Rigging

OK, Les, gotcha!

The pendants on the derrick topping lifts would be wire - so black or dark grey thread for them - the same for the guys pendants.  The remainder would be natural fibre rope, so off white to pale tan, depending on your preference.  The aerials would, of course, be bare copper wire. 

As for sizes, say 2 inch wire for the pendants and 2 1/2 inch rope for the topping lift and guy tackles.  For the halyard on the forestay, say 1 1/2 inches.  These are circumference, of course, and would translate into your scale as diameters as:-

1 1/2 inch - 0.18 millimetres

2 inch - 0.22 millimetres

2 1/2 inch - 0.28 millimetres

As you can see, not a lot of difference and the same size would probably suit all three sizes.  For the signal halyards, just use the very finest you can find as these would be under 1 inch at full size; and for the aerials the best stuff you could get would be the finest electrical winding wire.

John

Les here, thanks for the help. I have built plastic for 55 years and am now jumping into wooden ships.I can see how this could be an issue. I have checked my other kits and the rigging appears a little too large also.  I am disappointed that  Billings wouldn't point this out in their plans. This would go a long way to help people get the accuracy that is required for a good build. Once again thank you from the colonies in Canada. Cheers mate.

Hi Les calling back. I am new to this and am not up to the lingo of ships. On my St. Roch it has fore and aft masts. On the very top of both masts it has a beam athwart ships, then 2 lines connecting them. a line runs from both to a connection on the roof where I assume it would connect to a radio. Are these the lines that would be copper.  Below this is another single line but has 2 parrel beads separating the lines. There are lines running  through blocks and tied off to the railing and signal flags attached to them. Would  copper antenna lines stay bright copper or would they age to black quickly? Sorry for the long winded message. Thanx

Les,

You're correct that the double 'line' held apart by the 'beams' is the radio aerial.  Both the aerial and its connection running down to the deckhouse should be fine copper wire.  The thicker single line below the aerial is the triatic stay - no real use on that ship except to carry the signal halliards.

John

G day. Les calling back. I have a question regarding signal flags. On some pictures of ships and boats at anchor or coming into port some fly a multitude of signal flags. What would these flags say and what would the reasons be? What would be the proper etiquette for my St. Roch to display some signals? Thanx Les.

Les,

A ship may very well fly her 'numbers' - a four flag code hoist which gives her name; she may also fly a code flag indicating the part of the port to which she is headed; she may also be flying pilotage and quarantine flags.  Naval ships, of course, may be flying private signals to the base to which she is bound.

Your "St Roch" may well have flown no signal flags at all when entering harbour.

John

Most books on seamanship will have a section on code flags, but I don't know of a book that will give you a complete run down on signal flags other than the old "International Code of Signals", which is the 'official' code flag book.

John

You can look up copies of the International Code of Signals  (HO 102 or Pub. 102 as it is sometimes called) on the web.  But that is just the international code.  The Allied Signal Code is a classified document developed for use by the military.  The ship could fly signals from either.

I could tell you some of the signals from the code.....but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci