Sloup by Dee_Dee - Corel - 1:25

Hey Dee Dee,

I agree with Eamon's earlier post, "that dang thing looks real".  

My mother taught me 2 things about hobbies: The first is to never keep track of the cost.  If you do it ruins the fun.  The second is never get in a hurry, if you do it quickly turns into work.  For me ½ the fun is in figuring out how to do it.  Your pace only needs to please you.

She looks great.  I like seeing the wood grain as well, fine job.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Thanks D.  I'm on the hunt for some metal tubing as we speak, might have to hit Dublin for some or else go online (I need to pick up more soldering/brazing kit too so perhaps a visit to Dublin is the better option that way I can ask advice on the soldering/brazing gear, I have some bits-n-bobs but not the right stuff to match your work)

Thanks Again D, the explanation & photos of what you did are the biz!

Eamonn

To be honest I think I'm just looking for an excuse to visit an actual Model Shop  :D  :D

PS Looks like I'll have to head to the Garbage Dump and retrieve my Ballahoo after your nice compliment..  ^_^  ^_^  :blush:  :blush:

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Wonderful looking Sloop Dee Dee,

beautiful work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Dee Dee, just started reading your log. Well done! Several techniques of yours will find their way into my "bag o' tricks". I'll continue to follow your build, too.

p.s. Your avatar looks like one of my resident mouse-banes, name of Socks.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Dee Dee, I also just read through your build log. Such impressive work. I so enjoyed watching the planking take shape. The painting is very evocative of the real craft. In a couple of photos I had to double check if I was looking at the model or the real deal!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Hello Dee_Dee,

I have been looking at your log as this model is next on my list. I intend building it at 1:12.5 (ish !) and have just had the keel and bulkhead plans enlarged. I have not bought the kit as I want to scratch build. Your experiences with the hull planking have me shaking with anticipation......or perhaps it is fear!

I look forward to seeing more of your excellent build.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Jack,

Thank you for stopping by.  I'm happy to see you back in your boat yard!  Your Mother is a wise woman.  I'm in no hurry to build, so I'll continue to build at my glacial pace.  God grant me patience and I wanted it 20 minutes ago........   :D 

Eamonn,

Your Ballahoo is lovely and should take pride of place!  Let me know what you found for the brass.  I updated my last post with a photo of the cleaned up P&G's and added link to EdT's Young America build log and how Ed made his P & G's.  

Nils,

Thanks for stopping by!  I enjoy reading your build logs and have learned a lot from them.     

Canute,

Thanks for stopping by and following my build!

My avatar is my cat "Tuxedo".  'Tux' has a white bib and stomach and four white spats.  He has a white moustache, one side is ala 'Clark Gable / Rhett Butler' and the other side is ala Groucho Marks.  Yep, Tuxedo is a romantic comedienne. 

Steve,

Thank you for stopping by!  This kit hull was supposed to be double planked, but I challenged myself to build it with only one layer of planking.  It was a challenge, but I took my time to make sure every plank was sized to fit.  I've been fortunate to find numerous photos online of the Shepherdess from Domremy to base my build on.  It's a lot of fun making all the changes and having a 'model' for my model. 

Mike,

Thanks for stopping by! 

YEAH!!!!  Another Sloup build!  I'm doing the happy dance!  At 1:12.5, you will have lots of room to add detail!  

The sharp turn in the hull is what made this hull a challenge to single plank.  If I were to redo the planking again, I would make two adjustments to my planking process:

Bevel both the top and bottom of all planks

Starting with the 4th or 5th plank, heat set the edge bending.  Here's a photo of the 17th port side plank after I did the edge bending.  This plank was a breeze to add.

