Charles W Morgan by Gerald Spargo - Model Shipways

I feel as if I am looking at the actual ship.  I was aboard the Morgan at the end of April when she was docked at Mystic Seaport and several other times since 2010 during her restoration.  You have made an excellent reproduction of the actual ship.  I hope that I can achieve your level of craftsmanship.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for resurrecting your build log of the Charles W. Morgan. I remember poring over you original build log. A real masterpiece.

Wish you well with the rest of your model.

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks Russ, Ryland, and Peter.  

Some of the things I like to do, as far as weathering, and finishing, is go with some of the more obvious things. Like rust, there is always going to be rust,(iron, and water doesn't mix well). Nonperfect wood, these ships are old, so the wood is alittle softer, and more brittle than it was when the ship was first build, again...wood, and water doesn't mix well either. That's why I leave the small chips, and nicks in parts of my build, like the cathead in the last few pictures that I put up. That happened when I was putting the chain through the hole. I liked it, so I left it, and I'm glad I did. It helps to give it life. I think the wood should have rounded edges, rather than sharp ones. Plus when painting, I try to keep the wood grain showing. Moisture makes the grain in the wood swell, and since it spends its life in the water, it would just seem like a natural effect. Also you will notice that around the edges of structures, and other items on the deck are darker, simulating dirt.

Many of the things you can do to a model to help give it some life, are things you see everyday, but yet never take notice of.

Gerald Spargo    (aka Dragon65)

For a ship is the noblest of all men’s work--A cunning fabric of wood, iron, and hemp, Wonderfully propelled by wings of canvas, And seeming at times to have the very breath of life.

Current Build:

Charles W. Morgan - Model Shipways

Hi Gerald, thanks again for posting this log.  I have the Morgan on my shelf that I plan on building alongside the Unicorn.  I'm also thinking of weathering the ship, so your log is a real inspiration!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Guest Tim I.

Gerald,

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite build logs to follow. The authenticity that you take care to represent, really shines in your work and build.

- Tim

Glad to see this log being redone.

The Charles W. Morgan went on my to do list after seeing this build back on MSW1.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Well guys, I hope to see you working on your Morgans at some point, and I do hope to see more modelers building this kit.

Here are some pics of the foremast.

post-2322-0-59616900-1402965309_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-52427200-1402965328_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-55622200-1402965359_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-27513400-1402965379_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-71358100-1402965393_thumb.jpg

For a ship is the noblest of all men’s work--A cunning fabric of wood, iron, and hemp, Wonderfully propelled by wings of canvas, And seeming at times to have the very breath of life.

Current Build:

Here are some pictures of the rigging.

post-2322-0-69631700-1402966140_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-93469100-1402966153_thumb.jpg

I serve my rigging with 80wt thread.

post-2322-0-06346500-1402966209_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-19713700-1402966234_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

More pictures of some rigging.

post-2322-0-69989200-1402966586_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-25914400-1402966602_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-16581800-1402966618_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-41527200-1402966634_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

Tim, I want to say it is thinned down yellow ochre from Model Shipways, but I think it is more than just that. I have an old computer that I am going see if it will run long enough to get some info off of it tonight after work, it should have other info about the Morgan that I need to. I will get back to you on this.

Current Build:

Guest Tim I.

OK, thank you. It looks a lot like the color I need for my current Niagara project, and also has applicability for when I start my Morgan.

I appreciate is. As I mentioned above, I am really enjoying seeing your updates and your craftsmanship!

- Tim

Thank you John, and Elia. Tim, I found some stuff on that computer, but not the paint mixture, sorry. I did find the 2 bottles that I have mixed though.

I also found the info on how I built the skylight, windlass, and how I coppered the bottom, along with a weathering guide that I made.

Current Build:

Thank you Joe.

The Cutting Tackle.

The kit supplies blocks for the cutting tackle, but they look nothing like real ones on the ship. So I used the small reddish colored piece of wood from the kit (cherry I think), and made blocks for this. The hooks required some cleaning, and smoothing before I could use them. Once I had these made, I put the whole works in Black-in It, blocks, too. After the black-in it did its job, I used weathering powder to simulate the rust, and to get the weathered look on the blocks.

post-2322-0-97992900-1403092996_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-40040300-1403093004_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-00919700-1403092968_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-73474600-1403092937_thumb.jpg 

Current Build:

beautiful work Gerald,

you have a talent for authentic Details in model....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank Nils, and Tim, those were fun to make.

