HMS Diana 1794 by Ray - FINISHED - Caldercraft - A 38 gun Heavy Frigate

Hi Gary

You can find the book at amazon but it can be quite expensive, I obtained my copy on ebay and it is a 1st early edition the later one is the same plus a set of plans, with ebay it is a matter of waiting till one comes along and how much someone will pay plus where you are in the world.

I have tried to point out the good and bad parts of the kit as I have progressed, there are issues with some of the mast/ spar drawings /sizes as mentioned in previous posts, I have planked the gun deck as in the book not as per the kit but the kit planking is as most kits are. I covered the gun port problem and the mistake I made between the two where the entery steps are. Back to rigging the main deck guns, nearly all done.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Hi Ray

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a copy of the book from Amazon, it is second hand but apparently in pristine condition ( I hope so) the price was good $23.21 AUD but shipping to Australia was $27.80 AUD, still mustn't complain it least it was available.

I am following your build log with great interest, a very nice job it is too. I never knew they did deck planking in that manner, thought it was only used on the hull.

Out of curiosity, was your kit complete when you received it? I ordered mine from the local hobby shop and both my kit and that of another customer were missing some of the stripwood, it is being addressed by the hobby shop but I feel Caldercraft should do better than that.

Back to 18 holes of golf yet?

Gary

Hi Gary My kit did not have anything missing, my main gripe with the kit is the quality of some materials not as good as other kits I have built, but she still makes up to a very nice model, the deck planking is as in the book I would think all ships would be planked the same, kits just do not go in for quite that much detail.

I can walk 9 holes ok and play 18 if I have a ride in a buggy ( I did walk 18 two weeks ago but it was to much) I will try again in a week or so.

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Deck Fittings

At the same time as making up the main deck guns and rigging them I also started making some of the deck fittings, hatches, bits, ladders and the stove the photos below show the progress.

The first hatch

post-10-0-04776100-1375910947_thumb.jpg

The first hatch finished

post-10-0-76350600-1375910945_thumb.jpg

Hatches and ladders

post-10-0-64566800-1375911105_thumb.jpg

Hatches test fitted

post-10-0-67236600-1375911038_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-27210900-1375911040_thumb.jpg

Stove added

post-10-0-85923700-1375911161_thumb.jpg

The fittings and the guns

post-10-0-99364400-1375911160_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-06807800-1375911163_thumb.jpg

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Hi Ray,

Those deck fitting are a work of art my friend, very nicely done. Guns are looking great, good luck with the coils.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Half of the main deck guns are now fitted and the ones that can be seen are fully rigged, I used my normal method for making the rope coils, and lightly rubbed the completed gun on sand paper to give a slight flat on the bottom of the wheels to give a larger gluing area, then fix them with a generous amount of thick cyno, the last thing you want is to later  knock one loose when the top deck is on.

Guns being made up

post-10-0-47000000-1376178376_thumb.jpg

carriges, barrels and wheels

post-10-0-21807100-1376178375_thumb.jpg

Rigged ready to fit

post-10-0-64766600-1376178373_thumb.jpg

Being fitted

post-10-0-11154000-1376178529_thumb.jpg

Next stage

post-10-0-16444900-1376178530_thumb.jpg

Next stage

post-10-0-87115000-1376178527_thumb.jpg

Starting second side

post-10-0-67340600-1376178687_thumb.jpg

First side done

post-10-0-91115900-1376178753_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-18857500-1376178755_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-35262100-1376178756_thumb.jpg

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Nicely done Ray, the more I see of this ship the more I'm swinging to make her my next build.

Keep it up mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Guns fully mounted

All the guns have now been fitted and the ones that can be seen have been fully rigged. Next job to finish the gun deck fittings.

post-10-0-15627400-1376858882_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-21102500-1376858883_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-39363600-1376858896_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-42696500-1376858884_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-69725500-1376858885_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-40760400-1376858886_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-44180500-1376858888_thumb.jpg

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Hi Ray,

Diana is looking great. I'm keeping notes for my build of this ship, your build log is very detailed and highly informative.

