Freedom Song Boatworks Tancook Whaler

ccoyle

Well, as if I don't have enough projects waiting in the wings ...

Freedom Song Boatworks came to my attention many years ago.  Frankly, I find their list prices to be a bit steep, considering what comes in their kits according to their product descriptions (e.g. printed parts -- really?  In 2014?), but they have some unique offerings of American small sailing craft.  So, for some years now I have had them on my eBay alerts list, but usually it is one of FSB's R/C designs that has come up for auction.  But, finally, today I was alerted that a kit of Evangeline, a Tancook whaler, had been listed, so I snapped it up.  When I get around to building her, I will probably do some research with the goal of super-detailing the basic kit.  I'm very interested to see how one of these FSB kits stack up against the superb offerings from Midwest Products.  I will post a review of the kit when it arrives sometime in the next week or so.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I believe the FSB Tancook Whaler model is a "modern interpetation" of the boat and not an accurate replica.  From the pictures I have seen it is a hard chine design and rather lacking in detail.  Be interesting to see how it turns out.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to seeing this built. There is some nice reference on this type of boat in Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft (pp162-168), including scantling diagram and sail plan.

At 1/24 scale, it will make a nice "up the coast" counterpoint to Model Expo's Pinky schooner and Midwest's Muscongus Bay sloop.

Help needed! I recently bought a kit for Evangeline on ebay, but when I recieved the kit there were 3 sheets with copies of the sheet with the keel and half deck, no printed sheets for the other parts.  I called Freedom Song, and the owner said he is no longer in business, and sounded quite frail.  Can someone send me scans of the other 2 large sheets and the small sheet?

Hi Chris, This looks like a nice boat to build , I will pull up a chair and watch.

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Pete, don't pull up that chair too soon!  This project is several spots back in the queue.

Ron, are you speaking of the printed parts sheets needed to cut the parts from the wood billets?  Too bad about FSB going out of business, although their web site is still up.  This explains why their inventory has been declining over the years.  It'd be nice if someone purchased the right to update and produce the FSB line of kits.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Yes, my kit had 3 sheets with the same parts printed on all 3, the bottom large sheet in the above photo. even a decent resolution photo of each sheet from directly above would work, I could make scaled drawings from them, using CAD. I'll probably use different wood anyway, as the sheets are thick balsa.