post-206-0-80081700-1422752442_thumb.jpg

Mike, you'll do fine with the planking and I'm looking forward to following your Sloup build.

~~~~~~~

I'm continuing to work on all of the little fiddly parts, I have a list of 15 items to do before I can start working on the rigging.  Hopefully I can get these done in a couple / few weeks and start working on the rigging. 

Thank You to all who stopped by and the likes. 

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

• 2 weeks later...

The hull is finished and I'm doing the happy dance!  Well, almost done.....  The gloss coat above the water line still needs to be added, but most likely the paint will get a bit nicked / scuffed up while working on the rigging, so I'll wait.  In general, I like it!  Yes, it could be better, but that's OK, I learned a lot of skills that will carry forward to my next build.  

post-206-0-63815200-1435706219_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-77177700-1435705964_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-95963500-1423698553_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the bow stem and the cleat for the jib line. This cleat is a fixture on small and large coquilliers. Check out the photo in the October 20, 2014 post, (post #51) for more info about this cleat.  

post-206-0-12908700-1423698582_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-52265100-1423698616_thumb.jpg

Some of the paint has worn off of the stops on the bow thwart.  I want the finished model to look like a real working boat, so I think I'll leave it as is.  
post-206-0-04972900-1423698639_thumb.jpg

And finally, a couple of photo's of the rudder. When I put on the third / top set of P&G's, it's not aligned with the other two sets and is pulling the rudder up, as can be seen.  I'm definitely not happy with this and I need to rework these.  The tiller is not attached and will most likely be one of the last parts to be permanently added.

post-206-0-91363000-1423698693_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-50443400-1423698708_thumb.jpg

Up next is adding all the fiddly bits and bobs for the rigging.  The mast has already been turned from a square blank, but now I need to add all of the little bits to it.  The Corel instructions are less than logical, so I came up with my game plan. 

It's supposed to get chilly this weekend, so maybe I'll make some progress. 

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read my build log. 

Dee Dee

post-206-0-65708400-1423698543_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-19023200-1458775973_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-13130900-1462402280_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

She's coming along nicely.  I may have to add her to my list of "to be built".

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 4 weeks later...

Things are moving along here at Glacial Boat Works. 

I've learned a lot building this small humble work boat.   My method of planking is similar to how Chuck P is planking his Cutter Cheerfull.  Chuck P posted a 'tutorial' on planking which I highly suggest checking it out.  Also, read through all of the following questions, lots of good questions and answers there!  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8131-hm-cutter-cheerful-1806-148-scale-by-chuck/page-22#entry292745

New parts! 

I turned the mast from a square blank last October when it was still warm outside (this was really messy!)  But it had lots of fittings that needed to be made and added,  So I started at the bottom and worked my way up to the top! 

The blue prints are a bit vague on how the boom is connected to the mast.  Instead, I followed the online photos and made an iron yoke and painted it light blue. I'm holding off drilling the holes for lacing the main sail, these holes need to line up perfectly with the seams on the sail.

The gaff is close to print, but I omitted the pivoting block.  I really need a drill press to get all the parts to align. I could 'fake it', but it would look fake.

post-206-0-15301700-1425837935_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-99715300-1458963366_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-41075100-1458964389_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-78839500-1425837955_thumb.jpg

After investing this much time and effort, I wanted to rig using better quality rope and blocks and ordered replacement rope and blocks from Syren.  The rope is great, I mean super fabulous great.  However, based purely on economics, I need to seriously think about investing in a rope making machine, also a serving machine. 

post-206-0-44679300-1425837989_thumb.jpg

Check out the difference in the blocks, the kit blocks, ME blocks and Syren blocks.  Corel deadeyes are really nice and I will use those. 

post-206-0-29275600-1425838022_thumb.jpg

Next up is making the sails.  The kit sails, well, maybe they will make nice dust rags. (If anyone wants these, send me a pm.)  I need to make a run to Vogue Fabric store in Evanston, one of the finest fabric stores in the country.  I'll be looking for fabric for my sails.  Along with the fine threads and other notions needed to finish off the seams and edges.  

These will be my first sails.  I used to sew all of my own clothes, so I'm going to experiment with various techniques.  I have some very fine thread, 0.06mm / 0.0025" which will be interesting to try sewing with.   

I'm also going to experiment with making sails from tissue paper, similar to how Wefalck made sails for his Zuiderzee botter.  Wefalck's Zuiderzee botter build is one of my favorite builds.  Check out Wefalck's sails here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/68-zuiderzee-botter-by-wefalck-artitec-resin/page-2#entry47886

Maybe, just maybe I'll finish this model this month - or next month!

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read my update.

Dee Dee

Edited to add second, close up photo of Syren blocks

Edited to test photo upload compression.  Shakes head.........

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Hey there D.. great to see Glacial Boat Works back in operation !

All The Best From Procrastination Ship Builders..  formerly known as Snails Pace Boat Yards ltd.,

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Dee Dee,

She is looking good.  :D  The little bits are time consuming but really rewarding when you finish.

I saw Chuck give a demonstration of his rope making technique at the last NRG convention in St. Louis.  I thought "why is he giving us his secrets, he sells this stuff".  It was about half way through the demo that I figured out the psychology.  By that time I was certain that I never wanted to make rope myself.  The serving machine makes sense but, at least for me, the rope machine is not in the cards.  By the way, I used Syren Ship Model Company's rope on my Oseberg build and it is stunningly terrific.  Another reason for not making my own rope is that I do not think that I could equal the quality.

Great work, Dee Dee - almost done.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Absolutely beautiful, clean work as usual, Dee Dee. Thanks for sharing. I'm curious to see how you go about making your sails. The sails on the Corel kit I'm building right now would be equivalent to heavy velvet theater curtains doubled if they were scaled up to full size. I've also thought about using tissue paper or vellum.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Let us know what you decide on, Dee Dee. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. I decided to leave the sails off my current build since the learning curve is just too steep for me right now. I'm looking forward to finding out how you solve the scale problem.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Dee Dee, excellent discussion on fabric selection and sail making for this tyro. I'll have to get the Admiral's sewing machine repaired now. We have a Jo-Ann's Fabric locally, but Asheville is just up the road and may have a source similar to yours.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 10 months later...
  • The title was changed to Sloup by Dee_Dee - Corel - 1:25