Kate Cory by jablackwell - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Spent this last week on the try works. I was really stuck on the brick facing. I figured I could just use some HO or N scale brick wall, but nope - wrong look and feel. Wrong scale. I decided to make bricks with 1/32" square pieces. Slow going, but a really nice turn out.   Here's the construction series below,

~john

post-9749-0-73455100-1424538510_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-57485800-1424538511_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-46187600-1424538512_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-58699500-1424538528_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-71025500-1424538529_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-24745400-1424538530_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-77241500-1424538530_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-31447500-1424538531_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-86814200-1424538531_thumb.jpg

Absolutely love it.  Isn't simulating masonry with wood fun ????

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nicely done on the tryworks.

I really wish MS would re-release the Kate Cory in POB like I thought they were going to do...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Joe,

I went to the model shipways website and there is no mention of the Kate Cory but when you google it, the following link pops up:

www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS2031

which when clicked on indicates that it will be available in 15 to 30 days. This kit has always been so popular you'd think that it would be in continuous production and listed with the other solid hull kits on the website.

Wayne

Current Projects:

Kate Cory - Model Shipways - 1:64

Thanks everybody. The try works was a lot of fun to build. Slow going, but lovely turnout.  

Joe - the Kate Cory that they are about to release (again) is a solid hull version again and not POB yet. Some day!  It would be a really excellent model for that. 

I am now finishing up the deck details. Not too much longer before I head into masts, yards, and rigging. Still to complete first (there is light at the tunnel's end ;-)  

- Chain links

- Cooling tank

- Try works knees

- Chicken coop / work bench details

- Fore sheave holes (I keep forgetting to do those!)

- Pump assembly (might wait until the mast is done)

I also have to really start thinking about the whale boats. They're going to be a challenge. The kit provides lifts to glue up in layers. This then requires a lot of milling, sanding, etc to thin the walls out. I am worried that I'll just grind them away and make big holes ;-)  Not good. Any ideas on how to work this would be awesome.    In the meantime, I can get out there and research whale boats and get some internal detail thoughts flowing in my mind. 

~john

• 2 weeks later...

Now ten months into the build, and I can say that the hull details are complete for now.  I can begin work on the whaleboats, masts, spars, rigging.... oh my. So much more to do ;-)  I love it.   

post-9749-0-80870900-1425505631_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-49213800-1425505632_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-02768600-1425505633_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-58108600-1425505633_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-10226200-1425505634_thumb.jpg

That's not a try works ..... it's the centerpiece.  Lovely all around.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Now started work on the whaleboats...four smaller and fine-detailed models in their own right. This method is to use small wooden flats, called lifts, that build the boats from keel level up. They then get carved and sanded out in the following order: Bow, Stern, and sheer (all outside) first. Then the interior is brought to shape followed by completing the exterior outboard sides.  They get really thin.... 1/16" to 1/32" so no messing around with a Dremel for me (I have shaky hands with that thing). I'm going to carve closely, then hand sand or use a small electric mini sander to get into tight spaces. 

post-9749-0-46141700-1426192748_thumb.jpgpost-9749-0-38892000-1426192749_thumb.jpgpost-9749-0-01076000-1426192750_thumb.jpgpost-9749-0-58027100-1426192750_thumb.jpgpost-9749-0-11494800-1426192751_thumb.jpgpost-9749-0-67573000-1426192751_thumb.jpgpost-9749-0-20821600-1426192752_thumb.jpgpost-9749-0-80221700-1426192752_thumb.jpg

Building small boats from those lifts CAN be done --- and you're using the right tools.  Just take your time.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie - thanks!  I'm planning a long time on these little guys.  I also thought, hmmmm.... maybe this is an opportunity to build a larger scale whaleboat as to learn all the details... then... that, would, be, what? six builds at once ;-)  I need a bigger work area!  

Any advice on roughing out the interior?  Carving seems quite unwieldy in that cramped space. A #11 blade is out. Suggested blades or tools?

Thanks,

~john

Last time I did one of these (Syren) I hollowed out the inside strictly by hand with sandpaper.  I found it useful to just work for 15 minutes or so, then go do something else.  Like yourself, I considered using a Dremel but knew I'd be too aggressive.  You have 4 to make!

Since then, I picked up a little 'pencil sander'.  Mine is from Micro Mark but I know Proxxon also makes one.  It's been a real time saver but, I have to admit, I haven't yet tried it on a lift-constructed ship's boat.  You might want to check with John (Texxn5) who has 7 boats to make for his CW Morgan.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks, Augie. I happen to have one of those little sanders. I think I'll give that a whirl and see how it goes. Using a blade is too much for the task, I believe. The sander has a narrow cylinder attachment, that, with some rough grit, will get it. There is certainly more to do on the model - so when things get boring ;-)  

~john

Aha ---- so you have one as well.  I'm thinking that little cylinder could be the ticket.  I'm sure, no matter what technique you use, they will all stand proud.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

A club member had a couple of these boats and he used a Dremel on inside. A little at a time then used sanding sticks to finish.

