Harvey 1812 by Floyd Kershner - Artesania Latina - 1:48 - 1812 Baltimore Clipper

Floyd,  It's fun to see the progress on "Lady Caroline."  I hate to think that the work shop will become a play house, tool shed or whatever. Or can you take it with you?  I'll get a better look at the clipper on Saturday.  Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Gil - I am glad to hear you will be here. You may want to play with the rope walk. Sadly there will be one more meeting in the Workshop. We will have to talk about where to hold our meetings in the future. If I have my way it will be on the deck of my new home or inside somewhere. I am working on the admiral to relax a bit. She is still against the idea of sawdust inside the house.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd, do I notice you have gotten your house sold?I am more than happy to come over with a rig and remove the workshop.:-)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Sure for the right price you can have it! :D

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Ok here is a bit of mid-week progress. But first disaster! I soaked the walnut cap rails over night. I also had the false deck from another kit that I clamped the rails too. So after 1 night of soaking and 1 night of clamping the first picture is the result. So I started over with a new strip. Soaked over night and clamped over night, then I glued and clamped to the Hull. Lastly I let that sit over night and this morning I removed the clamps. Here you see the results.

Finally its time to get back to the 2nd planking. I may just have all the deck furniture in the next month.

post-1088-0-88353000-1363183812.jpg

post-1088-0-23375600-1363183824.jpg

post-1088-0-91134300-1363183836.jpg

post-1088-0-10755300-1363183847_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

PS after much experimentation I have determined that the forum crops my photos. For example the 2 pictures above have the bow cut off. The vertical picture is not cropped.

Also you will note in the background Chuck's book on the Syren. Chuck I would have paid full price just to have that book. I find it very useful and full of ideas. I think I will adapt your design of the binnacle for this model.

Also I want to take this opportunity to thank Hank. I ordered the crew for this build from Modelshipyard and also ordered a Windlass. They are on their way by slow boat across the pond.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Floyd -  isn't that walnut a pain in the butt to work with!  It splinters, or splits along the grain, or just doesn't play well.  Nice save, I'm sure it was frustrating to have to wait overnight - twice!

About the cropping.  I see all the way to the end of the stem piece when looking at the first two photos.  I'm not sure how much more there should be :)

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

When I built mine  I had the same problem..

The issue is basic engineering  mechanics.   Bottom line... as we all know its really hard to bend something thin and wide along the wide side  ..

Too much stress.....  on the wood and YOU!!

My solution was to build up , one at a time,  4-  2x2 mm strips  to make the 2 x 8  mm cap rail..  then sand the surface smooth.  It was much easier to bend the 2x2  strips...  then clamp/glue them together.   

I've used that trick many times on caps and other wide horizontal curves....  never fails to work..

good luck..

Good Idea Desert Sailor. I will remember that next time. It was very frustrating. Thank goodness I had 3 planks. the 3rd was used for the Taffrail which gave me some extra. So do you have a suggestion on how to get the bow end of the cap rail to line up? On this build it is not bad but I wanted it better. Also frustrating is the fact that none of these planks goes the full length of the model. Good thing the Cap rail at the stern will be under the Davits for the ship's boat.

As to the cropping. it appears that the cropping only occurs on the thumbnails not the actual picture. If you click on one of my pictures you will see the whole thing.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Good Idea Desert Sailor.

Thanks.. I have my moments  ( it's when the stuff waers off or kicks in... haven't figured that out yet !!) 

how to get the bow end of the cap rail to line up?

What I did was to soak  1 - 2 x2 strip  sufficiently to bend it along the curve of the gunwale  and then glue/clamp  it place along the gunwale. Since the gunwale is ~ 2-3 mm thick,  you can easily align it and there will be "meat" to which to adhere ...

Then take the next 2x 2 strip and repeat the procees on the opposite side.. aligning the strip heads together at the bow..  Then start you laminating with successive strips....

