marsalv

Pandora by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:52

Perfekt. This is a very fine fabric. 
Are there two or three folds at the edges. If two, how do you make it that the edges don't get fuzzy. And the belts, are there any folds or are they only one layer ?

To Druxey - some sails will be partially furled - fore and main course, sprit sail and sprit topsail - from this reason I saved little bit time and made no water holes - they will not be visible.

To Ilhan Gokcay - there are only two folds at the edge. The edges are reinforced with diluted PVA ( 3 (water):1 (PVA) ratio). After drying is posiible tu cut the cloth without fraying.The belts are made from the same reinforced cloth - without folds.

Mike R - bolt rope is attached with glue for textile.

Now all the sails are attached to their yards.

P_852.jpg

P_853.jpg

P_854.jpg

P_855.jpg

Edited by marsalv

Thanks for the info Marsalv, much beautiful sails.
In the past I did use CA for the rigging. But now I only use PVA glue and this works well.
In my last model I made three folds at the edges with some fight. Next I will try the two folds.

I started to install yards and sails. I wanted to furl the spritsail course and spritsai topsail, but I was not satisfied with the result, so I changed my mind and decided to leave these sails without furling. From this reason I had to make additionally the water holes in the spritsail course (Druxey - you were right). It was somewhat complicated because the yard with sail has already been installed on the bowsprit.

P_856.jpg

P_857.jpg

P_858.jpg

P_860.jpg

P_861.jpg

P_862.jpg

P_859.jpg

P_863.jpg

Edited by marsalv

I have a question: leechrope could be different directions , right and left directions? And cringles...

Edited by aviaamator

9 hours ago, Dubz said:

No words. One of my favourite builds.

Dirk 

This for sure,......the work is a miniature marvel !!

Wow!  The work on those sails is off the scale nice.  I envy your craftsmanship.  Your Pandora is one of my favorite build logs to follow.  Simply awesome!

Thank you guys for so many nice responses:dancetl6:.

To aviaamator: I have found no informations about it, but there are many pictures in the Lees book (The masting and rigging of english ships of war), where can you see that direction of leech rope was the same on both sides of the sail.

I continue with the fore and main course. Only these two sails will be partially furled.

P_864.jpg

P_865.jpg

P_866.jpg

P_867.jpg

P_868.jpg

P_869.jpg

P_870.jpg

P_871.jpg

P_872.jpg

P_873.jpg

Edited by marsalv

Immaculately!! P.S. I understand Your answer about the sails, thank you! Still there is a question concerning the direction of a twist of a running rigging in what party it twist at production: to the right or to the left?

The running rigging should have right direction, but it is difficult to make right-handed rigging from the right-handed threads. I tried it, but the results was not acceptable. So I decided to make all rigging as left-handed.

Next part - cross jack yard and mizzen course installation.

P_874.jpg

P_875.jpg

P_876.jpg

P_877.jpg

P_878.jpg

P_879.jpg

Edited by marsalv

Nice to see the correct number of reef points per cloth!

If you need right hand line and only have right hand thread, you can unwind the thread and rewind it left handed before spinning right hand line from it.

Greetings marsalv!

I recently joined MSW and have been reading through build logs to try and learn as much as I can before I start my first build. I'm currently on page 6 of your build and might I say this looks like it is turning out to be a beautiful ship. I can't wait to get the experience it would take to reproduce anything close to the level of craftsmanship you are displaying.

Looking forward to catching up and following along!

On 6/2/2018 at 10:21 AM, marsalv said:

Hola Greg, no fue tan complicado, solo necesitó paciencia y tiempo :) .

La siguiente tarea: los obenques.

P_779.jpg

P_780.jpg

P_781.jpg

P_782.jpg

P_783.jpg

P_784.jpg

P_785.jpg

P_786.jpg

P_787.jpg

P_788.jpg

fantastic job.
One question: how do you finish the knots of the cabuyeria? With cyanoacrylate? no stain or color change is seen.
a greeting cabrapente

Ohhh man. I finally caught up with your entire log and this is all impressive. Excellent craftsmanship and very precise work!

If I could ask, how do you learn this kind of rigging? The Amati Drakkar kit I want to build does not have a fraction of this much rigging involved and the Pandora seems like a real challenge. Is rigging skill picked up overtime as your build more models and following provided instructions or are there additional resources for modelers to read up on to do all of this?

Thank you guys for all comments and likes. I am very happy because number of followers reached 100:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic.

To druxey: I have tried the metod of making ropes you describe, but the result was not good for me. If you unwind the thread and rewind it left handed before spinning resulting rope is not the same quality as the ropes without unwinding (my opinion). From this reason I decided to make the left handed ropes.

To cabrapente: I dont undestand the word " cabuyeria ", but all knots are fixed with diluted white PVA glue.

To Ryzuhr: Most information is taken form Anatomy of the ship PANDORA book. But this book does not include the all necessary information so I use the following books for addition:

James Lees - The masting and rigging of english ships of war

David Antscherl The fully framed model, rigging a sixth rate sloop of 1767-1780

Klaus Schrage - Rundhloelzer, Tauwerk und Segel.

So and now some new pictures - installation of topsails. 

P_884.jpg

P_880.jpg

P_883.jpg

P_881.jpg

P_882.jpg