davec

Dave's Echo Cross Section

Thanks for the likes and the kind comments.  I’ve added the bitt pins.  They look a little out of alignment in the pictures.  I will check when I get home tonight – I think it is distortion from taking pictures with my cell phone.  They looked square when I installed them.  I got to use some really neat brass clamps that I got a few years ago at a club auction - they worked perfectly.

It is nice to be back at work.  I switched to copper nails so I can blacken in place (thanks Ed Tosti and his incredible Young America log), which now that I have gotten the hang of, works really well.  The sheaves on the sides of the bitts were turned separately.  The ones built into the bitts are simulated.  Finish has been applied to the half of the deck that isn’t getting planked.  I have holly planks ripped and ready for installation on the main deck next.  I will probably not treenail as I didn’t on the lower deck. 

I had some difficulty with the jeer bitt pin locations. The mast step and well widths were made to the plans and agreed with the primary sources, but this ended up with the jeer bit pins sitting on top of the side walls of the well.  Not sure if I have them in the right place and the original shipwrights built the well around the bottom of the bitt pin or didn’t continue the wall up this high, or if I did something wrong.  In any event, I notched  the sides of the bottoms of the bitt pins so I could move them a little laterally and make everything fit right.  It was too late to modify the well without tearing out a huge amount of work.  I’m also trying to work around the rebates I cut for the binding strakes.  I thought it was a good idea to show them off on a cross section, but didn’t know enough about them when I cut them.  They don’t quite run just outside the hatches. 

Both decisions reflect a new approach to the project – I saw my first date stamp for my log (which actually started even earlier, before MSW went down in 2013) and realized I am over five years into this.  I've decided to live with small mistakes already made and not do unnecessary major redo’s moving forward.  This was supposed to be a focused learning experience (which it absolutely has been) and not a 6 year odyssey.   I would really like to mark the move to the new house by completing this project and being able to start a new project in the new workshop.  I have learned a ton on this, and it is time for a new project, especially as I don’t think I will have the long pauses that punctuated this project on the next one.

Dave

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

Edited by davec

Dave, Nice job.  I ran into a similar issue with the pumps intersecting the walls of the well.  You seem to have made a reasonable adjustment (and maybe not the last).

Maury

The upper deck is planked. Cutting the planks around the pumps was interesting.  I wasn’t sure what supports the planks over the openings on either side of the mast step. I put some supports in even though I didn’t see them on any of the plans.  The planks are holly.  I will put some clear water-based polyurethane over them, which I used on the lower deck and didn’t change the whiteness of the wood significantly.

The treenails were my first experiment with bamboo.  Not sure what took me so long to try it.  I have been using the same type wood as the plank to minimize the contrast between the plank and treenail so it wouldn’t look too busy.  The bamboo is MUCH easier to draw through the drawplate. It seems to have a reasonable contrast with the background. I drew the bamboo down to the .018 hole (second smallest on the Byrnes drawplate) and used a .020 drill.  The other experiment was marking the locations on the model, then taking the planks off and drilling, treenailing, and sanding the planks prior to installing them on the model.  I was pretty happy with it – it was a lot easier than trying to navigate the drill near the bulwarks or bitt pins. 

I have a few more rows of planks on the bulwarks and outer hull.  I need to see how bamboo treenails will look on these planks.  It they look funny because they don’t match the pear, cherry, and boxwood treenails that I have already used, I will finish with the same.  If it isn’t too noticeable, I will finish with bamboo.  The next model will be treenailed with bamboo- just so much easier to work with. 

IMG_2782.JPG

aft cropped.jpg

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

When drawing bamboo down to 0.018" they are barely perceptible on the model, especially if you sand the plank before installing them on the model. On your next model, where you'll have thousands of them, make sure you bamboo stock is fairly uniform. I ran out while making my last model and the replacement bamboo was decidedly darker.

Planked the quarterdeck bulwark with ebony and pear and installed the scuppers.  No finish applied yet.  Scuppers are 2 and 2.5 mm copper refrigerating tubing.  I’m becoming a big fan of copper – so much less finicky to blacken than brass.  I started working on the decorative moldings and fenders.  Spent most of the weekend making a planksheer hance that fit right.  Still having a lot of trouble scraping the molding neatly around curves, particularly the tight curve on the hance. Looking for suggestions.

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG