If you're doing a French ship from the 1700's this book is a "must have".  Even if you're not building a French ship, his techniques are worth the price.  It's available in several languages.  I have no connection to ANCRE other than being a happy customer.

From the ANCRE website:

DESCRIPTION
Bernard Frölich has always been a builder of ship's models. As a geographical engineer, he discovered Jean Boudriot's books and monographs in the late 70s. He fell in love with the beauty of sailing ships of the classic period and since then has dedicated all his free time to building historical navy models.
This practical experience made him a genuine authority in that field. He has published numerous articles on that subject over the past years. At our request, he has gathered, edited and significantly enriched these articles in order to produce his book.
L'ART DU MODELISME describes the author's experience and methods in 300 pages abundantly illustrated with numerous drawings, sketchs and more than 600 commentated photos. In this book, Frölich describes in detail all the crafts that a shipmodeler must master : he must be in turn a shipwright; a carpenter; a cabinetmaker; a marqueter; a blacksmith; a ropemaker and a sailmaker. He shows that any beginner, if he is industrious and persevering, can master this art. This fact becomes all the more evident since we can see the tremendous progress made by the author himself through the use of photographs of his own work. This book itself is a tremendous learning experience. In the first twenty pages Frölich describes his studio, his tools and equipment and his library. He then devotes about one hundred pages to the timbers of a 1730 merchant vessel , the Mercure, and to M.de Tourville 's three-decker vessel of 1680, L'Ambitieux. In the next one hundred twenty pages, the author discusses the equipment, fittings, guns, decoration and sculptures, ship's boats and rigging. The final sixty pages offer a description of Frölich's own models (all at 1:48 scale ) : the schooner Jacinthe; the lugger Coureur; the brig Cyclope; the bomb ketch Salamandre; the 12-pdr frigate Belle Poule; the merchant vessel Mercure and the xebec Requin. The unfinished model of L'Ambitieux - the Chevalier de Tourville's three-decker vessel - is abundantly described in the chapter on framework.
Although the author denies it, this book is a genuine treatise on historical naval shipmodeling. The photographs included show that the skills of today 's shipmodelers match the talent of the creators of the period model pieces preserved and displayed in our museums.

post-76-0-02517200-1361128475.jpg

post-76-0-81262200-1361128492_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-87804000-1361128498_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the book report, Mark.  This book is on my 'need to read' list.  Hi, my name is Bob and I'm a book-aholic.

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

It's really a wonderful book.

I don't know how the English translation is, but in German it's sometimes very funny to read and understand, what they mean.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Christian,

There's a few of those "raised eyebrows" type of translations. But I guess that's to be expected in any translation.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi, I'm new to the site.  My brother just passed away and he left many ship models that were either started or still new, in the box.  He has left many books including The Art of Ship Modeling by Bernard Frolich.  I can't find the value of this book because it is, apparently, out of print.  Anyone have any ideas on the value of this book or of models that are started.  I appreciate any help you can give.

You can still buy that book new...its $78 Euros.  So used...depending on condition, about half the price.  As far as your models....unless we had a list of what they are we couldnt say.

Chuck

It's certainly not out of print. I just bought a copy from Ancre which was delivered in very quick time. Note: no shipping charges in the EU.

However, having studied it, I would think it is more valuable to the advanced modeller who already has some experience in using the techniques and tools portrayed since these are very much in shorthand in the book.

In terms of practical suggestions on individual steps in the process of building a model at my stage of the game, I think my main sources, in order, have been (1) this site with its enormous reservoir of help and demonstration from people who are both generous and selfless, (2) 'Historic Ship Models' by zu Mondfeld, (3) Underhill's two volumes on Plank on Frame models (definitely only second-hand now).

The other books I have found useful at my stage of learning have been the Anatomy of the Ship series on the Cutter 'Alert', and George Bandurek's book on Super-Detailing the Cutter Sherbourne (which used to be a log on this site). I also wasted money on about three other books which gave almost no detail or instruction and were pretty much just pretty pictures -- or the level of instruction was so basic as to make me sigh with frustration.

All the same, I am happy I bought Frolich's book and I do use some of the suggestions he makes already (e.g. the building of a ship's boat -- although I am supplementing that with much better detail from this site). But the fact is that when I want to look at some of the detail of each step of the construction I have found the resources on this site by far the most valuable.

Please bear in mind these comments are only those made by a novice builder. It may well be that I come to appreciate the value of Frolich's book  much more as I progress.

Also others will have their own priority list of resources -- especially as they may be coming to the subject with a great deal more practical experience than I have.

If you can get a second-hand copy of Frolich and are at the same stage of the game as I am, then it truly is worth having -- if only to gawk at the amazing workmanship he displays. On the other hand, I can say I am equally stupefied by some of the builds I have seen on this and other fora for free.

To my mind, achieving such craftmanship is not only finding others to show you some of the tricks (which you can do almost entirely using the posts and resources of this forum), it is also the sheer painful slog of trying it all out for yourself. That is what I am finding, and equally enjoying.

