Triton Cross Section 1:32 (Pete 38)

Still working on the treenail for the frames,,,only 2 more to go....

When I get one frame done and the treenails trimmed I have been getting ready to raise the frames on the build board.

Pictures are a better explanation:

I glue a tempory batten arcoss the top using the framing layout pdf to get the correct distance from side to side at the top

post-63-0-58636800-1364747018_thumb.jpg

I then mark the center of the temporary batten to match up to the center mark on my build board

post-63-0-67662300-1364747031_thumb.jpg

Also have been marking the center of the frames at the keel also as a way to double check

post-63-0-66391600-1364747025_thumb.jpg

Here is one temporary place to see how it is going to work out

post-63-0-68329000-1364747042_thumb.jpg

Once all the frames are raised and attached to the keel I plan on cutting some support from cherry to go between the frames while fairing the hull. I may leave them in since will be planking over where I place them.

Everyone have a Happy Easter

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Pete:

That jig is a very good idea. Excellent work. I also agree on the fillers for stiffening. I have used that on a cross section model and it worked well.

Russ

It's looking great Pete.

Very good idea on the frame jig. As I mentioned before, I didn't do that procedure and I am regretting that now. My frames are not aligned properly and I have been having to work around it. I sure wish I did it your way. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Looks very nice Pete,very clean and precise.  Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Pete,

the frames look good. Your building jig is simlar (but better) to the one I used. Chocks between the frames work well for strengthening the assembly during fairing. Looking forward to seeing it all glued in place.

Regards,

Grant.

Gentlemen, Thank you very much for looking in and the nice comments.  I Love This Place  :D

All the treenails in the frames are done. so getting ready to raise the frames.  I have found 3 advantages so far at building at this bigger scale

1. It is not nearly so hard on my eyes

2. The treenail are alot bigger....don't have to keep breaking them while pulling through the drawplate to the smaller size

3. I can use my regular size powertools on this build such as my sanders

This is my detail sander, sanding the side before raising with a 320 grit, making sure the treenail are even

post-63-0-87276200-1365031321_thumb.jpg

With that done I started raising the first frame "C"

Was wanting to make sure the build board was square to the base first

post-63-0-25693500-1365031438_thumb.jpg

After that I clamped it in place to make sure it did not move

post-63-0-82818000-1365031473_thumb.jpg

I first test fitted the frame adjusting the keel notch slightly with a sanding stick (cheap fingernail file) Glued it in place and clamped it to the face board

post-63-0-51004500-1365031500_thumb.jpg

Then check for squareness again

post-63-0-89865100-1365031503_thumb.jpg

Rest of the frames waiting to be raised

post-63-0-76188900-1365031508_thumb.jpg

Now I have a Question for you.....Would you wait to pin (treenail) the frame to the keel after all frames are in place or would it be better to pin each frame as I go.

Also..Since this is a bigger scale I thought about using 2 treenails per frame maybe pin at slight angles to each other. This would prevent any movement at all.

Please voice your opinion.

Thanks

SEE YA LATER

Hi Pete, I love they way you are proceeding. Very well thought out and executed. For me

I would treenail each frame as you go. That would assist in keeping them secure in case

you should hit one while raising your other frames. I don’t see why you can’t use 2 treenails

if there is enough room. As you said it should be much stronger.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I agree. Treenail as you go. If the frame is in place, glued in and squared up, then it is ready to be treenailed.

Nice work so far. It looks like very careful work. That will pay dividends down the road.

Russ

Pete, thanks for showing us the care you've taken to insure accurate frames. Being the apprentice here I have only a gut feel for the question you ask about when to treenail the frames. So, I'll just watch and listen to what the group thinks.

A point I believe you are getting close to is fairing the frames to the proper bevel and taper from the keel to the deck clamp area and questions are starting to come to mind about the best approach to accomplishing this. I'm looking forward to how you'll be going about this task also.

Enjoying you log all around.

