Niagara by patrickmil - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th

Sjors and Robert, thanks for stopping by. I think I have tied my last clove hitch for some time... Phew, ratlines are done!!! Now I've got some back stays to rig and then it will be on to the tan lines. 

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Ahoy Patrick :D

It has been a while since you have posted a pic of her in all her glory. Are you saving this, teasing us till the very end. LOL

Beautiful work, thanks for posting. It must be a quite a feeling to be at this stage and have done such a great job. Congratz :)

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hey, congrats are you finishing your ratlines today as well!  We are now free men.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

JP, I will get some more pictures up tomorrow. I'd like to post one of the entire ship with only the standing rigging installed. Augie, I was going to be committed if I had to do any more ratlines. They never look like a big deal until you start tying that first one, and then it comes as close to monotonous as when you are driving across country and your kids won't stop asking you "Are we there yet?"  :huh:

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I hear ya.  But they do look cool when they're done!

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Veeeeeeeery nice Patrick, Rigging is looking 1st class.

Looking forward to more updates.

Mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Patrick,

Getting the ratlines done is a milestone, though it feels like a millstone when you're in the middle of them.. :)  I'm looking forward to see the full ship pictures.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gentlemen, thanks as always for looking in. The royal stays took a little longer than expected to get rigged. I also got some more reading material in the mail.

Here are some pictures of the whole Niagara minus running rigging. I still have a few items on my standing rigging list as well which include the footropes (that run between the shrouds on the main mast) and the catharpins for the main mast. I still also have to shape the boom and gaff and get them into place. I decided to hold off on these until I had completed the main mast and it's respective rigging. I understand that this will most likely make them a little tougher to get secured but remember when I was building my AL Bluenose 2 they kept getting in the way. I won't be including any sails for my rendition of the Niagara either. The plans for the running rigging will take a little studying to get things right without having the sails. 

Any thoughts or criticism is always welcome, so please don't hesitate to speak up.

post-122-0-30571400-1362242082_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-70904700-1362242124.jpg

post-122-0-46980900-1362242144_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-59101400-1362242157_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-37918300-1362242175.jpg

post-122-0-05403300-1362242184_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-76863500-1362242197_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Robert, thanks for looking in. Regrettably the topgallants are tilting back a bit much but not because of the backstays. The issue is because they were constructed this way (not on purpose though) and I never really noticed until too late. It's funny how you might never see these things when you are up close and personal with your ship, but as soon as you get everything secured and start taking photos they jump out at you. One day I might get the gumption to take things apart and redo them but until then, I will tell people (that aren't members on MSW) that it's supposed to be like that.  ;)

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Robert, I've been primarily using a mix of thin and medium CA. It'll be a pain to undo rigging with that glue but I can always use a knife and sandpaper for the wooden bits. I hadn't really considered using anything else until I came across MSW 1.0 some time ago and saw so many different suggestions. If I ever do a refit I'll most likely be ordering better blocks as well. I just chock it all up to learning with experience. My next build, the Constitution, will definitely be incorporating many of the different techniques and materials that I've since learned about.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

If it's any comfort, Patrick, I empathize with your situation.  You get so focused on what you're doing today that you can miss the big picture.  Or, even worse, you can see that as well and you're stuck.  I could list any number of things on my build that fall in that category.  It is definitely part of the learning experience.

I mentioned way back in MSW 1.0 that, when we build a really big deal, first class scale model airplane, many of us build a prototype to check things out.  Does everything fit, is the integrity there and does it fly?????  We don't worry about that here (ships have lousy aerodynamics).  Then we tweak the design and have a go at 'the real one'. 

It would be insane to build the same ship twice.  Or would it ............???  Different woods, different finishes.  Endless opportunities.  But most of us, including myself, aren't wired that way.

Back to reality.  Your Niagara looks great.  You've got a lot of work in her and she is impressive.  I don't believe there are any among us who can't look back on a model and think we couldn't improve it.  In fact, if I ever build the PERFECT model, I'll know it's time to quit and do something else.  Take pride in what you have created.  You deserve it.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks for the encouragement Augie. I suppose you're right with building the perfect model ship. The whole reason I switched to this branch of modeling was that building armor and airplanes was getting monotonous. With plastic kits like those there are only so many directions and methods you can try before it starts to get old. I don't think model ships are going to get tiring though.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Wow Patrick,

That looks awesome!

Really great pictures.

And the rigging looks perfect to me.

You really do a great job my friend.

Sjors

Sjors, thanks for looking in. One of these days I'm going to step up my game to one of the big Ship's of the Line like you are working on. I'd like to find a manufacturer that offers something that large in 1/64th scale though so I can try to keep ship size in perspective. I'm just not sure I'd have room in my home to display such a beast though.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick,

That's great news  :)

I think that you can find something on the Internet.

Let me know witch one it is and I will make a reservation for a seat.

I want to sit on the front row with a small table in front of me where I can put on my popcorn and beverage…..

Sjors

I'll supply the beverages. Hopefully you drink ales? My next build is going to be the Constitution by Model Shipways. Practically every other day I am opening the box lid and having a look at it. I just don't have the room to start another build while I got one going. The admiral would clap me in irons for sure!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I'll drink everything…….Sub lieutenant  :D

You have the kit all ready?

I know what you mean by space…..I'm glad that I have enough space.

I shall ask Anja to hide those irons for you.

Sjors

Ahoy Patrick

I agree with your statment regarding other kits. I also like the fact with shipbuilding it seems anything can be corrected. With plastics you can not just go out and shape another piece of wood. I found myself buying two or three kits which can be expensive.

I do like you fix though. Will have to remember that one  :P

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

PS

Congratz too; I would be very proud to display that build in my home and can only hope anything that comes from my shipyard looks half as nice.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

JP, thanks for the kind words. I still have a bit to go though, so there are plenty of chances for me to royally screw things up!  :D

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

That MS Constitution is 5/32 isn't it.  You're a lot like me as I think my next is the new MS Essex, also 5/32.  Oh well, bigger magnifier and smaller tweezers!

Perhaps, when we go to the hereafter, there will be a 1:48 Agamemnon waiting for us -----  and a house to hold it!!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie, I've always wanted to build a wood Connie and the 1/76th scale kit is the largest I know of at this time. One of these days when I have constructed my ultimate "man cave" I've got plans for a 1/48th scale Nimitz section, and a 1/48th scale Yorktown section. I've got some model airplanes that'd I'd like to display in their proper environments. I feel that's it's always a better viewing experience for everyone when you try to keep things in the same scale so they can get a perspective of actual size. I'd also like to eventually try my hands at a scratch build of the USS Ohio, 74 gun ship of the line. We'll see...

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hey, you've got 30 years more then I have to build them all :D  :D  :D .

Here's a photo of a 1:48 USS North Carolina, also a 74, to inspire you.

post-56-0-08059400-1362250462.jpg

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

When did you build that Augie

I missed the log "LOL"

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

Just a little something I cranked out in my spare time :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: (yeah, RIGHT)!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

JP, maybe Augie is hustling us!  B)

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Augie, Never

Did you not see the pic LOL

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett