TexasJackTar

Phantom by TexasJackTar - Model Expo - Scale 1:96 First Build

I decided last year to give the hobby a try as I was always fascinated with the thought of building a wooden ship.  I built many plastic kits as a kid and have been a history buff my entire life.  I was lucky enough to find the community and continue to be in awe of the work I see.

I started the model but ran had to take a break due to whole life, family and job thing. When I came back,  I was bummed to see that my prior postings were lost, but I do understand it was the absolutely LAST thing the moderators could have imagined or wanted.

Thanks to all for putting the site back to together and I will start posting soon. 

Jack

Here are some pictures of the hull after shaping and sanding.  I had a problem with the stern, the bulwark cracked and broke off so I rebuilt with some scraps and wood putting.  I decided to do the starboard side first and learn from any mistakes before I did the port side.  I figured this makes sense as I will display with the port side showing.

Next pictures will be of coppering the hull.

Jackpost-1163-0-00968200-1361733071_thumb.jpg

post-1163-0-00302700-1361733111_thumb.jpg

post-1163-0-37903300-1361733154_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to see you are continuing with your Phantom's build log, it'll be a big aid to those that follow you.

Great looking hull there. Shaping a solid hull is a lot harder than it looks and yours is very smooth!  

Are you doing the Build For Free program through Model Shipways?

I am mid way re-uploading my Phantom build, should be done tomorrow. 

cheers!

Steve-

Thanks, We used to have a bunch of Phantoms. Hopefully someone will be able to learn from my errors. 

Craig-

No i am not doing the build for free program.  I thought about it but didn't want to set a deadline for myself.  As it is i don't get much time during the week and only a little time on the weekends.  Kids, wife, job and life continue to intrude on me time.

thanks for looking in at my build.

Here are some pictures of the hull being coppered.  While the Phantom is listed as a beginner kit, I'm not sure if i would agree.  The scale at 1:96 is awfully small for a noob to work with.  Thank Neptune for Chuck's practicum.

post-1163-0-94823700-1362346950.jpg

post-1163-0-28626800-1362346993_thumb.jpg

post-1163-0-47883500-1362347029.jpg

It is a beginner model only in the simplicity of the details and rigging. The instructions that come with the kit are not suitable for the first time builder.

Lost, without Chuck we would be.

Jack,

Think you are right about the Phantom not being a beginner's kit simply befcause it so small at 1:96. You will learn a lot from the kit.  It is worth while to do. Builds into a good looking model too!  Congrats on finishing coppering the bottom, nicely done. Confess I dread the coppering part.

Agree with SteveM.  Chuck's practicum is most helpful and necessary.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted  to the Gallery

Current: Sultana (MSW)

Current: Phantom (MSW)

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Edited by hopeful

There was an accident in the Shipyard.  Evidently my 80 pound lap dog was attracted to the copper or she was unimpressed with my efforts.  But I will have to start over.  I have recently received the replacement hull from the people at Model Expo and will start posting again.  To be honest I may not copper it this time based on the time it took and how it looked. 

Jack

Ouch...hope you have a largish lap! 

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but good luck on the re-do!