Here is the rigging of the cutting tackle.

post-2322-0-13767900-1403135410_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-80972900-1403135425_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-06223300-1403135461_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-79676200-1403135496_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-24714500-1403135513_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

A few more post, and I will be caught up to date.

Here some pictures of whaleboat #1. This is made from the supplied bread-n-butter boats. I found it was easier,(for me anyway) to build up the hull with these, then cut them in half length ways. Shape the inside with my dremel, and glue the halves back together again.

post-2322-0-74337600-1403139060_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-30753800-1403139068_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-76505700-1403139084_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-71510700-1403139096_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-62449200-1403139107_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

This is where I am at on my build. I am working on the ratlines, and lower shroud battens.

post-2322-0-03722000-1403140812_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-41389900-1403140829_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-23471900-1403140860_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

Lashing The Lower Shroud Battens

The Morgan had wooden battens instead of rope ratlines on the lower shrouds. Instructions will show that they are tied on with a diagonal lashing, they where actually tied on with a square lashing. The battens are spaced the same as regular rope ratlines are spaced. On this model that would be right around a 1/4'', so that is the spacing I use. This is how I found it easiest to tie the battens onto the shrouds without actually gluing them to the shrouds.

LETS GET STARTED: (Done in gray-scale for clarity.)

Material I am using is 2 strands of DMC dark brown embroidery floss (waxed), and 1/32''x 1/32'' basswood strips.

Step 1: To get the first batten in place, I measure up from the deadeye channel the same distance as on the plans. After this first measurement, I didn't find the plans to be of much help for spacing. The thickness of the battens are 1/32'', and all the plans show are single thickness lines. So after the first measurement from the deadeye channel, I space each succeeding batten a 1/4'' from the last one I did. At that measurement, I tie the end of a 6'' length of floss to each shroud, using a clove hitch knot.

Step 2: I dab a little diluted white glue to the knots.

Step 3 & 4: Cut off the small tails of the floss.

post-2322-0-50406100-1403141389_thumb.jpg

Step 5: I cut each batten at least 1 mm longer than the width of the shroud. A little longer wouldn't hurt, as it give you more room for lashing. I hold in place, right at the top of the knots, and wrap the floss around it. I start with a shroud in the middle so the batten won't twist away while lashing it.

Step 6: The first wrap pulls the batten, and shroud together.

Step 7: The second wrap tightens, and holds the first wrap.

Step 8: I finish off with a half hitch under the batten, pulling it tight.

post-2322-0-44509400-1403141415_thumb.jpg

Step 9: I now apply a dab of the diluted glue onto the half hitch knot under the batten, and just barely touching the batten with the glue as I do this to prevent the batten from sliding out of the lashings. Important thing, is not to get glue on the battens, that will show up later.

Step 10: Cut the remaining floss, and there is enough to do another batten.

Step 11: To put a finish on the battens, and floss, I applied a coat of Micro-Mark age-it easy brown, and 2 coats of Micro-Mark railroad tie and bridge stain. These worked well for me, as this is the same solutions I use to color my rigging. The battens could be finished before rigging them. I find it easier to do it afterwords.

post-2322-0-23560200-1403141435_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

Actually Tim, there will be 7 of these on the Morgan.

Current Build:

Thank you Tim. Now to get the dust off the Morgan, and get setup to continue on with it.

Current Build:

Guest Tim I.

Eagerly awaiting the updates. If I did not already have four projects in process I would consider starting my Morgan. I opened my kit when I bought it several months ago, and was very impressed with the detail. When Model Shipways had the large 1:24 scale whaleboat on special, I also purchased that for a future project. Looking forward to seeing more!

- Tim

Thanks John, definitely a model, I would have loved to have see the actual Morgan before its restoration.

Now as far as the real ship, here is something I tried to duplicate, but decided not to go ahead with. Could be a challenge to someone else to try though. In these pictures, you can see how the old rigging was parceled around the mast. I simulated this with masking tape, and a little bit of serving like it is in the picture. With a little weathering, it looked really cool. But, since masking tape tends to dry out really bad, and fall apart, I figured I probably shouldn't risk the potential fix later on. I couldn't find anything else that would work at this scale, so I abandoned the idea.

post-2322-0-09917700-1403358481_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-08022400-1403358494_thumb.jpg 

Current Build:

Guest Tim I.

Gerald,

The pictures you have from the Morgan. Would you be willing to share your source, or are these photographs you have taken?

Thank you,

Tim