Don't forget  ... take into account  that if you align the remaing strips at the head,  be sure the strip is long enough to run the entire length of the gunwale  all the way back to the transom  or else you got some butt splicing to do.. not hard,  but why do it if you got adequate length  stock..?

good luck

Floyd,

Next time, you might want to consider scarfing your cap rail similar to what j21896 is doing on his Caldercraft HMS Mars. I plan to do that on the taffrail of my Flying Cloud when I get to it (sometime before the South Pole melts).

Another option is to cut the shape of the entire rail out of 1 large piece of walnut (like a 4"x24" sheet). It's wood-wasteful, but gets the job done if you have the wood.

Another option is to edge glue 3-4-5 pieces of walnut together to get the same effective width as a large sheet of walnut and cut it out.

But the scarfed caprail is probably the correct way to go.

I think what you (and I-and countless others) have tried to do is called "edge-setting". That's the term our CWB boatbuilder uses.

Thanks,

Harvey

Floyd, what browser are you using?  I'm seeing the same pic in thumbnails and full size.  I'm using Win7 with IE9.

You might try hitting the "add to post" for the pics after choosing the files and see if that helps.  post-76-0-93357900-1363239731.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark - Since I work at Microsoft and I am responsible for much of the testing of certain Microsoft products, I am also using Win 7 & IE 9. So what did you do? This morning I pull up the pictures and there is no cropping. Are you trying make me look bad? :huh:

PS soon I will be going to Win 8 & IE 10. Wish me luck! One of the reasons I play with sticks & string is as a counterpoint to Computers.

Also Harvey - Do you want me to be authentic?!! I agree just cutting it out with the saw would be easier. But we have to try everything once.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Floyd,

To quote;  "I didin do nuthin!!"....  Interesting that it "fixed" itself... hmmm...     I know I see things slightly different at work than at home.  Same OS and browser, but different monitor and PC. 

I hear you on the reason for playing with this stuff.   I do IT (support work) for a heath insurance company.  I'm trying to ignore Win8 and IE10, but probably won't happen. I'll have to face the monsters. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark - I am sorry to tell you this but you better hurry up. Windows "Blue" is coming in 6 to 9 months. Win8 will be old by Xmas.

Well another week has gone by. As some of you may know I started another discussion related to planking in the Planking forum. Previously all the planking I have done was either covered by paint or putty. This is the first time I have done the 2nd layer. I do want to learn how to spile. But in this case I had already milled the wood for this layer before I understood the need. So I am going to opt for the planking method described for using the material that comes with the kit. So I have decided to add 1 strake at the Bulwarks and 1 at the Keel to provide a straight line to work from. From there I will taper and fit as needed. I also noticed that others were posting more details. So I will add some of the intermediate pictures that I have not posted before from now on.

So for today, In the attached picture you will see that I have installed the first 4 strakes of planking. I wanted to make sure the first strake below the bulwarks was complete so that I had something for the wales to attach to. I soaked the planks and used spot welding with CA to get these planks to hold. I will let them and the PVA glue dry and then continue. Hopefully I will get 4 more strakes tonight.

post-1088-0-49920300-1363564331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, This log has reached a pause. There are 2 reasons for this. 1 The 2nd layer of planking I milled for myself turned out to be a bit too thick. I had to removed all of it and start over. I have ordered more planking and it is currently back ordered. The 2nd reason is we have finally sold our home and we are spending every weekend looking for a new house. This and packing has severely cut into my modeling time. Hopefully we will be settled in about 4 weeks and I will be back to this model.

Rahack - Please PM me with an address I will send you a copy of the plans.

Maso - I hope your model is more accurate. Do you have a build log? I would like to see it. I also have a question - Can you tell me how your deck is laid out? As you can see in this log I am redesigning this kit.