I suppose my bottom line is that if you are hard-pressed for cash, then think carefully and try and see a copy before buying books. They are very expensive!

Tony

I had the pleasure of seeing this book several times. With the change I'll have to wait on this for better times. Someday I will own this book.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

• 1 month later...

Hello,

The book is still available from ANCRE. Delivery can be slow at times because Hubert Berti, the owner, takes off to Marakech when he feels like it and sometimes orders can back up for a few weeks. I was the co-publisher of the English version which was translated from the French by Paul Fontenoy of the North Carolina Maritime Museum. The book was so warmly received that it was subsequently translated into German, Spanish and Italian. It is one of the most popular modeling books ever done. If you can get a copy then grab it because when ANCRE's stock runs out I do not think there will be a reprint. It is too expensive and Mr. Berti is in his 80's

Bob Friedman

This book is a Master Class in ship modelling. Few of us will ever attain the level of skill shown by M. Frolich but we can certainly drool over the beautiful photos of his models. Whether used to improve one's skill-set or simply purchased as a coffee table book you won't be disappointed.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...

I bough this book in French, when there were not yet any copies available in other languages. I later learnt that the book was also available in English, Spanish and other languages. Since I already had the French edition, I thought it an unnecessary expense to buy another copy. A few days ago I took  the "What the Heck" attitude and ordered a copy in Spanish. It took 8 days to arrive at my Custom broker's warehouse, and I expect to have it in my hands early next week.

If anyone would be interested in my French copy (in pristine mint condition)  please PM me.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Ulises,

Put your offer in the Traders and Dealers section.  You get more traffic on it than here.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sure!!! Here you can find this one, as well as many other books on the subject. Enjoy!!!

(Wish I could buy ALL of them!!!  :( )

(Google Chrome translates foreign languages pages.)

http://www.editions-ancre.com/Search.aspx?L=FR

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

I received my Spanish copy of The Art of Ship Modeling today.

I was anxiously awaiting this book, and it looks like it'll be a great reading material.

Unfortunately there are several issues that got me very disappointed, which however, I will not disclose here until I hear from Mr. H. Berti first. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's only fair to post an update here.

I received a very badly damaged book in a totally unacceptable condition.

I sent a mail including some photos of the damage to Mr. H. Berti.

I received no answer whatsoever so 8 days later I sent a second mail requesting status of this matter.

Although I did not received an answer to this second email either, a new book, wrapped in plastic and in perfect condition  was received today.

No return request  of the damaged book was made by ANCRE.

So the matter was resolved to my satisfaction.

I own now 3 copies of this book: One in French in mint condition, a Spanish damaged copy and a brand new Spanish copy.

I think I am going to keep the damaged book in my shop so that I can consult it without fear of damaging it. I may even be able to write notes on it :), something I would never do on a book of this price.

Credit due to ANCRE and Mr. H. Berti.

• 1 month later...

I just received my copy of this book today - about a week after ordering it (that's quick for international orders to Downunda). The book arrived in perfect condition and I am delighted with it. It is a beautiful book in its own right, even just as a coffee table book, but I can see that it will also be a terrific resource over the years. If you don't own it already, and can spare the readies, then do yourself a favour.

My name is Grant, and I am a ship modelling book-aholic.

I have this book for some time and for some reason forgot about it. A week or two ago I "rediscovered" it again and am reading it again. After all the years I have it I'm still amazed about the detail and information found in this (English version) book. Well worth the price.

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis

Something to remember  --  Mr. H. Berti  --  passed away not long ago. See posting on this website. So don't know what is happening. So double check before ordering anything as to who is now in charge.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Something to remember  --  Mr. H. Berti  --  passed away not long ago. See posting on this website. So don't know what is happening. So double check before ordering anything as to who is now in charge.

Later 42rocker

I was aware of Mr Berti's passing before placing my order. I believe the business is being run by his son, but in any case the response to an initial email query was very prompt and the attendance to my subsequent order was likewise handled promptly, efficiently, and courteously. I would have no concerns in placing further orders with Ancre. If you have any doubts, I suggest sending them an email first - and if like me, you don't speak French, they will correspond in English.

I wish this one was in English, I would get it if it was. I have a few different book from ANCRE that I bought some time back a few years ago. I also got the first two volumes of the 74 Gunship and I love them. To bad more of the ones that Ancre sells are not in English.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

I wish this one was in English, I would get it if it was. I have a few different book from ANCRE that I bought some time back a few years ago. I also got the first two volumes of the 74 Gunship and I love them. To bad more of the ones that Ancre sells are not in English.

Joe,

This one IS available in English - that's what I bought. ;)

Oh Crap,

Thank god the wife is in China, and as I am writing this I am talking to her on the phone. Oh well it's my money and I love my books LOL. Thanks Grant.

I won't tell if you don't Joe ;)

Joe,

I think all 5,000+ of us will keep your secret safe.  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: