Niagara 1813 by Don Quixote - Model Shipways - 1:64 - First build

If I'm understanding correctly then, we're right? I see only the side view I posted and a top view that shows the netting. Is there another place I'm not seeing?

I'm not doing the netting. I think it looks over crowded.

Thanks, guys!

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

jbshan, have you built her yet, or is she an up-coming event?

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Hull's built, spars not, other stuff got in the way, but I have the plans easily accessible.

Dumb sheave and holes in dolphin striker shown on sheet #4

Use a ruler to track lines as they weave their way through.  Notes pointing to lines help too.

T'gallant stay is starboard, flying jib stay is on port, blocks etc. are the same.

Oh man - Am I going to have to go thru this too?  :( Your work looks good Brian.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

LOL! Nah, man... Just don't do anything I do and you'll be fine.

Seriously though. You don't "have" to go through it. You "get" to! I wear tri-foculs and even those are only okay...

Thanks for looking in. You're already doing a great job. I was designed for wrenches and ratchets, not hammers and saws. For me it's all about the bloody mary, the rock and roll and the solitude. I used to be into plastic models and railroading. I got plastic models down to such a science that I can build one detailed rod in a couple days. No room for railroading and I always have loved tall ships so... 

I'm calling this a scratch build. I stare at the plans and scratch my ***. I'm not worried about authenticity or anything, I just want to know how to plank and strop and seize and all that. Next one will look better and probably take half as long.

That model is about 17 years old. Only took a week. She's getting dusty and falling apart. See the exhaust pipe came loose?

Wood. SERIOUS challenge for me. And lovin' every minute of it.

Hey, join us in Shore leave. What have you done today and them old jokes. And others that are great too.

post-10291-0-16840100-1463181877_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-73099100-1463181878_thumb.jpg

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Beautiful! Thought for a moment I was looking at the real thing.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I emailed that photo to my brother and he asked where was it.  I told him it was a model and the look on his face was priceless.

David B

The topgallant stay comes down from the mast, through the dumb sheave in the jibboom, which is a slot in the end of the jibboom, on another sheet of the plans, through a hole in the dolphin striker, to a block, part of the tackle that hooks to the eyebolt on the hull.  The fall of the tackle is belayed inboard.

You sometimes have to go to more than one sheet of the plans to get all the info needed.

Mark, not disparaging your post, I have the plans for Niagara for reference.

Ah.. no problem.  I made a best guess on the info...  I'm glad they've got more than one sheet for the rigging otherwise I'd think it was an AL kit. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks! She is a pride and joy.

In Dry Dock:

As you can see in the picture, I need an "elongated" hole to accommodate the deadeye hooks. I've ruined several pcs of scrap wood trying to make them with my drill press. I have a jewelers press (mfg unknown) that will hold any bit I've tried so far and a Microlux X-Y table as well as a... ah, heck, here's a picture:)  

The jaws will not accommodate the top and even if they did they'd probably crush it. I simply cannot get several holes to line up straight. I'm thinking an x-acto knife aint gonna cut it. Pardon the pun. Ideas?

post-10291-0-92692200-1463641188_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-94713500-1463641907_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

BTW that's not my top! That's from greatgallion. That's what I NEED to do and so far cannot.

In Dry Dock:

I drilled 2 holes close to each other and then carved out what was in between them.

Another option (and I did this as well) notch the edge of the top where a deadeye should go. After you get them in place glue a blackened brass strip around the top to close the notch. This is similar to how some folks do channels and chainstays. Page 7 of my log has a few pix.

What's really sad? I have a shortcut to your build as a tab at the top of my browser and forgot to check it. LOVE the way you did your deadeyes. Wish I'd thought of that. I WILL remember that when I do the rest.

I like the idea of notching that out like you say. That's what I'll do. I've been at a stale mate for a few days now.

Thanks!!!!

MSW Rules!

In Dry Dock:

Thanks Brian. If you do notch, you should decide what you will use to close it up once the deadeyes are in place.

I'll be doing some testing this evening. I'm hoping I can fabricate wood to fit.

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

For the mast tops, I have these 4 cheeks but they all are 7 degrees. Am I supposed to shape 2 to be 21 degrees for the main mast?

post-10291-0-26476700-1465081907.jpg

In Dry Dock:

The mast surface where the cheeks will be glued is square at that point. You can make that angle almost anything you want and just sand the cheek edge flush . Don't forget the masts are raked. I believe the cheek angle is done so that the tops will be level instead of taking on the angle of the rake.

post-22218-0-32192700-1465095023_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-33951000-1465095014_thumb.jpg

Pardon the cobwebs :o  the masts have been sitting on a stand for months now.

Edited by mikiek

That's what I was afraid of. And did NOT want to hear.

I've been through and through these directions. The only easy part I've found is when I put it on the shelf and call it done. :D

In Dry Dock:

Ehh - not a big deal. If I recall I just put the masts in the boat, squared them off and then eyeballed the cheeks.. If your tops are done, you can set them on the cheeks to verify. Use white glue to glue the cheeks and wait a minute or so. By then you won't have to hold them but can still slide them around if you need to.

Hey y'all! I finally had a good idea. *I* think anyway. I was getting frustrated that my work kept coming off the serving machine. I have replacement erasers for my mechanical pencils so I cut a couple pcs. off and stuck it on top of the wires.

My fist stroped block. Somewhere along the line it got upside down.

post-10291-0-96831500-1465249765_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-15785400-1465249767_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

That would be annoying. Oh the things we come up with! Just so I have something to look forward to, how many bazillion of those blocks do we have to make?

Seriously, a good start. Is that Domanics serving machine?

Only:

800,880,808,018,628,638,638,6dx,386,sx3,86d,x23,86s,l38,6dx,4pe,nti,ump,ent,ium,mmx,pen,tiu,mpr,ope,nti,umI,Ipe,nti,umI,IIp,ent,ium,cor,epe,nti,umd,ual,cor,eco,re2,duo,cor,e2q,uad,cor,e2e,xtr,eme,qua,dco,rex,eon,cor,ei3,i5i,72n,dge,ni3,i5i,700

X the radius of pi squared.

X the port side.

In Dry Dock:

I don't think that block is stropped upside down.  The holes should be at the top of the block when running the rigging through them to simulate going over the sheave.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I don't think that block is stropped upside down.  The holes should be at the top of the block when running the rigging through them to simulate going over the sheave.

Exactly.  Your block would be the bottom one in the pic.

post-17589-0-32014700-1465303182.gif

Ah, I get it now. That makes sense.

And yes, Mike that is Domanics.

Last night I broke one of the stropping pins (That I put the eraser on) but the whole thing cane of, not snapped. I soldered it back on and good to go again.

Thanks for the help, y'all!

In Dry Dock:

• 4 weeks later...

Back at it a little bit. I'll try to get some pics, I have made a little progress...

Question regarding Batten's for the top gallant and royal yards. Are we supposed to make them? I see nothing pre-cut.

Seems like hanging a yard would be easier than making a batten and those beaded perrel's.

So what IS easier?

In Dry Dock:

Welcome back.

You're leading the way on rigging. I'm sure someone in the know will jump in.

Top left sheet 4 and T. L. sheet 6.  Can use simpler form of parrel (a loop of rope) for both royal and t'gallant yards.

Reprieve granted.

Reprieve granted.

:D

Got it, thanks, Joel. I'm gonna try the beaded option first.

In Dry Dock: