Niagara by patrickmil - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th

Now I can congratulate you Patrick !

What a beautiful model !!!!

Great job and well done !!!!!

Give her a nice place in your house !

But I'll be missing one thing....the flag with ....Not abandon your model  :P  :P

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Nigel, Tim and Sjors... thanks so much for your kind comments. As I said earlier, comments like these from such talented modelers have really helped me along and mean a great deal to me. Thanks again for the ton of support.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

CONGRATULATIONS!  It's not everyday we see such a fine example of craftsmanship and dedication reach completion.  She's gorgeous -- including the flags and the base.

Save me a seat for the Connie :)  :) :)  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Congratulations Patrick on finishing.

That is one very nice clean sharp looking build.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Augie, thanks a million for the compliment. I will have a seat waiting for you when I start the Connie. AJ, thank you as well for the kind words. Niagara actually took me over 3 years to build. I started her before I became a member on the old website and have been dragging my feet for this long to get her completed. Slog, thank you as well for your compliment. Everybody's words are treasured.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Simply BEAUTIFUL!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Really nice build Patrick, congratulations!  Looking forward to your Constitution log.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Larry, thanks for that compliment. It's all the support that has helped to really make this fun.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Mike, thanks for your kind words. I'm going to be posting the beginning of my Connie log in a few minutes.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Ben, thanks a ton for the compliment. I'm glad I finally got her wrapped up.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thank you Sailor. Your compliment and time mean a lot to me. I'm hoping to do a better job on my Connie.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi AJ. When I crafted these I only soldered pieces together for the pieces on each end of each run. I soldered the tiny little U-shaped rail cradles to the end stanchions and a little pin to the bottom of them. I drilled corresponding holes into the caprails where they were being placed. For the remaining stanchions I measured on the stanchion railings where they were coming into contact with one another and cut a little hole into the bottom of the railings and the railings were then able to sit into place on top of the stanchions. For the look of the little U-shaped cradles with these inner stanchions I used black card paper to simulate them. It sounds a little flimsy but was actually pretty strong once all the glue dried. I hope this helps. I'm not the best at soldering so the end pieces were quite a challenge.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Scott, thanks for your kind word.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 1 month later...

Michael thanks for the kind words. She was a joy to build.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Guest Tim I.

Patrick, 

Do you have a good source where I can find the "Don't Give Up the Ship" and the American flag you used? My kit does not have either one.

Thank you,

Tim

Wow- I've missed a lot over the past few months!  She's GORGEOUS!!!!!  :)  Fantastic work my friend!!!  :) 

As always, every time I look at your ship it's inspiration for me to get my butt working on mine (again).  ;)

Great work- can't wait to see what you do next!!!

Tim, I printed these off a regular printer after doing a search on google. I have the images stored on my desktop and would be more than happy to message you with them as attachments. Rich, thanks a ton for the compliments. I've got the Constitution going now; slowly but surely.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, gone for a while and so much progress on so many logs - and here you went and finished her off. 

Finished off VERY NICELY!!   Love the pics and the finished product is absolutely fantastic.   Very Impressed!!!

Congratulations!!!

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam, I'd heard rumors that you were making comments on this site again.  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  Thanks for your compliments! It means a lot to me.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Patrick,

I'm starting to take a serious look at how to construct the masts on my Niagara and once again find myself referencing your beautiful build. If I had to pay you a nickel each time I looked, you could afford to live next to Bill Gates.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

• 5 years later...

My word, just as I think I've seen the best, I click on a link and BOOM there's another one! Sensational and inspirational!  So much to learn from you amazing shipwrights 😲

I wonder how these models look after a few years of sitting on a shelf? Care to tell Patrick? 🙂 

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

Tom,

I really appreciate your looking at this aged topic and your generous compliment! I don't cover my ships or encase them in glass. After several years though, things start to droop or look too taught depending on the weather and humidity. My poor Niagara has some slightly dropping stays at this time, I'm sad to say. One of these days I will take her down and rework her rigging. Unfortunately, in my current home, encasing her in glass just isn't an option since she would be taking on the aspect of a piece of furniture as opposed to being a shelf-sitter like my plastic airplanes and tanks.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne