Endeavour J Class Yacht by LMDAVE - FINISHED - Amati - 1:80

Floyd, the boom, in my case was already a 7 mm triangle on each side, the top flat side doesn't taper, the sides and bottom do. The sides squeezed in to 3 mm, and the bottom came up to 4 mm. I drew angles lines where I wanted the taper and shaded the rest of the wood that need shave. I just used a flat file at a slight angle, and filed away.

JD, the first two planks start in the middle at the double bulkhead. The butt together at that area, so there is two pieces.

I have about 7 planks done on each side from the double bulkhead to the bow.  After taking the 450mm length and gluing it in place, I could cut off the remainder and use it lower on the hull, so just a little waste as I trim off the bow section.  I need to get my build log started and post some of my pics.  I am sure I could get some help from you folks.

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

Dave - Thanks for the ideas on the Boom. I have found that mine is a bit twisted. :angry: So I may have to create my own from new stock.

JD - I would love to see your build. Please do create a log.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

IF you count, at the stern, from the center to the edge, you have 7 planks, just like mine, they're the same size.

I haven't posted any updates in a while. Mainly just working on more deck stuff. It's getting pretty cluttered, and still have all the outer eyebolts to add. This pic mainly shows all of the wooden cleets that are scattered about the deck. I placed them as accurately as I could to the plans, and angled them as the plan shows. The cleets came as cast metal and were suggested to be painted brown to look wooden. I see some leave them as chrome, but I took the wood route. I like to try to my paint items look real like real wood, but couldn't really do much with these little suckers. So, they are just pretty much a solid flat brown.

409904890.jpg

The deck looks good. I have seen plans of the Ranger and it had this very cluttered looks about the deck. Yours looks about right to my eye.

Russ

Looking good Dave, She's coming together rather nicely.

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nice deck!

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Dave, how did you lay out where all the holes would go on the deck.  My plans have no measurements, so I would have to confirm that the drawing matches the model's scale and then trace everything out.  then transfer to the deck.

I always make a copy of my plans for many reasons. In this case I would just cut out the deck from my duplicate plans and lay it on the model. From there it is simple to transfer the locations of everything to the model.

Thanks guys, actually there are two separate full sheets with a fullscale 1:1 drawing of the deck with the placement of all the holes and equipment and numbers for rigging. I can make measurements from edge or other know things (mast hole, etc).

Moving along with the deck. There was an outer small wooden rail I probably should have installed earlier, so had to pop up a couple of cleats to get this down and start working on the out edge eyebolts and rigging blocks. I wanted special eyebolts for this with a flange , but the smallest I order was just a little too big for scale (see second pic) so I just used plain small eyebolts. I hate stropping the blocks, but got it down to making them pretty fast, it's much easy to install them with the eyebolt instead of trying to hook them in later to a closed eye.

409915332.jpg

409915331.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Looking very Sweet Dave, I cant wait to see her fully rigged . Beautiful work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I figured the ship's wheel will get it's own post. I painted the small cast wheel wood brown with brass tips. The only bad thing about zooming in this far is seeing the cracked wood filler on the deck, not that bad from normal view. But I may patch it up.

409917285.jpg

No, I didn't install sails yet, but I did make one from the preprinted cloth that came with the kit. It was bothering me so much how it would come out. I said and shown earlier how the reef lines were preprinted dark brown dashes on the cloth. I hate that they did that! So, I started seweing over them with the same color thread, but hard for my amateur sewing on a machine to stay completely on the line, plus look at the bottom half that I started, even if it was perfect, the dark brown makes this look like Yankees pinstripe uniforms. I wish the only thing the printed was the numbers/letters J/K4, because I like that. I even went as fas as to hem the edges and paste it on the wall so I could hold the boat up to it to get a good feel for how the sail would look.

Sorry, but the reef lines should be just an off white, not dark brown. So, I'm going to just get some new material and cut it and just hem it, that's how I see other models, I'll have to do without the boat number being on it. I see even the box of the kit doesn't use this.

You can't zoom in on here to see the detail of why I don't like it.

409922751.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

OK, I finished the rest of the sail threads, and , I dont know...I may kind of like it now. I did a much better job on the rest of the lines, I need to repair a few bottom ones and trim some more frayed brown thread, but I might keep this. Any Opinions?

409924464.jpg

This boat will be my first attempt at doing sails.  I have also been looking at Bob Hunt's practicums, so it may have some additional ideas for me.  Also, I started painting the blue on my hull today.  I will post the pics this weekend, but so far I like the way it is looking.

OK, since I'm focused on sails, I cut and hemmed the second sail, just need to add the reef lines, and do the 3rd one. Like I said before, I didn't like the lines at first, but not I think they are OK. So, moving forward with them

409930198.jpg

Doing good. Now I want to see that 1/2 oz. Spinnaker! you got a pole on the deck. Rig it! :D

Dave, I am working on the deck-house now and wondered if and how you put the acetate sheet for the windows inside the deck-house.  The instructions had me build, glue and paint the deck-house and then put in the fake windows.  I am not sure I can get my fingers inside. LOL

I always put the acetate sheets on behind the window holes before assembling, then I paint them black from behind to give them a smoke/tinted glass look. I just put the glue where the sheet overlaps the wood. I guess you could use tweezers and put them on from underneath.

Try the beeswax for picking up small parts.

Sails look good, they are tricky to get looking right.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Sorry you're having trouble JD.

Thanks Michael..yes, sails can be a pain.

OK, I think I'm finished the deck and almost ready for some rigging. Can't believe I can see the end of this build already.  Here, are deck pics with all the rigging blocks finished. One particular piece I just did that came out nice was the red/green light stand. It started out as just bright gold. I coated it with wood strips, painted lights red green, and a brown top.

409940574.jpg

409940573.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

It should be the same as one of the deck boards, I think I even left out the center strip in one of my deck lights, by accident, I jsut butted the two windows together but still looked fine. If you dont have you can always file/cut/sand another scrap piece down to size.

Starting out on some rigging. I rigged the shroud lines first. The problem I was having was color, should I use black or tan? Standing rigging is usually black, but I see a lot of the standing rigging on endeavour tan. I started black on the shrouds, then made the switch when I did the forward stay to tan. I will continue with tan. I hope the shrouds dont standout out as an outcast in the end being the on black rigging. I like it so far. Here are a few pics of the rigging starting.

409948654.jpg

409948653.jpg

409948652.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Dave - I believe the Standing Rigging was made with wire rope. So the color was either black or silver. We have to find a period picture and see if they were using turnbuckles.