Fair Rosamund 1832 by hamilton - FINISHED - from OcCre Dos Amigos - 1:53

Nice progress that looks wonderful, Hamilton.  Keep telling us what's on the menu and I think there will a bunch of us outside your door on Christmas.  Have a great one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks all for the compliments! Christmas baking continues - salty chocolate toffee, chocolate ginger cookies, and blood orange shortbreads. 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I almost forgot! I also wanted to share an early Christmas present I received.......this one looks like an incredible challenge! And I probably won't be getting to it right away, but I've had my eye on this one for a while and am happy to add it to the stack!

hamilton

attachicon.gifflying fish.jpg

Somehow I missed this post.  WOW ---  I've always wanted to follow a build on this lady.  Be looking forward to it when the time comes.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie - you might have a bit of a wait for the Flying Fish - it looks really tough (from a cursory look through the plans/instructions) so I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet.....I want to do that beautiful ship some justice!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton, I really can't even look at Flying Fish without a tear in my eye. I had built it some years back and shipped it to my daughter about a year ago. It was smashed in transit. It's a really nice kit and I have no doubt that you will more than do it justice. I look forward to seeing it.

Bob

Hi Crackers and Bob

Crackers - I've seen that version of the flying fish and LOVE the sheathing on the hull - from what I understand, this tone (yellowish) is more accurate to how the hull would have looked - I would love to try to recreate this look (the other images of this build really show some amazing craftsmanship)!

Bob - what a tragedy!! My crappy Phantom build has been through the ringer in the last few years, and I feel bad enough about that - I can't imagine how the news must have made you feel!! Do you have any pictures of the finished model? Judging by your Essex, I can only imagine how beautiful she was - feel free to post an image here if you have one - I would love to see her....

hamilton

Thanks Hamilton. The only pictures I have were taken after the damage. They appear at p.9 of my Essex log. The damage was more extensive than the photos show and probably won't ever be repaired because I'm never in Chicago long enough, or with my tools, to get it done.

Bob

• 7 months later...

Well it's been almost 4 months since I finished the Fair Rosamund, but I obviously haven't put a stopper on the log.....it seems a little weird to be doing it so long after the fact, but I thought I would at least share some photos of the finished model. 

Overall, I enjoyed building this kit greatly, though I ended up spending some extra cash replacing most of the kit supplied wood (first and second planking and deck planking in particular). the laser cut pieces were very poor - well, the laser cutting was fine, but the quality of the wood was on the low end from my experience. Very soft and not very nice to work with. Many of the metal parts (the carronade stand and riding bitts, e.g.) I scratch built to much better effect, in my humble opinion, and I think providing wood stock for building these rather than supplying metal parts would have improved the kit. I also made some modifications on the cabin - not the overall design, but the finish and features. Finally, the plans, while for the most part decent, lacked precision in the rigging, and I had to do quite a bit of planning in advance to get things sorted out. I think if I had followed OcCre's rigging and belaying suggestions it would have ended up a tangly mess.

Despite these criticisms, I think I would recommend this kit to a modeller who had a few kits under their belt and wanted to have a go a something more or less straightforward but that also provided some challenges in terms of modifications to the kit - nowhere near what I had to do on Corel's Greyhound, but not exactly an out-of-the-box build, as I had initially thought it would be......It does build up into what I think is a very fine looking model. And quite large - over 3 feet from the tip of the bowsprit to the end of the boom and about 24 inches in height from the base of the keel to the top of the main mast.

Anyway, here's a photo and I'll put more up in the completed model gallery. Bye for now

hamilton

post-304-0-64219500-1440267087_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...