Spellapeaka - There were 3 versions of this kit produced. One of the earlier versions had only 1 layer of planking. this layer was made of a thicker Walnut than is currently used. There are some other details that are different. I think you will find that the wood for the planking is hard to bend.

Hello, Congrats on the house! Hopefully me and the misses will be moving to an upgrade in the next 2 years. I noticed all of the deck bashing you are planning. Sounds really interesting. I think this is par for the corse on this kit. I saw a build log on the old site (I cannot remember the member's name) They completed the harvey with alot of bashing, alot of similar Ideas. I believe they built a windlass and scrapped the outhouses as well. Almost a scratch build with all the changes they made. REally beautify build. Wish I could give you more information.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Current Build: The Harvey

Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also building the Harvey. I have a couple hours work and the first layer of planking will be finished.

I'm glad, I found this post, it has shown me a lot.

Is this kit still made??

tlnibert

Huntington WV

Please create a build log. I would love to compare mine with yours. I believe the kit has been discontinued, I am not sure. Have you decided to make changes or stick to the plans?

Hi Floyd

I am also building the Harvey though it was started years ago and I only returned to it late last year due to work and other interests. Like you I am changing the build from that in the kit though I wish I knew then what I know now. I have abandoned the deck layout completely and am also revising the rigging somewhat. I will start a log and would like to discuss my changes with you.

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

Hey Floyd

Bet you didn't know there's a great band with your first name :D I'm finally getting caught up on my log reading. Congrats on the house sale. I don't know about out there, but in the mid-west the housing market is dead. Good luck with the move, I've vowed never to move again.

Nice plans on your Harv... um Caroline. I love to see a good bashing. One question I have on the bulwarks. You stated you scrapped the plywood and I did also on my swift (what crappola), anyway, I went with basswood rather then balsa. Was there a specific reason for balsa rather then basswood? Balsa just seems soft to me, but I'm new so I ask lots of questions. I found the solid basswood sheet cut easily and formed very well and was plenty ridgid without the second planking. I'll never not make my own bulwarks on any kit I build, if ply is provided. (Thanks to Capt Harv for that change)

I was also going to recommend the Syren Binnacle but I see you already decided on that. I'm wanting to incorporate the Syren's Wheel and binnacle into my swift if possible.

She's looking good, and the backorder on wood should arrive just in time to have the move over with.

Keith - Thanks for stopping by. The only reason I used Balsa instead of Basswood is that I found a piece of Balsa that was thinner than any sheet of Basswood I could find. Yes I would prefer to use Basswood whenever possible. but in the case I knew I was going to plank both sides so no problem. And you can guess how flexible the Balsa was. So it was easy to install. But once installed I did have the issue of how fragile the Balsa was. So I had to plank it right away to add strength.

As to the back order it just arrived. Unfortunately we have less than 2 weeks to move. So the model will have to wait a bit longer.

As to the sale of the house - It was a short sale. This is the reason I am moving into a rental.

As to the band - When I was in College was when "The Wall" first came out. So yes I do know! :P

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Moving into a rental - OUCH - that means 2 moves. Its best to take your time and find the right place though. Ive seen too many rush and end up with a house they didnt really want. One of the Dr's at Tammys clinic bought within a week of moving and bought a place they hated.

Plus its very much a buyers market right now. Good luck with the moves, they can be super stressful. Packing also forces you to admit to all the stuff you've accumulated. Thats why I wouldn't move, too much packratting to deal with for me.

make sure the new place has a HUGE modeling room

I live to serve the Admiral. It is she who will decide if and when w move and how often. And I believe that are a few moves left in the future. Hunting for a rental has been challenging. When you have lived for 9 yrs in a 3000 sq ft house with 2 acres of land you tend to expand. Most landlords do not understand 4 pets, a full sized boat and too much furniture to name. The biggest challenge over the next 2 weeks is going to b the down sizing. We thought we had found a wonderful place with a 600 sq foot basement shop. But they did not like the 4 pets. We will see how things develop.