Fair Rosamund 1832 by hamilton - FINISHED - from OcCre Dos Amigos - 1:53

Thanks a lot Bob! Soon I promise!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 month later...

Well it seems that my last post was in August and my last real update was back in July - 3 months ago!! Not good! I have plenty of excuses, but I won't bore you with them here.

The build has progressed, of course. My last update showed the bulwark strips installed. Since then I've planked the inboard bulwarks, added the waterways and bulwark stanchions, finished the first planking, installed the keel, stem & sternpost, installed and finished the wales, completed the second planking (spiling more or less every plank, which partially explains the long silence), installed the bulwark and bow pin racks, put on a few bulwark cleats, done the transom outboard and made the hatches (last night and the night before).

So now that the planking is done, I'm about to embark on another repetitive and tedious task - coppering the hull (following Meredith's lead). I have some left-over copper adhesive from my Kate Cory build long ago and this should be enough to do the job (I hope). I'll update again once I'm finished that, though I'm heading into a very busy time at work, so.....who knows when that will be! Enjoy the photos.

hamilton

post-304-0-78894200-1412520996_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-68598200-1412521008_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-77859500-1412521020_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-53842300-1412521036_thumb.jpg

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Coming along nicely.  I just looked at this kit for the first time last night, and spent a while on the internet reading her history, so nice timing updating your log!

Looking very good, Hamilton.  I love the clean and precise workmanship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark & Gunther!

Gunther - the finished model looks to be quite nice on the packaging, but I have to say that I'm not too impressed with the quality of this kit overall. The ply is particularly spongey and the wood stock is splintery and (some of it anyway) unattractive. I replaced all the thin stock supplied for both the second planking and the deck planking and completing the first planking with the kit-supplied 2mm thick wood strips was an exercise in saint-like patience. Of course, after all my blaspheming during the process I'm definitely no closer to sainthood....

I think if you are ready for some bashing this kit is a good one - but there are probably better ones out there in this same category (Baltimore Clipper). I wanted to build this one after heavily bashing  Corel's Greyhound into a semblance of HMS Blandford, and thought I could build it right out of the box.....NOT SO!! Anyway, if you do choose it, I'll be happy to try and help if you ever run into any problems. Thanks again for stopping by

hamilton

Looks great Hamilton - very precise and crisp and great lines.

I'm going to pick you up on one thing though...are those central gratings fixed down? If they are the aft one has the upper comb running fore/aft which is correct but the forward one has the upper comb running starboard/port which is incorrect. Correct or incorrect they should at least be the same. Probably teaching you to suck eggs but that is what we are here for :).

Edited by aliluke

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Never mind the calendar --- that's some amazing and beautiful progress.  Have fun with the coppering.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

By gum, you're right Alistair! I thought I could pass this error by, but I should know by now that there are far too many hawk-eyes on this forum! Unfortunately, this error is not to be corrected now.......they're fixed.....

hamilton

Never mind. Only us evil eyes will see. It all still looks, overall, very, very fine to me and when the other details are layered in, this subtly will disappear from the eye. I now feel bad for pointing it out.... :(

Edited by aliluke

Cheers

Alistair

Not at all Alistair - I'm glad you pointed it out so I can be more careful in the future! Cheers

hamilton

She's looking real sweet Hamilton and some good progress made.

Promise me that the next time we see her she wont be finished. ;)  ;)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I do promise Mobbsie! And I have been lurking around in your aggy log - very near completion now and looking great - as is your Essex, Bob, where I've been lurking too...

I've been so busy this last month that I've spent way too much time jealously watching others' builds progress and little time on my own or on contributing to this community.....sad! Hopefully there will be opportunity to change this....though if I keep saying yes to things and signing contracts, who knows?

hamilton

OK - a very brief update. I've started coppering the hull, using copper adhesive left over from the Kate Cory. Some of it had begun to tarnish and you'll see that in the photos. I want to try weathering it and I've been looking through other areas of MSW and started comparison shopping for techniques. I know I probably won't be using Alistair's! Though his results were great....I still have the port side to complete (and I'll definitely have to cannibalise my Syren copper tape in order to do this) so I have some time to consider finishing. I was looking at my Kate Cory the other day. I built it back in 2010 and the copper plating has aged very nicely in that time....

