The NRG annual Conference in St Louis 2014.

37237358.jpg

2014 Nautical Research Guild conference

St. Louis - October 16, 17 and 18

See the website for Details - CLICK Here

A new Conference format is being offered in 2014 to help make this event more affordable.  The featured tour will be held on Thursday, and the Technical Sessions, which focus on model making topics, will be held on Friday.  These two events have been switched so that those wanting to attend only the two days of classroom discussions can do so without having to incur the cost of an additional room night.

At the NRG Charleston Members’ Meeting, a number of attendees suggested that round table sessions should somehow be included in the weekend schedule.  In the past, these talks were conducted on Sunday morning when most were leaving the conference.  The Friday schedule will have three guest speakers in the morning, and five round table sessions in the afternoon.  The General Sessions on Saturday will highlight topics that cover a wide range of nautical interests relating to research and history. 

The Conference Tour will feature a cruise aboard the Tom Sawyer, a 50-year old riverboat. The journey will take you from downtown St. Louis to Kimmswick, Missouri, a quant riverside town known for its historic homes, shopping, and antiques.  The narrated cruise will feature onboard bingo, card games, and riverstyle music.  Upon disembarking from the “Sawyer,” lunch will be served at the Blue Owl Restaurant and Bakery. There will also be ample time to shop and explore the town on foot.  A motor coach will be provided for transportation back to downtown St. Louis.

While visiting Kimmswick, guests must anticipate uneven walking terrain such as stairs and graveled pathways.  With that in mind, we cannot recommend this trip for those needing the assistance of a wheelchair, walker, or those with significant physical/heart conditions or limitations.

Friday Technical Sessions:

Pat Mathews – 3D Printing

Greg Grieco – Excavation of the Riverboat Heroine

David Antscherl – Building the Fireship Comet

Friday Round Table Discussions:

David Antscherl – Frieze Painting

Steve Wheeler - Electroplating

Chuck Passaro – Ropewalk Demo

Greg Herbert – Making Scale Moldings

John Vojtech – Unique Modeling Tools. 

Saturday General Sessions:

Jack Custer – Using images to take off the lines of steamboats

Dan Pariser – Comparing French & English ship building practices

Gary Lucy – Researching models and settings for paintings

Institute of Nautical Archeology – Speaker & subject to be determined

Banquet Guest Speaker

Christopher Gordon, President St. Louis Historical Museum

Topic: St Louis and The Lewis and Clark Expedition 

You can download the registration form from the NRG website page here.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to let folks know that the hotel rooms are starting to fill up now.  So dont wait to long to take advantage of the special room rate for the NRG.  AND...remember folks,  you are all associate members now and can take advantage of the NRG member conference discount when you register.  

I would love to see you guys in person and it will be a great time for sure.

Chuck

• 5 weeks later...

Just checking in as we get get closer to the conference.....There is still plenty of time time to sign up.   There will be plenty of vendors there (I will be one of them),  great speakers and a riverboat cruise.   Its always a great time.  So if you are considering going please sign up to meet us all there.  I am sure there will be quite a few folks from MSW there.   Its a fantastic opportunity to meet them in person.

I am also bringing my wife and son to the conference to help me work the vendor table while I do my workshop on ropemaking.  I am looking forward to it and hope to see you all there.  :)  :)  :)  :) 

Chuck

The time is running out for the special room rates for the conference.  The cut off date for the special room rate of $119 is 9-15-14 - after that it is full price.  I just got an update from the hotel and the rooms set aside for the NRG are filling up and any open rooms will be released to general sales on the 16th.  The hotel is currently sold out except for the rooms we have remaining in our block of rooms so anybody who delays might have to stay elsewhere or pay a lot more.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, so I'm going to be at the conference this year, but who all is going?

Any thoughts on the MSW contingent getting together on one of the evenings or something for a short get-together?

I'm looking forward to meeting all my fellow NRG members, but it might be nice to just touch base with ones I see here online for once, gather for a group photo, and to meet and pay homage to our hard-working mods and admins.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

There are some very interesting items on the agenda.Damned that Germany is to far away from St. Louis

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Clare:

Anybody checking in mention you are a MSW member and we will mark your name badge with MSW and we can recognize each other by the MSW.  There are no formal events for any evening except Saturday.  We traditionally get together in the bar after the Friday events to make arrangements for who to go with and where to go for dinner.  We can make a sign for the registration table area that the MSW members who desire can meet there or Thursday evening to have a drink or more.

Let us know at check in you are MSW too and we can see about an informal get together.  Next year we can make a set time and place.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

That sounds great Kurt. I really hope to meet some MSW people there and hope more MSW members will take advantage of this opportunity to meet and learn. I only wish there were a way for me to bring a model. Flying in, I don't see how to do it. Although having a vendor table, I suppose it would be easy enough to bring a small work in progress as a "sample". 

If anyone wants to meet up for a drink on Thursday evening, I'd certainly be up for that. 

Druxey, good point! Also, it didn't really occur to me that I'll probably know people more by their screen names than by their real names. It's like we all have our combat-pilot call signs.

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare:

When you see Gus Agustin at the NRG Conference ask to see his carry case for his small models that he brings along as carry-on.  Makes them from cardboard with a carry strap and drop down front so they can be seen by the TSA dudes.

Anybody who wishes to add their MSW identity onto their name badge can certainly do so - I will have markers for that purpose.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I will also attend and would like to hook up with as many MSW folks as possible.  I should be in early afternoon Thursday so evening in the bar will be great.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Kurt, I never really considered that I could bring a small model in carry on. At minimum, since I'll be in the vendor room anyway and it's probably good advertising, maybe I'll bring my HMS Alert card model in progress. I think it'll be pretty safe. 

Jack, Druxey, I will be setting up in the Vendor room in the afternoon (it's a working conference for me). I have to check and see exactly when I get in, but the Vendor room set up closes at 6pm. So, should we meet up after that for a drink like Kurt suggested and see about who's up for going to dinner? Maybe 6:30?

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I will look for you guys at 6:30 in the bar.  Are we talking lobby bar?  There is bound to be more than one.

My screen name and avatar are actual so I should be easy to spot.  See you then.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Have great time, one and all.  I raise a glass to you on Thursday night.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'll be at the registration desk Thursday evening.  See you all at the bar.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.