Echo Cross Section by DaveC- Finished

Congratulations, Dave.   Life and all that does get in the way doesn't it?  Lovely model.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations on completing your cross section.  I am looking forward to seeing it entered in the IPMS Richmond show on February 29th.  It will definitely be an award winning model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Lovely work.  Count me in on the procrastinator's group.  My Echo is still waiting for me to finish her.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

1 hour ago, Ryland Craze said:

Congratulations on completing your cross section.  I am looking forward to seeing it entered in the IPMS Richmond show on February 29th.  It will definitely be an award winning model.

I would love to see pictures of this beaut there!

Many thanks everyone for all of the likes and very kind words.

• John – base is Chakte Coc – cut from one of the boards I got at the club auction last year.  Was really happy with how it looked sanded and finished.

• Druxey and Michael – I think the next build will be the NRG East Coast Oyster Sharpie.  I bought the plans when they came out.  It is a neat looking boat, and as a project, looks manageable in the time I have over the next year or two.  I like the connection to Mystic Seaport – went there often when I lived in Boston.  Long term, I want to build the rest of Echo (as in the whole ship), but that needs to wait until I have more than an hour or two each week to work on it.  Slow progress on the cross section or Sharpie is still visible as progress.  I worry I might get frustrated adding a part per week to a many thousand part project.  I haven't seen any finished Sharpies other than the prototype, so it should feel like I am working on a subject that hasn't been built by a lot of other people.

• Greg – wood palette is pure Harold Hahn.  Hard to improve on his choices.  Boxwood and Pear are really good to work with, and the Holly and Ebony are great contrast. I’m thinking that the Sharpie will be just boxwood.  I think for the simpler model, one uniform color with the rope and metal fittings as contrast will look better.   I think I have just enough left over.

• Toni and Michael – looking forward to seeing your cross sections.  Toni – wouldn’t call what you have done ‘procrastination’ – Atalanta is amazing, and the Swallow and half hull are great projects!

• Vince – just finished reading your “Purpose-built confederate blockade runner”- Congratulations on finishing it – huge project.

Anyways, hoping to do some shopping over the weekend for some of the things I need to get started on the Sharpie, and will start a build log once there is something other than a roll of plans to show.  As with Echo, expect slow progress, although I hope it goes more like the last 3 months than the preceding 3 years.

Edited by davec

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

NRG east coast sharpie would be a great next project.  I really like these smaller projects that you can actually accomplish something with limited time.  This year we have been decimated by the flu so those of us left are working way more than standard hours per month so it is nice to see some progress.