Pandora by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:52

Please explain the bit you used to cut the tree nails Marsalv. Amazing!

And - what is the wood?

Beautiful deck by the way.

Enjoying your build very much.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thank you all for nice comments :) .

I used usual hypodermic needle with diameter 0,8 mm (21G). Needle is carefully ground to the tip - see pictures. As wood is used pear, a necessary condition is that the wood fibers would be parallel to the needle. Is it possible to make treenails with diameter 0,45 mm (needle 0,7 mm 22G). You can see the comparison between 0,55 and 0,45 treenails in the last picture.

post-382-0-08374400-1411382696_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-17398200-1411382697_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-63587800-1411382699_thumb.jpg

Marsalv I have not seen this done before. I am very impressed with the cleanliness of the treenails and of the resulting holes in the sacrifice block.

given the shape of your cutting edge and that there is no clearance for the cutting waste, I am also surprised that there is no discolouration or burning of the wood.

First question, are you cutting at high low or medium speed?

Second question, do you have to make short cuts and retrieve the drill a few times for each treenail? (raise and lower the cutting edge)

Third question, how do you extract the treenail from the needle? or is it still attached to the sacrifice block?

regards Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Michael,

I will try to answer your qustions (sorry for my bad english).

Proxxon drilling maschine has 3 spindle speeds and I use the medium speed. Each treenail is made only with one down/up movement of cutting needle. Sequence is following - down with needle, up with needle, movement wit XY table and again. It´s pretty fast. You must only watch, if you can see treenail in the wood block after drilling. If you see no treenail (black hole), needle is propably blocked with wood and you must clean it. It is also the answer to your third question - treenails MUST stay in wood block. After drilling cover the face side with holes with adhesive tape, carefully cut off the opposite side and then push and remove the treenails from the block. It is easy :) .

Thank you that makes sense.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marsalv,

NMBROOK just referred me to your build to see your treenailing technique. Wow, what an excellent idea! Repeatable and time saving with a perfect treenail, it doesn't get any better than that. You are a true artisan :).

I would like to see how you ground the hypodermic needle down, if your so incline :)

Sincere Regards,

Bill 

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

• 7 months later...

Thanks to all :) .

To amateur: I wanted to build a model in scale 1:48. But due to space limitation I chose  a compromise scale 1:52.

Now is the time to show the figurehead which made for me Doris (for those who do not know her work http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/854-royal-caroline-by-doris-card-1749-140/?hl=doris).I appreciate very much this assistance because my attempt would probably ended very pathetic.

post-382-0-42610200-1433061137_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-15256900-1433061138_thumb.jpg

The planking is A1. Your time and efforts are paying off. Love your bull's dog clamp idea. Will keep it in my bank for my next build!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Nicely done,.........one to follow for sure!!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),