressed I am.

Mike  

Thank you Mike, I shouldn't be so hard on the Consructo version really, little changes like you said make it a lot better but there small things really and If I was Constructo I would aim to modify it and update it. Even instruction changing the time items are fitted, why put delicate deck rails on and fittings then ask modellers to flip it over and start nailing in a rudder bracket.

Mike, your painted version is beautiful and if I ever build the Caldercraft one its painted next time. Oh and shipyard Sid is sending me the instructions for one as there more comprehensive.

Ok look,

What at,

I'm glad you asked,

My black yarn,

Black you cry,

My thought exactly.

This is Italian black,

In every other country I think it's normally regarded as a colour known as green, what am I to do with them. Really how difficult is it to put the right colour in the box Contructo. Turn on the lights guys. This is another order and wait for the correct ones to arrive moment at more expense, these models take years to build and I'm learning why this is.

post-11858-0-87954000-1420730612_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it helps, Paul, but sometimes I am able to buy additional rigging thread from local haberdashery stores. You will need to ask for mercanized thread.

(But, Yes, I understand your pain !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy