Niagara 1813 by Don Quixote - Model Shipways - 1:64 - First build

Thanks for the encouragement, Mark and Greg.

I think I will do the fife rails first and I like the idea of the pins. I can't imagine anything more frustrating than belaying a line and pulling up the rails. Thantks for the tip.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Started working on the bilge pump. Plans say to see view "3-N" for details. Traced 'em all out, started building it, some of my best work yet! Then I noticed it says something about 3/8" = 1'. ???  Looked at the plans from the deck point of view and... Holy crap! This thing is 3 times taller than the captains skylight. I realised it would take 3 Dallas Cowboy cheer leaders standing on each others shoulders to reach the handle of the pump. Guess I'll have to do some math.\

Question for any English folks that might be following this: The system I'm using recognises British spellings, not American English. Like neighborhood is the way to spell that in America, but in England it's spelled Neighbourhood. But there is no way to spell math. No matter what, it has that little red squiggly line under it. Same with movie. Do you actually spell out arithmetic instead of math?

I mean, okay, film is shorter than movie, that I'm down with, but can't y'all get a little lazy and call arithmetic math?

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Brian,

Check your browser settings for spellcheck.  I'm not sure why you'd be getting an error on those words.  I'm on IE 10 and no problem with them. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Like I say, it's the system I'm using. I don't use Windoze, I use Linux. The system was developed in Great Britain.

Just wondering if the British use Film instead of movie and arithmetic instead of math.

Thanks, though:)

In Dry Dock:

Try 'maths'.  They go to 'the cinema'.

On the unnecessary use of 'U', I believe the Empire fell because of all the ink and paper wasted by the use of the 'superfluous u'.

Joel's right on the terms.   And he's probably right on the "u".  :D  :D :D  

I'm looking to switch over Linux in the next year as I will absolutely not go to Win10 but there's a few program issues.. hopefully I can find a solution although I may have add the "Wine" (add-on?   I'm not sure)..  Is there a different spell check you can use?  I'm not up to speed yet on various flavors of Linux and add-ons.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Joel's right on the terms.   And he's probably right on the "u".  :D  :D :D  

I'm looking to switch over Linux in the next year as I will absolutely not go to Win10 but there's a few program issues.. hopefully I can find a solution although I may have add the "Wine" (add-on?   I'm not sure)..  Is there a different spell check you can use?  I'm not up to speed yet on various flavors of Linux and add-ons.

My English friend, who took his 'A-Levels' in Chaucerian literature, Uses a 'Spelle Chequer' which seems to work for him. :D

I'm looking to switch over Linux in the next year

I like Linux Mint mate. It's actually Ubuntu with a usable interface. VERY easy to install and update apps. Some 65,000 apps available to install right from the built in searchable installer, plus whatever else is on the internet. As far as multi media goes, it's hands down. Other than Ubuntu, it's the only distro that I know of that has every video, music and image transcoder and codex installed out of the box. There is simply NO WAY to run netflix on my second favorite distro, OpenSuse. Google "how to install netflix on ubuntu" and you'll find the very first link - and most that follow - how simple it is. The install will automatically install wine and configure it for you. Streaming hulu runs right out of the box.

Now... Check this out. https://www.virtualbox.org/This app is free from Adobe and allows you to install almost any O/S on top of your existing O/S. Not duel boot. It'll be a virtual system. You can then install apps on the virtual linux to see what it's like and to test the various flavors.

You're welcome to send a PM anytime and I'll help with what I can. I've been running Linux since 1992.

In Dry Dock:

the cinema

I should have known that! All the Ken Follett I've read... Never would have thought of maths. Plural.

I just ad my atrociously spelled words the the dictionary.

See what happens when you cross cultures and sh**? - The Soprano's; Christopher Moltisanti just before he commits his first murder.

In Dry Dock:

It's from MATH-ematic-S, not arithmetic.

Crossing cultures is like mixing grain and grapes.  You wind up with a fruit-flavored malt beverage.

Apple beer? Ugh. No wonder America is always at war.

In Dry Dock:

My Jerry rigging job to keep the fife rails square.

I always thought it was jury rigging, not jerry. I think juries should be rigged. My motto: "Hang 'em!" What did he do, anyway?

post-10291-0-76902900-1449540802_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-53765400-1449540803_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-21746000-1449540804_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

I like the jig.  If it works... it's great and it looks like it worked.  :)

Jerry-rig or jury-rig...   http://www.word-detective.com/2012/01/jerry-rig-jury-rig/

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Made some .062" Diameter studs to mount in the deck and drilled holes in the 1/8" square vertical posts to stabilize, strengthen and help keep things square.

post-10291-0-82513400-1449563813_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-52729000-1449563814_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-10074900-1449563815_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-96678400-1449563815_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Thanks, Canute. I must admit I prefer wrenching to wood:) I should have just bought 2 ships. I think I've done everything at least twice, and the ports a half dozen times. But I'm learning and having a heck of a lot of fun. 2 years at it now. Glue something, play freecell, glue, play...

In Dry Dock:

I just cut the legs a foot long and stuck the extra into holes drilled into the deck.  Make a little stop cut at deck level and shape the excess to round.

Brian you are doing a great looking ship proud.  I have seen a few Niagaras at Manitowoc and I think yours would be an eyestopper and I would be all over it with my camera.

David B

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I guess I'm my own worst critique.

