cristikc

Sovereign of the Seas by cristikc - Mantua - 1:78 scale

Hey cristkc am looking closely at this model for a future build can you let the group know of the wood quality and quantity please.

have built Amati Santa Maria (great quality wood and reasonable amount)

Mamoli Golden Hind (very poor quality wood and not enough, just as well below the waterline is painted so can cheat with other timbers.

also poor quality fittings and badly misshaped parts)

half way through Corel Victory (great quality throughout)

would love an appraisal before forking out the considerable sum this model costs. would not touch another Mamoli kit

cheers

Vossy

Hi Brian, thank's fpr the wishes

Vossy

As i saw when i unpack, the wood quality seems excelent,

i did not count the parts, but i will see how many are. Generaly at the end, i remain with some,

but depends how you organise the work

Cristi

Hey Cristi best of luck have only really had problems with mamoli and to be fair maybe it was just that kit and i was

unlucky; but i'm in Australia and SOS costs over 2 grand here so you can understand my interest. anyway have fun

will be watching with interest

cheers

Vossy

Hey Vossy

Sorry to hear about these.

For the moment, i did not have problems with the kits, it was a small one to Occre, but i solved.

Hope not to have problems with this

Looks like you got your work cut out for you . Should be a great build, I look forward to watching your progress

Best Regards,

Pete

Hi Cristi

congratulation to your start with the Sovereign. I just started the Royal Caroline by Panart - also an Mantua company - and I am VERY pleased by the quality of the kit. Almost everything seems to fit perfect, but there is a lot of work and fun with the fittings on the deck. I will watch your build with great pleasure.

All teh best

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Hi Cristi,

I will crab a seat and will see what you make of this !

Have fun and enjoy the modelling time !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Cristi, Will follow with interest,this one is one the shelf for now,happy modeling.Edwin.

Hi all, thank you for the kind words, and for the encourage thoughts.

It will be a lot of work, but hope the results will be the same

Cherrio, i saw that you like, as i like Mantua models, it is an old and very good company.

I will look with interest to all of you, and your works

All the best from me, Cristi

I'm pulling up a chair to watch this build.  I have no doubt looking at your other work that this is going to be fantastic.  Are you putting the San Juan Bautista on hold while you build this or doing both at once?

Hi Cristi

Welcome to the SOS club.

I am sure you will find the kit a good build to do.

Have a look at Vince P log on the SOS he is a fantastic model builder I think you will get a good idea on how to go about the build.

Good luck I will also follow your build.

Denis.

Good luck!  This ship is going to be my next build so I'll be following your log closely.  My kit is much older (I got it for a steal many years ago and haven't gotten around to building it).  Looks like they have made some changes--what are those long strips that look like they have gunports etched on them?  Are they a template to guide with port placement or part of the first planking?  And what are those big U shaped things in the same picture?  Just curious.

Hi Christi,

It is trully a great kit and will make a dandy model. There are however many issues with the instructions and plans. The materials are excellent. Make sure your plans are dated "2008", if not, you need to get the latest set. I have a detailed build log here, where I outlined most all of the problems I encountered along the way from start to finish. There is also a gallery I posted on the finished model. You will have a great deal of fun with this one. Give me a buzz if you have a question.

Vince P.

Edited by Vince P.

Good luck!  This ship is going to be my next build so I'll be following your log closely.  My kit is much older (I got it for a steal many years ago and haven't gotten around to building it).  Looks like they have made some changes--what are those long strips that look like they have gunports etched on them?  Are they a template to guide with port placement or part of the first planking?  And what are those big U shaped things in the same picture?  Just curious.

Yes the U shaped things are the handrails and need to be cut out with a lot of care.

The long strips with the gun ports on are part of the second planking, you need to keep the centre of the gun ports as they are part of the gun port doors.

Denis.

After 9 (nine) month of waiting, i start this veri nice kit.

In this month i have to finish San John, and also to spent a lot of time with my nice (that i love very much).

I also read all type of instrunctions, and i will pay attention to all the advices you told me.

I look to the steps made by Garym (it looks ok the way he solves the problems).

I thanks to all of you that gave me advices.

These are the fist steps.

Fist sanding and a small test of the way it will arrange, before glueing

post-425-0-99101100-1425446089_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-65976400-1425446106_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-40597400-1425446122_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-91417100-1425446137_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-92249300-1425446152_thumb.jpg

someware in the back, San John finished but without a display case

(i need a litle time to prepare a display case for her)

post-425-0-82578400-1425446204_thumb.jpg

Hope to have time and make a good start

Hi Chris

Perfect start - I will follow your build as I am interested in this model too. Perhaps some day I will get it and try to create an impressing model, so as you will do now.

Many greets from Germany

Cheerio

Max