David B

Hi David - thanks: I have thought about the Dremel, but am thinking it might be a little too much for this... well, at least when I get to the 1/16" thickness of the planks of the little things. Removing the interior wood near the center of the boats has been easy. Getting into the narrower portions by the bow and stern has been the real challenge. Sanding sticks, eh? I'll check that out for sure.  Augie and I were thinking also the little cylidrical tool on the micro-vibrating sander. That's one thing this hobby is really good for: getting new and specialized tools  :D    I'll check in a few days to let y'all know the progress. 

~john

• 2 weeks later...

One whaleboat nearing completion (3 to go). It's amazing just how much detail one can pack into s small thing like this. I am looking forward to learning more each day.  The figures are to-scale.   

~john

post-9749-0-40887200-1427059844_thumb.jpg

Well done, John.  MORE  then worth the effort expended!  My smile for the day!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Two whaleboats completed and two to go. Finished them off with a colorful paint scheme for one (an active, in-use boat) and a dull grey and tallow for the stand-by, extra boat. Also got the tail feathers shaped and installed. I had some searching to do to figure out just how far forward the tail feathers' cantilever should go, but some plans from New Bedford got that solved. 

post-9749-0-84945000-1427637046_thumb.jpg

post-9749-0-87661400-1427637088_thumb.jpg

Neat idea on the different color schemes.  Are you getting ready to give us a drum roll???

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

heheh<chuckles>.... here's a roll for you..... ratatatatatatataatatatatatatatatat..... I see you have noted the kit in the back of the basement there. I'm in a couple of bands, mostly classical and 60s rock. I also do jazz and some punk when feeling energetic. 

The color schemes: yes, that is interesting. All that I have read on the topic of whaleboats says that they each had their own unique color schemes for easy identification at long distances. Some were quite colorful apparently. The white/black/yellow schema is a modification of an existing boats colors at Mystic Seaport. Not many of the little craft exist (a dozen or so?) out of the tens of thousands that were made. Most were lost, scrapped, etc.  This all said, there are very few examples of in-use whaleboat with full paint. I suppose this is where artistic license comes in?   :rolleyes:

~john

I hadn't realized that about the color schemes.....but it certainly makes good sense.  I wonder if the Portuguese did something similar on their cod dories?  Thanks for posting that comment.  Amazing what you can learn here on MSW.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Whaleboats main structures completed. Now to work on details.  I think I'll get a move onto the masts, spars and such. I'll come back to the whaleboats later. Must change it up a little bit for sanity ;-)    Here's a shot of the current project. 

~john

post-9749-0-29236000-1428354703_thumb.jpg

A question all:  

The Kate Cory has a port-side fore whaleboat. As with all the whaleboats, there are two davits to hoist the boat up and out of the water or to lower it down. The stern davit for this whaleboat is inboard of the bulwark, like all the rest. The forward davit for this whaleboat is on the outside of the bulwark, actually in a location intermingled with the forward shrouds and between chainplates. I am ok with the location. What is not clear to me from the plans or instructions is the method by which this davit is attached to the outer hull of the ship. Ideas anyone? Images? I would imagine not only does it have to be attached firmly but also maybe to swivel? Maybe not? Maybe it's rigid? All help on this one greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~john

Have a look at Texxn5 s website.He has a section devoted to pictures of the actual C W Morgan. The second section of photos include some detail shots of the davits,lashing posts,and boat bearers. Ihave found these pictures to be very helpful in seeing just how some of these features actually were done.Iam working on davits for my Morgan project now,and am getting ready to work out their temporary attachment simutaneous with that of the deadeyes and chainplates. The davits and lashing posts on the Morgan are attached with brackets to the mainrail and planksheer. Ithink it would be a good idea to also pin each securely as well and just simulate the bracket to hide the pin.

Hi GMO2 and thanks for the reference to Texxn5's website and work on the Morgan. He's doing a splendid job on that for sure. The interesting thing is the difference between the Morgan and the Kate Cory: the davits on the Morgan appear to be integrated into the woodwork of the vessel's hull. On the KC the davits are free standing iron(?) tubular structures. When they are on the inside of the bulwark, they are mounted onto the deck and then braced with a metal strip onto the inside of the bulwark. The one davit on the outside of the bulwark is the one I have no plans for. No one seems to know how this was attached, and some models that have that region of the hull visible in photographs show it mounted INSIDE the bulwark... directly in conflict with the ship's plans. I might have to "wing it" as they say and create some form of structure to hold onto the davit from the bottom and maybe at another point from near the caprail.

To compare: here's an image of the KC's davits held in some scrap for painting and rigging:

post-9749-0-96313200-1428845214_thumb.jpg

It looks like I will also have to file off the cleats on this one davit, which then begs the other question: where are the lines belayed? ;-)  Ahhh the joys of these little mysteries. This is one reason why I love this hobby.

~john

I have an old set of KC drawings squirreled away. Let me go root them out and see what they show. Looking at those davits, I can see that they are more like modern davits than the ones on the Morgan. Why they had one outside the bulwarks is a mystery for sure.