Topsail Schooner "Eagle" 1847 by Pete Jaquith - Finished

What a beautiful build, you must be so proud of her. I only wish that I could do half as well.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Mike, Tony,

Thank you for your interest.  The Topsail Schooner "Eagle" 1847 was an enjoyable build and a great learning experience.  Many of these techniques and the basic construction sequence were applied on my current Brigantine "Newsboy" 1854 build.

Regards,

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Hi Pete,

I completely agree with all the posts praising your build. I think it is an amazing and exquisite work of art. As a relative neophyte to model ship building, the fact that it was scratch built blows me away. I saw that this is a repost. How long did it take you? If you could break down the time between research and actual fabrication. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Best,

Steve

Beautiful work Pete, as always. Thanks for reposting.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Steve, Jim,

Thank you for your interest.

The Maine Topsail Schooner "Eagle" 1847 was my 1st scratch build and also a very enjoyable build.  I think that future models of my "American Merchant Sail from the Mid-1800's Series" will be scratch or near scratch build as I have developed a standard build sequence and list of preferred fitting suppliers.

Planning for the Topsail "Eagle" build was ~40-60 hours while I built furniture for our New Hampshire house.  Actual construction was ~800 hours spread over roughly one year.  As I was retired at the time, time was reletively free.  Now that I am working again, time is more limited.

Regards,

Pete

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Its intersting that the Jib and Flying Jib are sewn in a different pattern using two halves rather than full length strips. Is this an innovation developed in sail making?

Beautiful work!

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

A beautiful model Pete, I would be very pleased to have one of my models turn out so well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Pete,

Sorry I some how missed the finish of the Eagle. As always you have produced another wonderful model. :)

I'm sure your friends are thrilled to have it.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

I hope things are going well with your "real world modeling".

I've been making some progress on my BlueJacket Smuggler and I've started a build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7684-schooner-smuggler-by-perls-bluejacket-scale-148-gloucester-1877/#entry227443. Looking at your build logs has been a major inspiration for me.

Actually, I've pretty much decided to follow in your footsteps and stick with 19th century schooners/commercial vessels. I had a chance to buy the Model Shipways Bluenose on sale and it will be my next build. I realize that many will consider it on par with the build difficulty of the Smuggler. However, the Smuggler is my first build and I thought that the Bluenose could help me learn POB and rigging with sails. At the same time, I would capitalize on the rigging experience for schooners I learned from the Smuggler.

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, but after the Bluenose, I'm thinking of either the Bluejacket Atlantic or, more like likely the Chas. Notman. All this is building up to my question for you. If I can get through these builds in some kind of reasonable time frame, I would like to follow you with the Eagle as a first scratch build. I'm hoping you might be able to give an idea of how I can start now with some research, plans, and preparations. Thank you in advance for any help/direction you might be able to give me.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Perls

Hi Steve,

Thank You for your interest in "Eagle" 1847. With respect to research for my Topsail Schooner "Eagle" 1847 scratch build I used the following sources:

>>> Model Shipways 3/16" scale plans by William Zakambell

>>> Over 36 shipmodel plans of mid 1800's merchant sail collected from Model Shipways, A.J. Fisher, Bluejacket, Harrold Underhill, and various maritime museums

>>> A number of reference books including Crother's, Steel's, Underhill, and many books on rigging

>>> A large scale model of the sister ship "Arrowsic" at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, Maine

The rest is sort of common sense. I try to consider how I would build the vessel full scale as well as a sense of proportation. When you get ready to start, I would be glad to forward my files and sketches.

Regards,

Pete

Edited by Pete Jaquith

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Thanks Pete,

I appreciate the references and your kind offer.

I will start looking up the reference materials. I also just picked up a copy of Chapelle's "The American Fishing Schnooners 1825-1935 ". It is truly amazing. I never realized the enormous volume of scholarship available and amount of research that model shipbuilders undertake if one is to take a serious approach to the craft (after what I've been learning I'm a bit hesitant to label it a hobby). I'm beginning to understand that while modeling skills are vital, it can be an avocation with an almost an unlimited depth of various skills and learning to which one can apply oneself.

I'm still in the shallow end of the pool but, I've set my sights high. I'm sure I will need your help and support along the way. Thanks again.

Best,

Stephen

• 3 years later...

Pete, your log has really helped me as I try to envision a schooner that I’m trying to build without plans. My dad started it about 1940 and I grew up with it. He’s passed on, and the model was in pretty poor shape, but I wanted to finish it for my grandkids. Thanks for your help on the project!

Thank you for your interest and support.  Over the past few years I kept busy supporting a number of full scale ship building projects in both the US and Canada.  While continuing my shipbuilding consulting business, Linda and I recently completed a move to Indio, CA.  With my shop setup nearing completion, I plan to return to woodworking and ship modeling in the coming months.  Currently planned projects include:

• Steam Tug "Seguin" 1:48 scale built in Bath, ME in 1884 (Bluejacket kit)
  • Restart of my Brigantine "Newsboy" 1:64 scale built in 1854 (semi-scratch from Model Shipways kit)
  • Restart of my Brig "Fair American" 1:48 scale circa 1780 (semi-scratch from Model Shipways kit)
  • Restoration of family antique tables

Regards,

Pete, Shipbuilder

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...