Question - if I put a coat of something on the plates to protect them I'm assuming this will slow or prevent the natural weathering process, right?

Anyway...enough. Here are a couple of photos for you. Bye for now

hamilton

post-304-0-55048900-1412833222_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-85714900-1412833233_thumb.jpg

Edited by hamilton

Very nicely done Hamilton. The copper on my Syren was finished with a coat of Floquil flat finish. This was several years ago and it has aged (darkened and mellowed) nicely, notwithstanding the finish.

Bob

Guest Tim I.

Hamilton,

I was able to find copper tape (like the brand supplied in the Model Shipways) kits for under $10 on Amazon.com. I purchased some for my Prince de Neufchatel build, as I wanted to use the build to practice coppering and it worked out well.

Hope it helps.

- Tim

Hi Hamilton

I'm bemused that no one seems to want to try my technique! Not only easy but effective.

Since I finished it I gave the copper at least 5 coats of Testors Dullcote and no further aging has occurred. I would guess that a sealing coat will slow aging as it will stop oxygen getting at the copper. But that is a guess.

Any way your coppering looks very fine.

Cheers

Alistair

• 3 weeks later...

Well I still haven't decided about the finishing on the coppered hull - I guess I'll have to make a decision soon, but for now I'll leave it as is.

I've had precious little time for working on the model these days.....a very busy time at work and continuing on now till Christmas. I worked pretty much all weekend to get one night off (tonight) to work on the Fair Rosamund. Managed to install the rudder after much frustration....also put on the bow fairleads, which to my eye seem grossly out of scale now that they're on......For some reason as I was testing them they didn't seem too bad, but now that I look at them I'm not so sure.....you can decide for yourselves. I may try to whittle them down a bit once the glue cures.....

Anyway, here are the photos - enjoy!

hamilton

post-304-0-82126400-1414387783_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-91497200-1414387793_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-97847100-1414387803_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-97234700-1414387813_thumb.jpg

Nice work, Hamilton.  It's good to hear you managed to get some ship time in.   As for the fairleads, yes they look large but a quick Google for images show them that big.  I'd say go with your feeling and trim them down.  Is there a line leading through them?  You might use that as your guide.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gut feeling mate, to my eye they do look a bit large but I have no experience with type of vessel.

One thing I do know is that you've made a lovely job of the coppering and the rudder is a very snug fit.

All in all she's looking great.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark and Mobbsie for the feedback....still uncertain about the fairleads - my plan is to leave them until I get a few more things done on deck and see how they look proportionately....after that, I may trim them.

In the meantime, a bit of progress to report. I've completed the head rails, the catheads & braces, the bowsprit stop, mooring bitts, etc.

The head rails were theoretically simple, but they came as laser cut plywood parts that were so thin and soft that it was very difficult (in fact impossible for me) to get them into the correct shape without really distorting them....In retrospect I should probably have scratch built these, though I'm not unhappy with the results. The rest has been pretty straightforward - I'm starting to really like this model as she comes together....it'll almost be a shame to give her away when I'm done.....oh well!

Enjoy the photos

hamilton

post-304-0-05328400-1415433882_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-41210000-1415433891_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-36645800-1415433903_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-07306200-1415433918_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-83552200-1415433936_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-20456900-1415434020_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-45059300-1415433959_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-28683900-1415433971_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-65548500-1415433985_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-90817200-1415433945_thumb.jpg

Headrails look great.  And the catheads are really nice.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking at those Fairleads from the deck looking forward they don't look at all out of place, I think your decision to wait until you have more deck furniture on board was right on the money, I don't think your going to be changing them any time soon Hamilton.

