Here is a few of the models that I have built over the years

I have built Two Constitutions the first was the Mamoli kit and the other was the Model Shipways kit

I have built a number of the Constructo kits including: Mayflower, Bounty, Pandora, San Mateo & King of the Mississippi paddle wheeler and the Cutty Sark.

I also built the America which was a Leclur kit and the Bluenose which was another Model Shipways kit.

I have built the Mamoli L'Orenoque

These are a few others. 

post-13395-0-14887800-1400939591_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-14915300-1400939605_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-60868000-1400939617_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-31041500-1400939652_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-63242200-1400939671_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-48318200-1400939691_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-04038600-1400939722_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-69051300-1400939755_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-75294100-1400939789_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-66838900-1400939800_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-71695800-1400939813_thumb.jpg

Thank you for sharing. I have built the King of the Mississippi as well. They look well done! Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 5 years later...

Hello, 

I 'm building the san mateo ship that i bought many years ago and it's my first big ship... It is really hard to find people who built it, it seems to be a quite rare model.

I saw you did it so well !!! congrats! I was hoping that maybe you would be able to help with some points...

I don't find the plan N 10 in my kit. Do you still have it ? 

And do you have any advice to sand the hull properly ?

Thank you very much for your answer !

On 4/10/2020 at 6:58 AM, Phil1308 said:

Hello, 

I 'm building the san mateo ship that i bought many years ago and it's my first big ship... It is really hard to find people who built it, it seems to be a quite rare model.

I saw you did it so well !!! congrats! I was hoping that maybe you would be able to help with some points...

I don't find the plan N 10 in my kit. Do you still have it ? 

And do you have any advice to sand the hull properly ?

Thank you very much for your answer !

I sent you a personal message.

You have built a treasure trove of beautiful models, Mike! How would you compare the quality of Mamoli vs the Model Shipways Constitution kits since you have built both?

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

There is really no comparison in my opinion. Model Shipways is one of the best if not the best Constitution kit on the market. Mamoli Constitution makes into a nice model if you are building for yourself. But if building for a client, the Model Shipways Constitution is the only way to go. The Mamoli Constitution I built for myself, receiving some wood from a refit of the actual ship, which I used to carve out some pieces of the model and incorporated the wood into the model. I later sold the Mamoli Constitution to a Computer Software comp. in New Jersey. Now the Model Shipways Constitution I also used some of the left over wood from the refit, but this was a commission job and went to an Insurance Corp in CT.

I have built around 60+ kits over the years and have never found a bad kit or subpar kit. I always go into a build of a kit with the realization that a kit is only a starting point and to make a kit exceptional is totally up to the builder.

Edited by mtdoramike

IMHO, there's actually only two excellent kits for the Constitution.  Bluejacket and Model Shipways.   Each is for a different period.  The Bluejacket more for the early years and Model Shipways for the 1937 (I think) rebuild.  There's differences in the kits but both are excellent models.

I recall when Ben Langford (if I'm remembering rightly from the USNET group) he was having some difficulty getting all the info he felt needed for the early version. I don't recall the problems or the all the reasons.   Too many miles ago.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

I just purchased the Mamoli 1:93 version of the Constitution. Historical accuracy is not as important to me as a fine looking ship when I’m done but... I wonder if you could suggest some improvements or modifications as I build her that might improve the accuracy of the model. I’m sure there are many but some that might stand out or fix glaring errors would be appreciated. I’m not afraid of manufacturing my own parts if necessary.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

Unfortunately, I built that particular model over 20 years ago. But a couple of things I would suggest is to built your own stern windows and ditch the wood chips used to simulate copper plating and use copper foil tape instead. Also, If I remember correctly, I changed the depth of the cannon, even the dummies because I felt they protruded out to far from the sides of the hull. I did this on both the Mamoli and Model Shipways versions if memory serves.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. It'll be a few months before i start this one. I have two projects to complete before I tackle this.

Barry

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute