HMS Victory by xavjar - DeAgostini (AL)

Hello,

Well I’ve decided to take the “plunge” and start a build log. As the title says, this is a part work series from DeAgostini. Although the collection started back in May 2010 I only made a start on the build last month!!!!!

This will be my second build the first being the HM Pickle that I completed back in 2011, I did attempt to build the Cutty Sark (AL) but the instructions were ridiculously hard to follow so that got shelved for now….

I’m doing things a little bit differently to the series I’ll be enhancing and replacing various things as I go along but the biggest difference is that I be adding some interior detail to the lower and middle gun decks as well as adding some lights here and there.

I’m not trying do a historically accurate build from any particular period from her service history I just want to build something that I can be proud off….

I'll get some photos up on my progress so far just as soon as I've figured out how to do it!!!!!!

Cheers Phil,

Current Build:

HMS Victory 1:84

YNWA

Cheers Phil,

Hi,

Ok so lets begin........

I'm using a basic angle bracket jig for the hull

post-168-0-83908400-1361665457_thumb.jpg

Here I've marked out the area on the lower gun deck that will be visable At each end I've blocked the rest of the deck off, I was originally going to expose the full length of the deck but if I did that then they’ll be no room to house the control board for the lights so it will only be part visible

post-168-0-66966000-1361665537_thumb.jpg

I’m having to do things a bit differently to what’s set out in the series, for a start I have to complete the construction of the lower hull before I can focus on the lower deck because I don’t want to run the risk of anything coming lose when the hull is upside down. Here the planking of the hull has begun

post-168-0-78284000-1361665629_thumb.jpg

BTW the other build that you can see in the back ground is the Sovereign of the Seas which is a more recent part work from DeAgostini that I started but have recently cancelled…..

Cheers Phil,

Edited by xavjar

Current Build:

YNWA

Cheers Phil,

Hi,

Whilst planking the hull I realised that I had made an error of judgment, I thought that the Lower gun deck to Orlop deck companion ladder went from bow to stern (is bow the correct term for a ship of this era?) in which case I was just going to simulate it. But as it turns out its orientation is starboard to port which means that it will be right in the line of view.

So I needed to cut this hatch out of the deck and build an enclosed area to simulate the Orlop deck. But first I had to figure out its position on the deck. I’m just simply using the plans in the magazine for the out lay of the decks and of course the measurements don’t match the actual build so to be safe I built a “mock up” of the upper gun deck and worked down.

I'd just like to credit a builder from another forum who pointed out a fault regarding the width of the gratings on the upper gun deck which are to wide and should be reduced by 5mm on each side, Out of respect for this forum I won’t name the forum that he resides on but I will note his name, Thanks Darron!!!!

post-168-0-13731500-1361666446.jpg

I made my first little alteration to the supplied materials, the grating supplied seems a little to large to me so I swapped it for a smaller size.

Supplied version on the right new version on the left

post-168-0-13156500-1361666611.jpg

Here the location of the hatch has been cut out of the lower gun deck and the false Orlop deck area has been installed, the interior of which won't be visible from the eventual viewing angle so I haven't included any interior detail.

post-168-0-96522800-1361666818.jpg

I installed a 2 x LED strip underneath, this photo shows the light being tested taken from what will roughly be the viewing angle. The photo isn’t all that great but you should get the general idea

post-168-0-07815900-1361667033.jpg

Well thats all for know, I've started to plank the hull again so I'll up date this log when I've gotten a bit further a head

Cheers Phil

Edited by xavjar

Current Build:

YNWA

Cheers Phil,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick up date, I continued with the planking of the lower hull until I reached about the half way stage (issue 36), I found the stern area a bit hard going at first but "got the hang of it" after a while. It will still need a light sanding down to get rid of the pencil marks but I'll do that later on

here's a couple of pics.....

post-168-0-06884900-1362657660.jpg

post-168-0-04845800-1362657689.jpg

post-168-0-60193700-1362657725.jpg

Edited by xavjar

Current Build:

YNWA

Cheers Phil,

At this point I had a change of heart, I was going to display the finished build on a cradle but instead I've opted for the "free standing" look. So whilst I was still able to do so I installed the bolts onto the false keel, which I'll use later to fasten the build onto it's base,

post-168-0-67607600-1362658278.jpg

post-168-0-43401900-1362658306.jpg

Well thats all for now, I'll up date again in a little while.

Thanks for dropping in, enjoy your builds,

Cheers Phil,

Edited by xavjar

Current Build:

YNWA

Cheers Phil,

Excellent build, and interesting to make comparisons with my own, I can follow your progress now :)

Neale

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

First of all thank you Anja for your well wishes (39 and getting old!!!)

Well what a year it's been for me and my family, back in April the house next door had a fire which spread into ours and well you can guess the rest, it's taken us since then to get back on our feet as the saying goes but finally all of the building work has now been completed and we can now put the whole episode behind us.........

Anyway I hope you have all been keeping well and I hope to get back to picking up my builds soon

All the best

Edited by xavjar

Current Build:

YNWA

Cheers Phil,

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Unfortunately I have lost all of the in progress photos since my last up date so I'll just offer a brief text version

Ok so I finished planking the lower hull and installed the keel and stem, I had obviously sanded to much of the false keel because when I came to install the stern post there was a significant gap between the strikes and the top edge of the post - but a little bit of filler sorted that out and a lesson was learnt for the future!!!!  

I laid the next couple of rows on the upper hull and then marked, lined and cut out the gun ports. On the starboard side I also cut out four viewing windows so the deck interior can be viewed at a later date.

I then installed the lower gunwale, I relied heavily on the various measurements that were generously given to me by fellow builders that have completed the same build to be able to position this wale as it's not really supposed to be installed until after the galley is in place. I know that no two builds are the same but it should be pretty close (well hopefully anyway!!)

The water line was marked on and using a tip that I picked up that long ago I can't remember where from,  I glued some 0.5 x 0.5 styrene strip along the waterline to act as a boarder and a guide for the tiles, which was then painted black.

I then painted a boarder of copper paint around the joint between the hull and the keel and then the process of copper plating began. I quickly ran out of tiles and it was whilst I was waiting for some more to arrive that the fire happened and I haven't done anything to her since.

So that's the build pretty well up to date then, here's a picture of how she looks at the moment,

post-168-0-71118000-1386250898_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

YNWA

Cheers Phil,