Charles W Morgan by Gerald Spargo - Model Shipways

Hey, Don't stop now!! You've got me all worked up. I've always wanted to build this kit and now I've ordered one. I think your weathering is perfect. Maybe you could do a little tutorial on the process, like you did with the chain and tryworks. Do you have any particular research photos that you found to be especially helpful in your build so far?

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Oh don't worry Kurt, I've not stopped. Just ended up with a bunch of other stuff to do. I have a tutorial on weathering, but I need to redo it, cause I have found some better ways of doing some of the weathering, since I started.

Gerald Spargo    (aka Dragon65)

For a ship is the noblest of all men’s work--A cunning fabric of wood, iron, and hemp, Wonderfully propelled by wings of canvas, And seeming at times to have the very breath of life.

Current Build:

Charles W. Morgan - Model Shipways

Gerald, I finally received my Morgan kit! This project is probably gonna take as long as yours due to available time issues. I am a little disappointed, because the bulkheads are now plywood (a better grade than MSW was using for a while). Its 3 ply, of which the center ply makes up about 90 percent. That would mean the planking is really being glued to end grain, and I doubt thats a very good bond. I don't know whether to remake them in basswood, or to add basswood to the bulkhead to have a decent bonding surface. Since you're a woodworker any thoughts?

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 4 months later...

Gerald, I am building a Morgan~ off and on ~ and am working on deck structures.Ihave been observing your build for some years and find your effort to be the Gold Standard for Morgan builders where ever they may be. So far I have not found anything that will not yield to a little patience and a willingness to scrap a piece and have another go at it.That said, I find myself staring repeatedly at your skylight and wondering~~~How on this green earth ???am I ever going to do that. Perhaps you could give us a brief review of what you used in the way of wood and wire to make it. There is no way I can imagine getting basswood to sit still for that.~~~~~~ Gary

Hi Gerald, I'm just finishing my third ship the Greyhound. I haven't yet decided if my next build will be the Morgan or the Victory. I have both ships waiting to be built. If my next build is the Morgan I will certainly reference your superb work on this ship. The HMS Bounty by AL took me about two years to finish. I suspect at the rate of my builds the Victory might take longer than the Morgan. It will be a last minute decision when I'm ready. Anyway, beautiful work! Ron AKA Homer 

All I can say is ... WoW !!

Your Morgan is just amazing !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I have some small heat shrink tubing that might well simulate the parcelling around the masthead. Ithink some of it is white which could be dirtied up and then partially served with fine thread . Ithink I ll give that a try when I get go that stage.

• 2 years later...