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Hi Pete,

Just catching up with your excellent build, beautiful and precise work on those frames Sir, your ship is coming along beautifully :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

As stated before I am treenailing as I go. Since I am at a larger scale I am going with a larger treenail for holding power than the scale calls for. They are about .047 dia. and 5/8" long.

With 2 per frame at a slight angle (like an X) should provide a strong joint.

Here is the first frame standing on it own

post-63-0-77629700-1365119034_thumb.jpg

Drilling the holes with my flex shaft on the dremmel

post-63-0-08667900-1365119079_thumb.jpg

Holes drilled

post-63-0-36435100-1365119084_thumb.jpg

Next installed treenails with diluted glue

post-63-0-96983100-1365119162_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

I would not dilute the glue you use on trreenails. Use it full strength.

The frame looks good. Nice job.

Russ

Moved on to the next frame. After the dry fit and checking for squarenss if glued it into place. 

post-63-0-92991300-1365119605_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-51015700-1365119611_thumb.jpg

Cut some temporary spacers for between the frames held in place with a drop of hot glue. Will replace with the permenant cherry spacers later

post-63-0-74461600-1365119608_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now...back to raising frames....

SEE YA LATER

Pete:

There is no need to dilute. The treenail should be an easy fit, with just a hair's bit of play. The glue coating on the treenail will take some space in the hole as it dries. I usually ream out the treenail hole ever so slightly to make the treenail a slide fit so that the wood glue coating will make it fit perfect. I wipe off the excess glue that squeezes out afterwards.

Your framing is coming along nicely.

Russ

Thanks for checking in. All the frames are raised and in place. The next job will be to fair the frames, hope there is enough meat on the frames for this.

Here's a few pictures of my progress to date.

post-63-0-16391900-1365290631_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-07531200-1365290634_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-51680700-1365290637_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-85419400-1365290639_thumb.jpg

Just had to take it out of the jig to see how it looked. Surprised how strong the frames are already...

post-63-0-20505600-1365290703_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-99556700-1365290705_thumb.jpg

Time to start sanding....sanding...sanding.... :(

SEE YA LATER

Pete:

So far, it looks pretty good. Just go slow with the sanding and check with a sample plank often.

Russ

It's looking great Pete. Nice job

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Very nice and precise work. It's looking good.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Nice frames Pete.A very smart move putting the planks across the top.I didn't  do that and I paid for it later.   Larry

Constellation by AL

Just a small update. Started doing a little of the sanding...time is getting tight since the warm weather has moved in...Gardens and yard work loom ahead, have to get all the mowers and tractors going taking away from the cross section   :(

So here are a few pictures of where I am at.............

Took measurements from the plans and transferred to the frames

post-63-0-36471700-1365804405_thumb.jpg

Marked each frame for the flat to be sanded

post-63-0-14929100-1365804433_thumb.jpg

Made up a sanding stick with 100 grit long enough to reach from end to end so sanding would be equal for each frame

post-63-0-05709500-1365804491_thumb.jpg

Pencil marked each frame to gauge when I had sanded down to make the frames level with each other

post-63-0-09003700-1365804548_thumb.jpg

Check with a straight edge to make sure was sanding evenly

post-63-0-12411300-1365804591_thumb.jpg

Also used the keesson to check

post-63-0-51448000-1365804636_thumb.jpg

Once this is sanded to suit me I will replace the temporary block between the frames with the permenant cherry wood.

So back to sanding and yard work.....

SEE YA LATER

Thanks for posting that Pete. Looks to me that you have a good technique going.

Man, we seem to be a ways from warming up here. I’m still waiting for 60 degree weather so I can put the sealer on my gantry building board. They’re talking snow again tonight. :(

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Nice progress, Pete.  Use the sanding stick idea for working up the inside and the outside of the hull before you start planking.  Putting the keelson on will help with rigidity before sanding.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice Pete your work is A-1.Teaching me a lot.   Thanks Larry

Constellation by AL

Nice work Pete

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way?  :(

Ron

Pete:

Nice work. That is some careful measuring and sanding. I like the sanding stick.

Russ