My second hand copy of "Anatomy of the ship Diana" has arrived and is in perfect condition, it will be my bible along with your log during the build.

Thanks for your efforts

Gary

Splendid work on the deck fittings and guns, Ray, Diana is growing more and more beautiful with each added detail :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Deck fittings

Now that all the main deck guns are in place I finished of the rest of the gun deck fittings. The stove looks very good as do the capstan and pumps in some ways its a pity most of these items will be hidden, when the top deck goes on,all the fitting made up well, the only tricky bit is the pump handles which I made up and fitted as the other components were fitted to the deck,these and the other parts had brass pins glued into the bottom of them and a .7mm hole drilled into the deck to receive them,and finally they were fixed in place with cyno.

Looking down the deck

post-10-0-14872600-1377211394_thumb.jpg

Looking up the deck

post-10-0-63965600-1377211396_thumb.jpg

looking down on the deck

post-10-0-07158700-1377211599_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-84786600-1377211596_thumb.jpg

view up the deck

post-10-0-67001400-1377211608_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-07055200-1377211601_thumb.jpg

down on the deck

post-10-0-93175300-1377211593_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-84786600-1377211596_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-68198800-1377211590_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-62285500-1377211603_thumb.jpg

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Hi Ray,

Everything looks great. Shame to cover it up.  Is there a way to leave some of it exposed by installing deck clamps and beams and partially planking the gangway and quarter deck above?

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Looks sweet, Ray.  Very well done on the details.  Yes it's a pity they will be covered, but you and MSW will know what's there.    Keep up the great work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lovely work there Ray, there's a lot of work gone into that deck mate, very well done.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Thanks for all your comments guys, Diana now seems to rightly be on quite a few build lists .

I see were I am now as the end of a chapter, and the top decks the next one, and do far so good.

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Hi Andy   Rope coils

I tape down some masking tape sticky side up, and just start the coil with a small loop, holding the rope with my finger and wind it, around it, pushing it down to keep it sticking to the tape, it takes a bit of practice and sometimes two or three goes to get started, as getting it to stick to the tape is the trick, only use the tape once, when you are happy with the coils brush them with dilute pva and leave till dry then slice of the tape. Hope this helps I have added some photos.

post-10-0-89632300-1402248500_thumb.jpg

After pva treatment and dry

post-10-0-29323400-1402248484_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Hi Ray,

I've been quietly following your build. Couldn't help but noticing your rope coils. I do mine the same way.  Maybe I picked that trick up from your old Pegasus log (I can't outright remember, but if I did, a belated thanks!). One small difference, I used acrylic matte on mine as opposed to diluted PVA. Works just as well, but leaves the coils still somewhat flexible.

Looking forward to more progress.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Every aspect of this build is fantastic. I decided to not go as far as you with the decking on my Fly - didn't have the confidence, but your deck sure looks good. I too used that method for my rope coils on the AVS (posted on the old MSW) - it is nearly fool proof.

I'll keep up with your superb work!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi guys Andy you are right I used this method on Pegasus and these photos are from that log, its a bit tricky to get them started but once you have done a few you get the feel for it.

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Yes, thanks for the detail on the rope coiling. Tried rope coiling myself using a different method and just couldn't get it to work, so this is really useful!

Build looking fantastic and certainly picking up ideas and techniques for next build.

Diana possibly.....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Ray, how are you?

For what I have been reading you are doing much better since the operation. I am realy glad for you.

I got to say, you are flying through this build. I am impresed how mucho you have done in so little time

with such a large ship. I guess it is just like you said, the knee situation had an up side and you have truly

taken adentage of it. She is looking beautiful, clean, and very dataled. Once again you are makin your magic on this ship.

I just got back to work on my Pegasus after a 6 week pause, last monday I had removed the cast from my hand and have almost fully recovered

total range of motion. It was vey stiff. I am just glad I can go back to my built, it was a little frustrating working every day next to my ship

and not been able to do anything on it.

Ray you have a great week, take good care of your self and talk to you soon

Best regards

Polo

Hi Polo

Glad to here your hand has mended well and you can continue with your build thanks for your comments. Keep well.

Ray

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana