King of the Mississippi by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Finishing off a kit started by someone else - Restoration

Thanks Bindy, Geoff and John.

I can't pick the joins no matter how hard I look!

3rd straight panel from the bow :D .

There were three doors missing in the kit, so I had to replace them with wooden scratchbuilt ones. I used some 0.35mm stock from Hobbymill which came in my Masting Package for Vulture as the bases, and some leftover 1mm x 0.5mm English Boxwood that I'd used for window frames on the same :

Doors 001.jpg

Doors 002.jpg

Doors 003.jpg

I had to try and match the paint on the doors and windows that had already been painted by the original builder. Fortunately I had some acrylic dark brown that was a good match, and I made up the window panes from a couple of other colors. Remember that I'm trying to make it look like the original builder did all the work - I may have gone a bit TOO far :D :

Doors 004.jpg

Doors 005.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

As always Danny, masterful work!

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I have built my fair share of models that someone else started and I had to finish them. WOW, no disrespect to the previous builder, but you got some work ahead of you, This must have been his first model build attempt because that was some rough looking work there.

Thanks David, Scott and Mike (?).

I have built my fair share of models that someone else started and I had to finish them. WOW, no disrespect to the previous builder, but you got some work ahead of you, This must have been his first model build attempt because that was some rough looking work there.

This one is not too bad compared with a couple of others I've Restored/Completed for other people :D .

Yes, I believe it was his first attempt, which he'd either abandoned when the going started getting a bit tough, or passed away before he could get any further. I also have a "Norske Lowe" to complete from the same builder for his family - that one only needs some masting and most of the rigging to finish her. He hadn't done too bad a job on this model, and it should turn out reasonably well.

Getting back to the other ones I've done - check out the "HMS Victory" in "Builds for Others" in my Signature. THAT one started out rough, but it didn't compare to the one below of an unknown ship (I think the builder MAY have been attempting another Victory, but I could be wrong :D ) . Here are some pics BEFORE :

Before 001.jpg

Before 002.jpg

Before 005.jpg

Before 006.jpg

Gunports 002.jpg

And some pics of the finished article :

Finished 002.jpg

Finished 004.jpg

Finished 005.jpg

Check out the Anchors - this was a typical example of the "workmanship" on this tub ;) :

Anchors Before.jpg

And my rebuilt ones :

Anchors 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I've fitted the extra doors and the Railings around the forward part of the 4th deck :

4th Deck Rails 001.jpg

4th Deck Rails 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I've fitted the railings to the aft end of the 4th deck. The radius on these is the tightest of any of them, and was not an easy task to shape :

4th Deck Rails 003.jpg

4th Deck Rails 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks once again for dropping by John, David, Geoff and Mike.

I'd fitted the upper deck ladderway in the wrong place - the AL plan and elevation don't match :( . The ladderway would have been too steep to clear the window aft of it :

Stairway Redo 001.jpg

I decided to redo the upper landing to get it into the correct position. This involved removing the landing and a section of the edging of the 3rd deck :

Stairway Redo 002.jpg

I'm happier with the final position :

Stairway Redo 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I've made up the Helm Cabin.

The precut corner posts were missing from the kit, so I cut them from some leftover Walnut on the Byrnes Saw :

Helm Cabin 001.jpg

This sheet of die-cut ply was horrible - the die had only scratched the surface, and squashed some of the ply to boot. I cut all the pieces out properly with my scroll saw and did some repairs to the inside :

Helm Cabin 002.jpg

The walls of the cabin glued together :

Helm Cabin 003.jpg

Planking the sides came next - I trimmed off the overhangs and sanded the planks after the glue dried :

Helm Cabin 006.jpg

Helm Cabin 008.jpg

Window and door frames were made from 2mm x 0.6mm walnut. Acrylic window panes were fitted, and then the munions were made from 0.6mm square walnut :

Helm Cabin 010.jpg

Helm Cabin 011.jpg

The cabin in position on the top deck :

Helm Cabin 012.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The Upper Deck Railing is a solid plank between the posts which I made from some leftover Norfolk Pine. The Handrail is made from Cherry Ballart, and needed the fore and aft ends made from several sections :

Upper Deck Railing 002.jpg

Upper Deck Railing 003.jpg

Upper Deck Railing 004.jpg

Upper Deck Railing 005.jpg

Upper Deck Railing 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

All good Edwin :) .