She's looking really sweeeeeet mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hello all - another update - continuing on the deck features....

I've completed the foremast bitts and the main fife rail. The foremast bitt knees are supplied by OcCre as metal parts - the first step was to replace these with scratch built ones - I used 2mm x 4mm lime left over from another kit. Using the metal parts to get rough dimensions, I built them up, altering the shape to make the sweep of the knees less abrupt.

post-304-0-72431900-1415546519_thumb.jpg

The OcCre pictorial instructions are a little misleading as to the foremast bitts. In the images that show its finished form, there are no additional features shown, but scanning ahead to the pictures of the rigging, it's clear that there are two cleats on the outboard sides of each knee - I added these at this point.

post-304-0-55470000-1415546533_thumb.jpg

I used the OcCre supplied laser cut crosspiece and made the pillars from 3mm x 3mm lime - golden oak stain used over all. Also added some nails to simulate bolts.

post-304-0-87703400-1415546551_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-43939600-1415546563_thumb.jpg

The fife rail was a bit disappointing....I had wanted to replace the OcCre supplied metal stanchions with wooden ones left over from my San Francisco build - their shape was identical (did these things not change in the time between the 16th and the 19th centuries?). Unfortunately the build calls for 3 stanchions and I only had two of the wooden ones and not much confidence that I could build one that looked as good as the ones I had thought to use....so in the end I used OcCre's metal ones - they stand out quite a bit.....but perhaps they'll blend in as the build goes on....

post-304-0-60817400-1415546581_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-97798200-1415546591_thumb.jpg

Anyway that's it - thanks for stopping by

hamilton

post-304-0-58986600-1415546610_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-70833400-1415546623_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-65667900-1415546642_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-80755200-1415546661_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-68788600-1415546716_thumb.jpg

Edited by hamilton

It looks absolutely superb Hamilton. Good on ya!

Cheers

Alistair

• 1 month later...

Hello there

I guess it's been another long delay in updating this log....over a month! But it's been a very busy time at work, as usual in the months of November and December. I've managed to carve out some time during the last weeks and made some progress on the Fair Rosamund. In fact, I've completed the deck fixtures, rigging elements on deck, rails and hull, and finished and rigged the bowsprit and jibboom - this is a large model!! But I find myself being more and more happy with it as it goes - I didn't have high hopes for it when I began, but she has really grown on me....

Anyway, here are some photos of the progress

1. The carronade

post-304-0-59739700-1418926931_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-58252700-1418926941_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-33070200-1418926951_thumb.jpg

2. The pump

post-304-0-51353700-1418926961_thumb.jpg

3. The tiller

post-304-0-97440700-1418926984_thumb.jpg

4. The anchors

post-304-0-49962200-1418926998_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-92240000-1418927011_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-86150800-1418927025_thumb.jpg

5. The cabin

post-304-0-61986600-1418927047_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-34467100-1418927066_thumb.jpg

6. Channels and chainplates

post-304-0-99250200-1418927080_thumb.jpg

7. The bowsprit, jibboom and standing rigging

post-304-0-81396000-1418927097_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-66084600-1418927113_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-16753700-1418927133_thumb.jpg

And one last shot of the port side profile

post-304-0-71013400-1418927161_thumb.jpg

That's pretty much it. I'm going to take a break from the build over the holidays (my labours in the kitchen are just beginning - first up: frosted lemon wreaths and mince pies with brandy butter). Bye for now and thanks all for visiting!

hamilton

I almost forgot! I also wanted to share an early Christmas present I received.......this one looks like an incredible challenge! And I probably won't be getting to it right away, but I've had my eye on this one for a while and am happy to add it to the stack!

hamilton

post-304-0-25397400-1418927618_thumb.jpg

Edited by hamilton

She's growing on all of us.  You've made a LOT of progress.  I'm liking it all.  But that carronade is really intriguing!

Have a great Holiday.  I can almost smell the aroma of that mince pie from here !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976