Niagara 1813 by Don Quixote - Model Shipways - 1:64 - First build

If you don't have some already, a craft/hobby store has beads small enough. That's where I got mine. The package had brown & black beads of several sizes & shapes.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks, Mike. I hadda go into town this afternoon so I did just that and grabbed some from a hobby store.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

• 2 months later...

Well, long time no work on me ship. Granddaughter was here during summer vacation. Amazing 14 year old.

I have done a little work here and there, and finally remembered to bring my phone into the garage with me.

Messed it all up, but I'll do better on the main mast.

post-10291-0-18697300-1474237382_thumb.png

post-10291-0-18718600-1474237384_thumb.png

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Cool Scott!! Must be nice to see some ropes on the sticks.   How did you keep the top mast straight and aligned with the fore mast?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 2 weeks later...

They're not. ;)

I have a bunch of magnets and a 1999 pickup truck. I taped 2 8.5x11" pcs of paper together lengthwise and drew 2 parallel lines apart the same distance as the diameter of the mast and length. Set the paper on my truck and the magnets on that. Put some on the side and underneath an all around to hold them in place...

Brian

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Brian - My apologies for calling you Scott. He's another Niagara builder.

Lol. No problem. Thanks for looking in.  I check your build, but I just never say anything. I always forget the "like" too. Not anti-social, just not very polite :cheers:

In Dry Dock:

I hear ya. I don't do any of those sites where you 'like' stuff so I rarely think to do it here.

There's one site I do, do. And take that for what it's worth. Called nextdoor.com. It's a site dedicated to..., You guessed it, your neighborhood. It goes by the name of your neighborhood. Ours, bridleridge.nextdoor.com.

Someone says, I found a dog. Another says, I found a cat. Another says, "I think I saw a cat... burgler... Another says, "Well, I'll be dog gone!" Then someone gets upset about dogs being gone and everyone gets upset that everyone's upset and... It's the most entertaining site their is. I mean if last nights debate wasn't entertainment, this site is. I can get them fighting over whose dog poops in whose yard. I've been kicked off 2 times, but they always let me back on. ID10T's.

One time someone was complaining about dog poo in their yard so I uploaded a movie of a monkey tossing poo at a zoo. (Hey that rhymed!) Said I, "This is what I would do to the person(s) if I caught them." That was the 1st time I got kicked off. Now I just watch to see who's getting kicked off next.

In Dry Dock:

Sounds like you better get back to building :D

• 3 weeks later...

Can I join entertainment?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 1 month later...

Well, sorry for the long delay, friends. BUSY summer. Which is just now ending here in California. Upper 50's. Rain. 2 more months of this crap.

Anyway, here's the latest. Sorry there's not a lot more, but I was negligent in taking pics.

I'm intimidated by the rigging so I'm putting it on hold while I build the Rattlesnake.

Soon as I get the log started I'll let you know.

post-10291-0-08713800-1481144510_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-68217900-1481144518_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-82221200-1481144529_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Don't blame you regarding the rigging Brian. I'm probably going to do the same thing.

I understand your concerns. However your ship looks great, and she is going to look even better when you begin to add her life lines. When you feel comfortable, there are many of us out there willing to lend a hand.

Good luck with the Rattlesnake. I will be riding along.

Which ship will you build next, Mike?

In Dry Dock:

Well I have a start on Constructo Enterprise but I expect the same rigging issues there. I am also building a PanArt Gunnery Station Cross Section (no rigging required).

But for a serious build I have 2 kits that have the lateen sails. The triangular fore to aft type. The rigging is very simple - Amati Galley Arrow or Occre Cazador. Both are interesting departures from the square rigged builds.

Ya know some times I feel like I'm wimping out by not rigging Niagara. Other times I really like the look with no strings on it. I've been trying to figure out how to turn it into the Admiralty style look.

• 1 month later...

I'm debating between the bluenose or the Baltimore next. No guns, but let's face it, I'm no challenge for wood.

I have no intention of giving this one up.

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Maybe with some simpler things under my belt I will come back to Niagara. I think what is going on with me is the realization that rigging will take 6 months or more and I just don't want to spend what time I have doing that right now.  Maybe some better coordination between eyes & fingers too. For some reason I have been extremely clutsy the last few months.