Please excuse the poor pic quality - bad lighting.

I've made inroads into the 3rd deck railings. These once again needed custom built upper and lower wooden rails around the fore end. All posts have been fitted. The aft end gets a different treatment, as one of the brace poles are in each corner :

3rd Deck Railing 001.jpg

3rd Deck Railing 002.jpg

3rd Deck Railing 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Very nice work Danny,

also thanks for sharing all those Progress Pictures, ist a pleasure to see that oL´ K.o. Mississippi blooming again...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Great work Danny,  Are you going to be a card shark as well?  Keno or Poker winner takes all. :)

David B

Thanks again Nils, Geoff and David :) .

Are you going to be a card shark as well?  Keno or Poker winner takes all.

Actually David, my game's Euchre :D .

All the Railings have been finished and I've moved to the Stacks.

The fancy cast Tops were missing from the kit, so I've had to attempt to make my own. I used Castello Boxwood which I turned on the lathe :

Stack Tops 002.jpg

Cutting in the pointy tops proved a challenge. I used two V shaped cutters in the mill in conjunction with my new Rotary Table and Self-centering 4 Jaw Chuck :

Stack Tops 003.jpg

Stack Tops 004.jpg

Stack Tops 005.jpg

I've also rigged the Tensioning Lines :

Stack Rigging 002.jpg

and the Stacks have also been finished off. In the pics below I've just painted the stack lines with diluted PVA which hasn't dried yet :

Stack Rigging 004.jpg

Stack Rigging 005.jpg

Here's a pic overall. I only have the Gangways left to do to finish the model :

Stack Rigging 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Joe.

The Gangways are made from a whole lot of segments - one light, the next dark etc. I made a slight mistake when I prepared all the short pieces - I SHOULD have glued the 0.6mm walnut strip to the basswood one before cutting them to length. That would have made the job a little easier :) :

Gangways 001.jpg

Gangways 002.jpg

Gangways 003.jpg

I'll shape them tomorrow when the glue is dry.

Cheers, Danny

Nice work as always Danny. I love it when you show your tooling set-up as part of your "how I did this" - I find it really useful for understanding more about how to get the most out of the tools at our disposal.

Danny,

Great work!

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Thank you Grant and Scott.

Continuing on with the Gangways, I've sanded and shaped them. The undersides have a taper forward and aft, the tops are flat :

Gangways 004.jpg

There was no specific instruction on how to attach the inboard ends, so I came up with this idea. It allows the gangways to be both raised and swiveled :

Gangways 005.jpg

The gangways fully rigged :

Gangways 006.jpg

Gangways 007.jpg

Gangways 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The model is now finished :) . My original estimate of 3 weeks to complete the model has blown out to 2 months, but I had a few distractions along the way (like building a new workshop) and my OCD dictated that I HAD to go a bit beyond the Call of Duty :D . Here are a few pics :

Finished 001.jpg

Finished 003.jpg

Finished 004.jpg

Some observations about this kit.

I made the same(?) Artesania Latina kit about 30 years ago, I remember it as being challenging for a virtual beginner as it was my 2nd wooden kit, but it turned out quite well and I still have it.

This particular kit was released some time after mine, and in my opinion is verging on a piece of JUNK. The instructions were about the same - barely adequate for a beginner - and the plans don't match in measurements from the plan, elevation and fore and aft views :angry: .

My main beef is with the materials supplied. My older version had very good timber - accurately dimensioned, more than enough material supplied to allow for mistakes, good quality castings, timber railngs and reasonable rigging thread. This kit contained NONE of the above :angry: .

The timber was of very poor quality, there wasn't even enough to do the job ONCE in most cases and the dimensioning was a joke. The castings crumbled as soon as I touched them :angry: - I had to scratchbuild replacements for virtually ALL of them. The railings were diecut brass instead of timber. The rigging thread was garbage and I replaced it with aftermarket thread.

Although this kit was also Made in Spain (not Asia) it must have been released after AL went on their big cost-cutting exercise - it was almost as bad as their more recent offerings  :angry: .

However, it didn't turn out too bad and I'm sure the owner will be happy with it.

NOW - back to "Vulture" :D .

Cheers, Danny

Great job Danny. I'm sure the owner will be delighted - you are a very kind soul.

Now, get back to work on Vulture! :)

beautiful work Danny,

it Looks wonderful after you laid your helpful Hands on it..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50