Heck of a jump from steel to wood :pirate41:

'69 Pontiac Le Mans will be a GTO "clone" when I'm done. 455 C.I., Edelbrock Performance Plus cam, intake, manifold and 650 Carb. 
I have the title showing me as the 2nd owner. Had a 350 with a 3 speed. Bought it for $400 from a man whose family took his license. Found the engine in a field and got it for free. Engine was full of water. Should be around 600 HP.

Just ordered a 6 speed granny tranny. She already has a 373 duel possy rear end. As I understand it, it'll get 20 MPG on the highway with that setup. Probably 20 GPM in the city. There’s a bolt on anti-lock disc break system and McPherson Strut suspension for it.  I'll have my Rattlesnake done by the time I save the $$$ for that stuff!

post-10291-0-76648800-1449643718_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-26614300-1449643719_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-01704100-1449643957_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-39877000-1449643957_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-74168300-1449643957_thumb.jpg

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

• 2 months later...

Back at it! After wasting a dozen nails, I finally got a "jig" I can accept. Then using a tap hammer, I squared the hammock transoms up, and used the needle nose to hold the horizontal part at the length I wanted and again using the hammer, I tapped the end vertically against the side of the pliers. Then, thinking the depth of the cutting edge of the pliers sufficient to create the height I wanted, I did it 50 times. I had to get more strips of brass because it took me too many tries to get it right.

I used the 1/16" strips because I wanted to put a small brad in the center. I was having a hard time getting the brass black to work well. I soaked it in acetone thinking THAT should remove any dirt and oil... After letting it dray a couple hours, I placed the parts in a small bath of brass black for a couple minutes, wiped them off as best I could - given all the tight spots and angles and did it again. Each time I wiped it off, brass showed up again. Not as much, but annoying as h***.

Time to go to bed I thought, let's see what an overnight soaking does. Good thing I tried only 1 part, next morning it was like a tender pot roast that you can't even pull from the pan. So, I did the original process 3 more times and it mostly stays.

Took a lot longer than it needed to. I spent a lot of my time removing "stuff" from the puppy's mouth that I didn't even know was on the garage floor. Some kind of Australian Cattle leader/Shepard. The leader is bred to move cattle long distances. They nip at the heels of the cattle to encourage them to move along. They also seem to like human flesh.

post-10291-0-93842000-1456263494_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-53997700-1456263502_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-81793400-1456263512_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-33849500-1456263522_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-99941000-1456263530_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-14772500-1456263541_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-35627100-1456263549_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-94045000-1456263558_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-70984700-1456263760_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-96015100-1456263772_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Hammock Stanchions too tall?

post-10291-0-88323400-1456352087_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-37305300-1456352103_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

You might take a look at this page:

http://uvsmgshipmodelguild.wikispaces.com/Hammock+Rail+Constructed

I would say a max of 3 ft tall, since if the hammocks are folded in half, if they are straight up and down you get 3 ft.  If the rail is shorter, the hammocks can be put on a slant.

Hello, just discovered your log. I'll be following along, she's looking good. I was aboard the Niagara in June of last year should you need anything specific as I took about 400 pictures with the modeler in mind. I think this might be my next build since I just finished the Charles W Morgan. I have a website devoted to the Morgan and a Gallery of other ships of which the Niagara is part of. Here's the link and let me know if you need anything specific.

John

Link to Niagara Gallery: http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/us-brig-niagra.html

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi, John, thanks for looking in. I'm sure I'll be following your log before I'm done. 2 years into this so far. This shipwright is slow, but as someone else said, the wood is patient. Nice photo's by the way.

In Dry Dock:

Thanks, Joel. I'm feeling silly. I saw on the prints that the stanchions were 3/8" = 1'. So, 1.125" right? Dote! It's a 1:64 scale model! 3/16" = 1' I was looking at an enlargement that said 3/8" = 1'.

Sigh. Won't be the last time I took things apart and started over. It WILL be far from the last, I'm sure. Won't be the last time I contact the parts department at ME either.

I'm going to stick with the 1/16" wide though, I feel I need the added support of the brad. I have a terrible habit of not watching where my left hand is and breaking things.

To that end, I've broken the quarter boat davits of a number of times. I'm not seeing any reason they can't be installed last. Anyone?

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

'parent' scale

It's a"parent" you're right on that scale:)

In Dry Dock:

*SIGH!*

If I didn't love this hobby so much I'd get another one. Like drinking too much. Which I may just start as a result of this hobby!

So, per the article I got from Joel, most stanchions for the hammocks are 3'. Saw that a few other places just to be sure. My scale is 1:64 so 3/16" = 1'. According to the box and the plans. 3' X .1875 = .5625 (9/16") which is what I had. Comparing to other models, that looked way too tall. Finally I measured the plans themselves (DUH!) and it's 9/32"???

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? That's exactly half. Somehow I doubt the hammocks are only 1.5' tall.

Suggestions?

In Dry Dock:

Brian,

They could have been only 1.5 feet tall.  But that's only if the hammock was rolled and then folded in half, which some navies did.  I'm not sure if the American's did though.   Might ask this here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/13-ships-plans-and-project-research-general-research-on-specific-vessels-and-ship-types/

i wonder what the replica has?   I think I'll do some Googling.

Edit:  The photos of her on the web show that the 1.5 foot high hammock rails seem to be right.  For example:  http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/13/22/3f/erie-maritime-museum.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: