Niagara by patrickmil - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th

Like taught guitar strings, I have some test pieces of nylon string here. The one on the farthest right has been soaked in thin CA (I don't have my hopes up for this one). The others have varying viscosity's of Emler's. Drying time....

post-122-0-91342300-1364476386_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Drying time is over! I'll be using Elmer's glue in a 50/50 ratio with water. I got realistic sag with the lines that were drenched in the mixture. Onward with rigging!

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Aha.  Now THIS is worth a shot!  Thanks for the experimental design!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sjors, as a matter of fact, I do like to listen to guitar while building AND brewing. The artists are usually Stevie Ray, Jimmy Page, Sweaty Teddy, and Keith Richards. What do you use for background noise while building?

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Most of the time Anja is talking………..

Just kidding!

We are playing a lot of music from the 60's. Country & Western, Rock ( Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbat) and guitar music from Gary Moore.

My favourite are Alan jackson and Elvis and one number is for me the top.

The Animals with The house of the rising sun!

When that one is going on the volume button goes on 30…..or more…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

either NCIS or  SUV.........both are crime dramas.   I'd play music,  but if I heard a cool song,  I'd want to pull out my bass and play along.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sjors, the Animals and Deep Purple have also made their way onto my Iphone. Popeye, the TV usually gets my attention too much for efficient modeling. Modern Marvels and Duck Dynasty are too interesting to be modeling while they're on. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Robert, thanks for looking in. The tan lines that are draping off the course yards are the clew lines and reef tackles. The instructions state to connect the ends when sails are not being used, so I opted for the draping appearance. 

Augie, my iPhone is my cell phone and iPod all rolled into one.

I was planning on getting some more work and updates posted, but I was growing frustrated and had to put the Niagara away for the night. I've always felt that building models is best done on a calm and peaceful mind.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Patrick,

Just catching up, splendid rigging work Sir, everything looks neat and clean, and that's a very nice looking cradle you have there too, keep  up the good work :)

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

• 1 month later...

Thanks for looking in Radman. I'm about ready to return to rigging her. I smashed one of my fingers in a window at home and haven't been in the rigging mood since. My finger is almost finished healing. Hopefully I'll have some updates soon

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

OUCH!  I can understand how that could put you off.  We'll be patient.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I was wondering where you were............Jeeze....hope your mending well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Guys--Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm about ready to dust her off and get back at it. My finger is better for the most part and rigging should commence soon.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 3 months later...

hey there Patrick..........I was looking in on Larry's build,  and saw you posted.   it's been awhile my friend :)   how are you doing?   are you back at the table?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, I've been looking on for bit and it has been a while since posting on this blog. While I was waiting on my hand to heal up I got to looking at the rigging plans and had noticed that I had much of it completely wrong.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: I tried to convince myself to just go forth with the rest of the rigging as it was but no matter much I tried to get back into the rigging I was struggling with it being wrong. We all know how once you spot a problem it keeps nagging at you and won't go away until you've scratched that itch. I had to put my Niagara up for a while so I didn't let my anger get the best of things. I am giving serious contemplation to redoing everything from the mast on up. I may make that a side project when I start on the Constitution this fall. I have been watching your great builds on MSW though and your work has been fantastic. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

rip it all out!   you won't be happy unless it's correct.  are the plans wrong?    yea,  stinks when that happens.........I'll look forward for the redo............soon,  I hope  ;)

thanks for looking in and you kind words  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The plans definitely aren't wrong. I was just rushing ahead with some of the rigging. For one, the lanyards for my deadeyes have always been a tad too long and it was a thorn in my side that I worked around. I have also grown dissatisfied with some of the other standing rigging (the list is long) and some of my yard placements. Once it gets cooler out and I am forced inside I will have some update on what I plan to do. Right now the weather is too nice to not be fishing or working on my lathe.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick,

It's good to hear from you. take your time and above all the Captain is the one who must be satisfied with the build. Maybe Burger King said it best :) :) :)

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Popeye and Larry, thanks again for looking in. I've always been an advocate of the advice "Don't model while you're angry".

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick- glad the hand is healing, and from the sound of it, it looks like you'll be needing both hands in the future.  ;)  But honestly, don't get discouraged- your ship IS gorgeous and an inspiration for all of us in the Niagara Club.  (And we newbies wouldn't have caught on to the "mistakes" either.)  

Yes, don't model while angry or while in a strong emotional state- it's like drunk driving in the modeling world, which isn't cool.  ;)

So relax, go easy on yourself (chalk this up to experience), go do some fishing or tend to other matters that'll help unwind the mind.  Then get back to the rigging once you're more focused and have a solid plan.  :)  

We have faith in you, and we're here if needed!!!!  :)

Thanks for the good word Rich. I like your analogy to drunk driving. I learned a long time ago that a mind that isn't calm isn't well suited to modeling.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Patrick......... so that's where you've been ... mending!! Sorry to hear about your mishap, you really can't do much in this hobby unless everything is working :P .... if you're  not real happy with your rigging, take your time and do it over, I think if you don't  it'll always bug you

What's the rush anyway, it's a hobby :D  :D ... glad you're starting to feel better.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Patrick,

Glad your fingers on the mend mate. I can imagine the air changed colour when you did it, still it's nearly behind you now.

I think the guys are right about starting over, you'll look at her and you just wont be happy.

Chin up mate, enjoy the weather and build later.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

HI Patrick,

Glad your finger is healing. 

I really hate discovering I have done something wrong like that, particularly if it is an error which will cause a cascade of compromises going forward.

Your Niagara looks really nice!

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)